Sps Spotlight: Oregon Tort

darryl_v

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just read that the ORA Oregon tort is not the same as the original Oregon tort?? Maybe this is why we keep going back and forth about CUNAReefers piece.

rossco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The post quoted below is from Dustin of ORA here on R2R back in 2008, when ORA first released their Oregon Tort. Should take care of the questions. Click on the arrows the the right of his user name to be taken to the original thread.

ORA didnt name this coral the ORA Oregon Tortuosa, we don't have it listed anywhere as such. It is just true Oregon Tortuosa. We traded some California Tort for 4 1" frags from a guy named Jim in Portland Oregon in May of 2004.

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone tell me while mine has more green than the mother colony and why the poly extension is out the wazoo when compared to H@rry's mother?? Its gotten more green in the recent months which is why I wont take an update photo. I'm thinking the nutrients may be a bit lower than it likes but I have not idea about the drastic shift in polyp extension.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here's a current shot of my colony..... if it's not a deep dark blue, it's not an Oregon Tort I would ever want...............just make sure to have one that pops & it's all good.

oregontortredux121312.jpg
[/IMG]

BillyC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a current shot of my colony..... if it's not a deep dark blue, it's not an Oregon Tort I would ever want...............just make sure to have one that pops & it's all good.

Interesting... I, myself, prefer the bright royal blue of a true original Oregon Tort. IMO that's a huge characteristic that seperates it from all the other blue torts out there. Also, I have never ever seen a true Oregon tort develop any green whatsoever.

Here is a pic of my two tortuosas is my tank. On the left is the Oregon Blue Tort and on the right is the ORA Cali Tort. They're both recieving equal lighting and flow. You can see that the Oregon is a much brigher royal blue whereas that Cali is deeper and richer and develops the green towards the base. Also, the Oregon tort has been growing from a 1.5" frag and the Cali has been growing from a 1" frag. The oregon tort has been in my tank a few months longer than the Cali so you can see that the Cali tort grows much much faster.

3108BC80-FA1E-4D9F-9260-E0C2C4F297D2-6686-00000338DB2BAB5D.jpg

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Honestly I think it's a bit subjective on what you want to call the color..........navy blue, royal blue, ect. It looks dark to me straight on because the radial coralites shade the color & give it a darker deep look. I'm sure different lighting can cast the blue to look differently also.

Here's the original shot I posted, I'd say it looks more royal blue in this pic.........that was under 400w halides & lower nutrients than I run now.

105_0589.jpg
[/IMG]

The shot I took earlier & current is under T5s. They are all the same coral. I sold the colony off over the years and kept a small mini colony to start again.

I bought my frag around 9 years ago farmed from "reefer on a budget" ROAB, for Exotic Reefs when "tubs" (John Susbilla) was running things.

Jimbo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it's possible to give this too much light. This is in high flow also under ATI T5's
image.jpg

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This by far is the most beautiful SPS IMO. I love solid bold colors. This coral has been in captivity for over a decade! I have never seen any other species of acropora come in that comes close to resembling this species which tells me that this particular species of acropora is a super species of a very unique find. Not a 0 a.tortuosa by any means. Good thing Travis from Upscales was able to salvage his share from Waves or this coral would not be in our hobby! Thanks Travis Love it!!!! :wink:

125e429f-5bfa-40e4-b6cc-61a1ef994c31_zps8030c289.jpg

Last edited:

adw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a serious old school coral.

Definitely seems to be a difference between the one from upscales in my opinion the original oregon tort and the ORA. Both are beautiful but in my experience the original even when it gets bigger isn't a fast grower and has a very very solid blue coloration to it.

You can get it to go absolutely nuclear blue if the conditions are just right. Never seen another blue coral like it.

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im pretty sure that the one from ORA and the Upscales are one in the same. Maybe some folks are confusing it with the ORA Cali Tort.

CUNAReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone on another forum mentioned the green in the ORA Oregon Tort. Since its been so widely debated, I decided to give ORA a call and ask them if their Oregon Tort can develop green. I was able to speak with Todd and he confirmed that the ORA Oregon Tort can develop green coloration under certain lighting conditions. He compared it to the color change in their red planet. The Oregon Tort that came from Waves and Upscales has a solid blue coloration with no hint of green. Here is the thread that goes into the lineage of the coral. Its really a good read

Oregon Tort(s?) Lineage Questions - Reef Central Online Community

Here is the phone number of ORA:

772-468-7008

Dial 0 to speak with someone and you can ask about any of the corals they grow.

Warmest Regards,
James

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Oregon Tort came strait from Travis in Oregon and I have had the ORA. I physically can not tell the difference. I have had the one from Travis have some areas shift a little green when I replace my bulbs. ORA states that they received their frags from Oregon. I have seen Cali Tort which is notorious from being green and blue have a complete blanket of blue pigmentation over the entire colony. Pigmentation shift from blue to green or green to blue happens. ORA Oregon Tortuosa | Acropora sp. | Oceans, Reefs & Aquariums

CoralFragZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This by far is the most beautiful SPS IMO. I love solid bold colors. This coral has been in captivity for over a decade! I have never seen any other species of acropora come in that comes close to resembling this species which tells me that this particular species of acropora is a super species of a very unique find. Not a 0 a.tortuosa by any means. Good thing Travis from Upscales was able to salvage his share from Waves or this coral would not be in our hobby! Thanks Travis Love it!!!! :wink:

125e429f-5bfa-40e4-b6cc-61a1ef994c31_zps8030c289.jpg

Lots of other Torts on this board. Nice authentic O Tort... Let me know if you decide to frag it.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 47 29.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 28.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.0%
Back