Stability

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This gets thrown around loosely on here.
There are a few that know what this means, most don't.
I see people preach it yet do the opposite.
Let's talk about what stability means to everyone.

OP
OP
Scdell

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. That's basic.
Let me extrapolate on this a little.
I'm not looking for ALK , MAG and Cal stability.
That's basic

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think stability, at least in the way that I think most reefers think of it, is largely overrated. And I’d go one step further and say that it’s unnatural. Obviously, wild parameter swings are not good, but it’s been my experience that slight variations in temp, salinity, and alkalinity are healthier, more natural, and overall more beneficial to corals and the inhabitants of our tanks than hardcore stability.

Again, I’m not talking about big, fast parameter swings, but allowing your tank’s temp to vary by a few degrees, or your salinity to vary by a couple ppm, or your alkalinity to swing by +/- 0.3 dkh is overall a benefit to your tank. Corals in the wild experience these changes minute to minute, throughout the day, seasonally, and over decades.

The temp on a reef can vary by several degrees minute to minute, the salinity and alkalinity can change significantly during a rain storm (most corals come from the tropics where it rains a lot, shallow in shore reefs see big swings during storms). Nutrient levels vary on natural reefs, too, though I think most people keep their nutrients well above natural reef levels, so that’s of less relevance to my point.

I have observed that when parameters are kept as stable and static as possible, any tiny change causes a noticeable negative reaction in corals, whereas tanks where parameters are allowed to vary, corals aren’t stressed by minor changes. While I think it’s important to keep parameters within acceptable ranges, I do think that not allowing for some variance is detrimental. Over time it leads to corals that are less hardy and less suitable for average home aquariums.

I think when you’re first starting in the hobby, it’s probably good to aim for stability, because once you’re able to keep things stable, you’re able to allow for some instability in a controlled way. But, overall, and especially for experienced reefers, stability is given way too much importance.

rusgum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my understanding, stability is a stable system in terms of biology, in which it is not so easy to break the chain of ongoing processes. Stability cannot be measured by tests

Last edited:

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. That's basic.
Let me extrapolate on this a little.
I'm not looking for ALK , MAG and Cal stability.
That's basic

you asked what stability means to us, when someone answers you say you are not looking for that...maybe say what you are looking for then. Bit of a guessing game atm.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This gets thrown around loosely on here.
There are a few that know what this means, most don't.
I see people preach it yet do the opposite.
Let's talk about what stability means to everyone.
I don't need help. I'm wondering what people think about this.
I watch my tank, intently, I don't screw around with things, namely the latest and greatest, is that what you were looking for? Cause otherwise it's all quite cryptic.

mermaid_life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think stability, at least in the way that I think most reefers think of it, is largely overrated. And I’d go one step further and say that it’s unnatural. Obviously, wild parameter swings are not good, but it’s been my experience that slight variations in temp, salinity, and alkalinity are healthier, more natural, and overall more beneficial to corals and the inhabitants of our tanks than hardcore stability.

Again, I’m not talking about big, fast parameter swings, but allowing your tank’s temp to vary by a few degrees, or your salinity to vary by a couple ppm, or your alkalinity to swing by +/- 0.3 dkh is overall a benefit to your tank. Corals in the wild experience these changes minute to minute, throughout the day, seasonally, and over decades.

The temp on a reef can vary by several degrees minute to minute, the salinity and alkalinity can change significantly during a rain storm (most corals come from the tropics where it rains a lot, shallow in shore reefs see big swings during storms). Nutrient levels vary on natural reefs, too, though I think most people keep their nutrients well above natural reef levels, so that’s of less relevance to my point.

I have observed that when parameters are kept as stable and static as possible, any tiny change causes a noticeable negative reaction in corals, whereas tanks where parameters are allowed to vary, corals aren’t stressed by minor changes. While I think it’s important to keep parameters within acceptable ranges, I do think that not allowing for some variance is detrimental. Over time it leads to corals that are less hardy and less suitable for average home aquariums.

I think when you’re first starting in the hobby, it’s probably good to aim for stability, because once you’re able to keep things stable, you’re able to allow for some instability in a controlled way. But, overall, and especially for experienced reefers, stability is given way too much importance.
Completely agree with this! Making everything super level all the time is not natural. Stability to me means ebbs and flows and no drastic changes. If you can condition your tank to a wider range of ebbs and flows, the stronger and healthier it is.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
everything grows in my tank, nothing has ever died (except for jumping and being eaten). My feeding schedule, water change schedule, lighting schedule, are all very consistent. I don't test like I know I should, but my tank is stable, I don't need tests or others to confirm that for me.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"What does stability mean to YOU?"

Stability is xyz.

"WRONG!"

Asinine.

So enlighten us then, OP. What does it actually mean?

OP
OP
Scdell

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is well said. I agree there's too many hard parameters being thrown out that people have to follow.

OP
OP
Scdell

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The point I'm trying to get at is people claiming stability is key until they run into problems.
Then it's throw anything and everything at the tank for a quick fix, which just goes against the whole point. I believe your bacterial system needs stability along with the basics.
Along with this is people keeping their tank too sterile. The oceans are far from sterile.
Our tanks are little ecosystems. We need to provide the right things for it, but not declare certain parameters must be followed or certain failure will happen.

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like the word "stability" is often misrepresented as only having water parameters in a specific range.
I think that establishing a SIMPLE routine and sticking with it is more important than watching parameters A,B,C and keeping them exactly at X,Y,Z. This is often achieved by dumping various bottles of "stuff" into your tank until the numbers all line up. I think that it is easy to get hung up on water parameters, because numbers are easily quantifiable. If the numbers are all good, then everything must be ok, right?
Well, if you dumped 8 different bottles of additives in there to achieve these "perfect" numbers, you have probably done more harm than good... Ask yourself. "How do all of these chemicals affect the things in our tanks that we can't easily quantify with numbers?" Bacterial populations, trace elements, etc...
If you dump all 8 bottles in at specific intervals, and have established a consistent routine and your tank is happy, then great, but now you have created 8 different points for errors to occur.
IMO Simplicity + Consistency = Stability

OP
OP
Scdell

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like the word "stability" is often misrepresented as only having water parameters in a specific range.
I think that establishing a SIMPLE routine and sticking with it is more important than watching parameters A,B,C and keeping them exactly at X,Y,Z. This is often achieved by dumping various bottles of "stuff" into your tank until the numbers all line up. I think that it is easy to get hung up on water parameters, because numbers are easily quantifiable. If the numbers are all good, then everything must be ok, right?
Well, if you dumped 8 different bottles of additives in there to achieve these "perfect" numbers, you have probably done more harm than good... Ask yourself. "How do all of these chemicals affect the things in our tanks that we can't easily quantify with numbers?" Bacterial populations, trace elements, etc...
If you dump all 8 bottles in at specific intervals, and have established a consistent routine and your tank is happy, then great, but now you have created 8 different points for errors to occur.
IMO Simplicity + Consistency = Stability
Well said. These are the points I'm trying to make.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 15 78.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.5%
Back