"SPS turning Green"

marreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well hey guys whats up im new here so i thought i would start my first post with a problem i have which is some of my blue tenius and purple acroporas are turning green on there growth tips which is a little unusual considering all my water parameters are perfectly fine, i was thinking maybe it was a problem with my lighting but i have 2x150watt mh radium 20k and 2x96watt t5 for a 55 gallon i think its more than enough. what do you guys think.here's my water parameters.need help:squigglemouth:

salt 1.024
mag 1350
cal 420
alk 8dkh
po4 .3ppm
no3 undectable
temp 78-81

ddiver

Fragging Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My blues and and purples usually go thru a green phase before turning solid blue/purple...

OP
OP
M

marreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would guess that it would happen to maybe one or two at a time but not all of them were talking about 3 or 4 colonys thats just a little to weird

OP
OP
M

marreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah i can post some pics tonight and yes .03 is the the correct po4 reading sorry for the typo

jam3s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
you might consider changing your bulb. A year is long time for some bulbs esp. if you running them with HQI's.

Brshriver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen that too at times - but at the base not the tips. Blue torts with a lot of green at the base. A tri-color with more green than purple. It seems like a change in bulbs affects it. My frag tank corals don't show it right now but the main tank does and they share water. Lighting and flow are the only differences.

holyscoly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also higher iodine levels can cause this to like overdosing on lugols or iodine sup.

Brshriver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I do dose seachems vitamin supplement sometimes which contains iodine. I bet that is part of it.

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would imagine it's because of the lower par bulbs combined with them being older. I've got an old Phoenix bulb on my frag tank and it will turn Acroporas green in the same exact water as my display tank.

THEMADREEFER

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree with low par being the culprit. I had 150w ab bulbs and went to 20k radiums and aproximately six months into the new bulb I had a similar problem.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back