SPS RTN - weird finding

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just lost several corals to RTN... I tried fragging few that started, and none of them survived. basically any corals that touched died. all the corals that were separated lived. Makes me believe it is something moving through the corals, but not the water or rock work. It's been several weeks now since this happened. Now for the weird. i had a healthy coral that had broke off and was living/growing on the sand. I decided to move it to the section where the previous coral had RTN'd (been dead for a while).. started to green/brown from algae... i glued the healthy coral to that area (on top of an old dead coral stump). 2 days later it starts to RTN and is now completely dead. all other corals are fine. there is definitely something there triggering this.

thoughts?

OP
OP
sunken3

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ya.. i think it must be chemical/hormonal or some sort of microscopic pest... but it didn't seem to jump past non touching corals... but anything touching died... also the hormone (using the term loosely) seems to exist after the coral dies.

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just lost several corals to RTN... I tried fragging few that started, and none of them survived. basically any corals that touched died. all the corals that were separated lived. Makes me believe it is something moving through the corals, but not the water or rock work. It's been several weeks now since this happened. Now for the weird. i had a healthy coral that had broke off and was living/growing on the sand. I decided to move it to the section where the previous coral had RTN'd (been dead for a while).. started to green/brown from algae... i glued the healthy coral to that area (on top of an old dead coral stump). 2 days later it starts to RTN and is now completely dead. all other corals are fine. there is definitely something there triggering this.

thoughts?
Remove all the remnants of the coral you think is spreading RTN. Place another Coral on a fresh disk that was cut for a while in that area and if it dies still, check if there is a hotspot from your light, par is too low, flow too low or too high in that specific area. I can’t imagine a bacteria or whatever being isolated to a specific part of the tank. My guess would be it’s either light or something physical.

OP
OP
sunken3

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remove all the remnants of the coral you think is spreading RTN. Place another Coral on a fresh disk that was cut for a while in that area and if it dies still, check if there is a hotspot from your light, par is too low, flow too low or too high in that specific area. I can’t imagine a bacteria or whatever being isolated to a specific part of the tank. My guess would be it’s either light or something physical.
like i said.. I think its something chemical that the corals put out... nothing else has really changed. same light, water changes, flow. They were growing great and then RTN'd. but yes, I will not be putting any new corals in the area for a while.

OP
OP
sunken3

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know, but have you looked at this? https://coralrtn.com/
seems a bit scary. first off... it's an ad for their product (which always makes me skeptical)... it's also an herbal remedy.. which always makes me skeptical... last, it is non-toxic, but I need to wear protective wear... it's non-hazardous, but will kill my fish. (i'm a little skeptical).. .have you tried it?

Uzidaisies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seems a bit scary. first off... it's an ad for their product (which always makes me skeptical)... it's also an herbal remedy.. which always makes me skeptical... last, it is non-toxic, but I need to wear protective wear... it's non-hazardous, but will kill my fish. (i'm a little skeptical).. .have you tried it?
Lol, no sorry. I just watched like thirty seconds of that video. Didn’t vet the source, my bad. But hey, maybe there’s something to the Protozoa thing, who knows. Definitely right to be skeptical.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sunken3

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol no
Lol, no sorry. I just watched like thirty seconds of that video. Didn’t vet the source, my bad. But hey, maybe there’s something to the Protozoa thing, who knows. Definitely right to be skeptical.
oh I agree... I think there is truth to it.. just not sure I like the cure...I will watch the video (just read the page)

Uzidaisies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
sunken3

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol... I will need a little whiskey to get through that report. Thanks!

zeronum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I found on a peice that was rtn I pulled the frag and put it in a container with coral rx and iodine. Let it sit for like 20 minutes. This was a peice of flesh floating around.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

• Other.

Back