Sps Spotlight: Oregon Tort

Lacktaters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine in an area of very high flow at about 450 PAR under 4x54w ATI powermodule + 2 48" blue reefbrites. I'm getting really deep blue color and decent polyp extension. I've only had it for 2-3 months so I can't comment on growth.

Sorry for the blurry iPhone pic
7FBB9289-7293-4F80-86F4-6CAA2CE86F58-9827-000007B5F66709C2.jpg

CUNAReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice Lacktaters. I love the coloration on yours. I'm still working towards the deep blue purple color.

James

CUNAReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a nice chunky Joey. Dang James yours is looking so much better.

Thank you very much, Nuocmam! Just had to give it the right amount of light and nutrient. The ZEO products also help me adjust its color. I'm very excited to provide future growth shots of this coral. Looking back at the first pic of this coral is always fun. I am going to have to play with my white balance a bit. Now that I see the pics side by side, I may still have to use a grey card.

12-8-12
20121208_78.jpg

10-14-12
20121014_72.jpg

10-6-12 This is the side of the coral that shows the green coloration
20121006_2.jpg

9-01-12 More Green
20120901_14-1.jpg

6-24
018-5.jpg

2-2-12
2-2-2012038.jpg

Last edited:

Lacktaters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice Lacktaters. I love the coloration on yours. I'm still working towards the deep blue purple color.

Thanks James. I guess I lucked out and got a nice healthy frag from Sanh. I just dropped it in my tank, and within a month it had awesome color. No tinkering with Zeo additives or anything (I don't have the stones to use that stuff yet)

Last edited:

OurReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm in the process of proving that you can infact give one of these too much light. Ill wait another week or two and see if it gets lighter. About 8" below the surface under over driven 400w ushio 20ks.

OurReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True, the coral itself is blue, parts are getting light, but some of the polyps have a green tint to them.

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool shots, cool coral, and impressive growth. However, looking at the time splits and growth makes me virtually certain that's not an Oregon tort and is an ORA/Cali tort. I don 't think you'll be able to find anyone with an oregon tort that has experienced anywhere near that much growth in such a short period of time.

Growth form, coloration and growth rate just don't add up to Oregon tort...

Haha, okay I'm done harping on this :p Even if you think I'm out of my mind you should get an oregon with certain lineage and stick it next to yours for comparison...

Thank you very much, Nuocmam! Just had to give it the right amount of light and nutrient. The ZEO products also help me adjust its color. I'm very excited to provide future growth shots of this coral. Looking back at the first pic of this coral is always fun. I am going to have to play with my white balance a bit. Now that I see the pics side by side, I may still have to use a grey card.

Today
20121014_72.jpg

10-6-12 This is the side of the coral that shows the green coloration
20121006_2.jpg

9-01-12 More Green
20120901_14-1.jpg

6-24
018-5.jpg

Last edited:

CUNAReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Ike,

Hope all is well!

You are not harping at all :) You have an opinion and I value your feedback. Its the reason I posted my pics for the R2R community. If my coral does turn out to be Oregon Tort. Cool! If it turns out to be Cali Tort... Also cool! I'm just happy to share the pics and receive feedback from the friendliest reefing forum. Please do continue to provide your feedback as I continue to post pics.

Warmest Regards,
James

Cool shots, cool coral, and impressive growth. However, looking at the time splits and growth makes me virtually certain that's not an Oregon tort and is an ORA/Cali tort. I don 't think you'll be able to find anyone with an oregon tort that has experienced anywhere near that much growth in such a short period of time.

Haha, okay I'm done harping on this :p Even if you think I'm out of my mind you should get an oregon with certain lineage and stick it next to yours for comparison...

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know...my cali seems to get more pronounced terminal corallites then his coral in those pics. To me corallite structure looks more like oregon. Growth sure would be impressive for an oregon, but I would never rule it out because of that. Some people can just grow certain corals very fast. I have even seen purple monsters that grow fast(once reaching colony size)

OurReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has the same coralite structure as my ice tort, I know it's not that, I have to agree with the people that say nay. Although in my opinion I think it looks better than the Oregon with the green mixed in.

