Staghorn hermit crab

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everybody! I have a stag horn hermit crab I got off of Liveaquaria and put it in my tank. The hermit crabs shell's hydroids seemed to be opened for the first week or two (like little hairs were protruding out) but the hair seems to have not come out and parts of his shell are light brown. I add marine snow and reefroids once a day and add phytoplankton twice a week my question is are his little hydroids dying and am I feeding the right foods?

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hydrocoral on his back has zooxanthellae just like corals. What they need most is proper lighting. They should be cream or tan so I wouldn't worry if it looks light brown. Phyto Feast would probably make a good supplemental food.

OP
OP
Sosuke

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hydrocoral on his back has zooxanthellae just like corals. What they need most is proper lighting. They should be cream or tan so I wouldn't worry if it looks light brown. Phyto Feast would probably make a good supplemental food.

Thank you for respondingI have a kessil on the tank so I think that's probably fine and I will buy Phyto Feast and see what happens. Thank you!

alvinhsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so on the topic of staghorn hermits. I’ve had one for a few months. I found the shell empty a few days ago, and just tonight I saw the same hermit crab in a new shell. It swapped out of the coral, and into a snail shell. Will the crab ever go back to its old shell?

OP
OP
Sosuke

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so on the topic of staghorn hermits. I’ve had one for a few months. I found the shell empty a few days ago, and just tonight I saw the same hermit crab in a new shell. It swapped out of the coral, and into a snail shell. Will the crab ever go back to its old shell?

I don't see a problem with that as long as the crab stays happy, IMO I don't think it will go back in its old shell because if it changed its shell it probably was getting bigger. I have also read about them abandoning their shells and going to a regular shell

Sirvin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So years late but, if you want to keep them with the coral shell. You can't have any other shells in the tank at all. they cut away at the coral as they grow to keep it as a home. However they are lazy and will drop it for an easy bigger shell.

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So years late but, if you want to keep them with the coral shell. You can't have any other shells in the tank at all. they cut away at the coral as they grow to keep it as a home. However they are lazy and will drop it for an easy bigger shell.
Do you have firsthand experience with this? Would be nice if it’s true but just haven’t heard this before. I was wondering if you could just frag the bryozoan from the old shell and attach it to the new one and it would grow to cover it?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 29.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.2%
Back