Stand question

Stevesreef225

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, was looking for some opinions on if I should add center supports to my stand that I made for my new 100 gallon 5 ft by 18" tank. Was obviously looking to avoid center supports which is why I used 2x6s up top. Let me know what you guys think !?

IMG_0694.JPG

IMG_0696.JPG

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acrylic or glass tank? Acrylic needs more support; glass doesn't need much center support.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a glass tank to me so I'd agree you're all good to go!:cool:

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thanks for the replys guys!
I used 2x4 and I put of on the center.. Not that it is needed for the tank but I might need it to drill into to hang something over the fuge like supports, lights, reactors etc. you never know. it did not cost me anything to add one more piece of wood in the center. just my opinion..

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure 30-34 hight!! Easy for skimmer clean and plumbing. !!!! I got 28 hight. Is hard!!! I need too rebuild my. Dam!
Yes I also do suggest high as you can. I made mine 36 Inches tall.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without question, these stands are so over built, that no center support is needed. My only suggestion is to add 3/4 plywood top to "level" out any imperfections in the dimensional lumber. FYI, I too have a five foot 90 gallon on this type of stand for over ten years....and no center support.

OurStand.jpg

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice 36 is too tall hard too set up tank. 32-34 will be perfect

Gosh, my stand is 39 1/2 inches high! But with me at six foot, and my tank only 20 inches high, I can still reach over the top, right to the bottom of the tank. :D

jimmyzhou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea that will work. my tank is 24 " tall. I will need a step but i don't have to bend over to see tank.

We have the same size tall tank. Soo I need a salt bucket when I moveing rocks on my tank.
This tool will helps you a lot moveing around corals. I use them great stuff. My hand don't get wet any more
a3e8aa106d4c11942dddc718aa9199e2.png

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built my current stand at 39". I'm 6' as well. I built it that way as to be taller than any couch so as to sit and look at the tank.

Small step stool works wonders when needing to get deep in the tank.

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed on the height, mine is 40" tall. I'm 6'4" and just used a step ladder to aquascape and tongs when i need to reach the bottom. If i need to hit the bottom with my hands I again, use the step stool, but hasnt been necessary except when mounting a few low light corals early on. I was tired of crouching down or bending over to view my tank. BTW, i prefer these over any of the "mainstream" aquarium tongs. Cornbred told me about them. They are longer and easier to use than say the eheim or the ones pictured above. They can also open wide enough to pick up large discs or other items where as my eheim could only open up big enough for plugs. They are stainless steel but still whipe them dry or they will rust eventually.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Huge-Tweeze...197767?hash=item23129df787:g:6Q8AAMXQSbtSLwwe

OP
OP
S

Stevesreef225

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update! With another question. Got the tank on the and and am a little worried about some gaps between the stand and tank. The tank is thouching all around except for 2 spots on the front. I circled the area that isn't touching. I've tried shimming but can't get it perfect. What do you guys think? Note it is touching on both sides and the middle.

IMG_0835.JPG

IMG_0823.JPG

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update! With another question. Got the tank on the and and am a little worried about some gaps between the stand and tank. The tank is thouching all around except for 2 spots on the front. I circled the area that isn't touching. I've tried shimming but can't get it perfect. What do you guys think? Note it is touching on both sides and the middle.

IMG_0835.JPG

IMG_0823.JPG
Don't shim in between the tank and stand (not sure if that's what you meant) only shim between the stand and the floor. Technically trimmed aquariums only need to be supported on all 4 corners, both ends is better than that, and the full rim is obviously ideal. Having said that, I think you are fine and it's possible the trim is a little off and will compress square to the tank and stand once it is filled. Just make sure the tank and stand are level and that all 4 corners are touching.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back