Me z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can make an oregon tort go green in a hurry just throw it under full spectrum lighting for a minute. I have no doubt whatsoever that his coral is an oregon tort as evident by the color and structure of the polyps. Cali tort does not have the characteristic polyps that oregon tort has ie the copper color and sheer size on the oregon. Mine is lineaged back a long long time and I can get mine to turn green just by changing spectrum on my lights. Also the only acro I have that grows faster than oregon tort is old school red robin stag or possibly the red dragon acro it is a beast when managed properly. Also cali tort has a much different growth pattern to it usually characterised by a high rising coralite tip at the top which the acro in debate lacks. Coralites are longer and more slender on the cali tort than the oregon. Any one who has been around any number of acros could tell you the pic is of an oregon tort just by the color of the polyps and the color of the blue oregon is a deep greenish blue cali is more vivid blue. IF you would like to maintain the deep blue of the oregon use more blue spectrum bulbs or royal blue leds if you would like to see green switch to a 10k bulb. My oregon likes light and grows very well in the top 1/3 of the tank, loves random flow, and hates any amount of phosphate (less than .07 to keep it growing fast). No idea how to post a pic to the forum it always says the file is too large.

sportzfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really your oregon tort grows fast? That goes against everything I have heard and from personal experience. I guess it is possible that once it gets to a certain size then it is sort of like a multiplier effect.

I can make an oregon tort go green in a hurry just throw it under full spectrum lighting for a minute. I have no doubt whatsoever that his coral is an oregon tort as evident by the color and structure of the polyps. Cali tort does not have the characteristic polyps that oregon tort has ie the copper color and sheer size on the oregon. Mine is lineaged back a long long time and I can get mine to turn green just by changing spectrum on my lights. Also the only acro I have that grows faster than oregon tort is old school red robin stag or possibly the red dragon acro it is a beast when managed properly. Also cali tort has a much different growth pattern to it usually characterised by a high rising coralite tip at the top which the acro in debate lacks. Coralites are longer and more slender on the cali tort than the oregon. Any one who has been around any number of acros could tell you the pic is of an oregon tort just by the color of the polyps and the color of the blue oregon is a deep greenish blue cali is more vivid blue. IF you would like to maintain the deep blue of the oregon use more blue spectrum bulbs or royal blue leds if you would like to see green switch to a 10k bulb. My oregon likes light and grows very well in the top 1/3 of the tank, loves random flow, and hates any amount of phosphate (less than .07 to keep it growing fast). No idea how to post a pic to the forum it always says the file is too large.

Me z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only truly slow growing acro I have experienced is the old school tyree purple monster he released back in the late 90s. As far as growth rates that will always vary for people as no two enclosed systems are the same. I can grow acros really really well but I cant keep an acan lord in my dt, acan echinatas but not lords. Thats just my system and the way the pieces fell. Corals should not but identified by growth rates or color, coralite structure, polyps size and color, are much more reliable ways of identifying an acro.

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really your oregon tort grows fast? That goes against everything I have heard and from personal experience. I guess it is possible that once it gets to a certain size then it is sort of like a multiplier effect.

I think you hit on it, exactly. Frags of Oregon Tort seem to be very slow growing. However, once you have an established colony at least in my experience, it actually grows pretty fast. When I've fragged my colony, new growth appears fairly quickly. The frags that I cut will encrust quickly, but growth is slow, much slower than growth on my colony.

CUNAReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found a couple older pics that look a little more like Oregon Tort. I also have a pic from this past weekend

12-16-11
dknucklesmyOregonTort-1.jpg

2-2-12
2-2-2012038.jpg

12-8-12
20121208_78.jpg

Last edited:

darryl_v

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly that really doesnt look like any oregon tort I've seen...its nice though....but I would just not guess its an oregon tort.

BillyC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly that really doesnt look like any oregon tort I've seen...its nice though....but I would just not guess its an oregon tort.

Agreed. I know I'm repeating what's been said already but the original Oregon tort does not have green like that and definitely grows MUCH slower. This is just one if those acros that can it grow fast.

Last edited:

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My oregon tort frag from april. sorry no current pic
IMAG0520.jpg

for all those who done think its a oregon tort it came from this colony owned by H@rry:
oregon_tort.jpg

(pic by H@rry)

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back