Star fish not looking great...

Medic3170

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help!! He is obviously not doing well... all parameters are perfect. Temperature is 78°. I did lose one green Cromis this week but now he is looking poorly. Natural death? Or something I can fix

image.jpg

LgTas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately that's pretty limited testing so doesn't rule out parameters. You could have had an alk or salinity change thats affected him.

USMC 4 LIFE

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, you can’t say parameters are “perfect” when you’re not fully checking all of them!

Buy a text kit and check Alk, Cal, mag, nitrate, phosphate. Raise your salinity to 1.025 and do more research on what’s required to maintain these animals.

This site has plenty of information. Use it prior to making purchases.

LgTas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you do raise your salinity (which you need to do) do it slowly. Another question is how old your system is?

Unfortunately most star fish are moderate or expert level livestock and many species can have distinct requirements that need to be met just for them to persist in an aquarium (let alone thrive).

As has been suggested above, find out what species you are considering and do some reading on what they need and how to keep them alive before making a purchase. Don't let sales people at an LFS make the decision for you. Take this as a lesson learnt for the future.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you do raise your salinity (which you need to do) do it slowly. Another question is how old your system is?

Unfortunately most star fish are moderate or expert level livestock and many species can have distinct requirements that need to be met just for them to persist in an aquarium (let alone thrive).

As has been suggested above, find out what species you are considering and do some reading on what they need and how to keep them alive before making a purchase. Don't let sales people at an LFS make the decision for you. Take this as a lesson learnt for the future.
Ya, I'd like to know exactly how old this system is as well. Actual starfish ( not the brittles or serpents) are rather finicky imo, and demand an established tank . Every time I see a Linkia or Fromia in an LFS I say a little prayer, because I know they likely aren't going to live much longer, unless picked up by an experienced reefer with a magic touch....for the record, had 2 Sand sifters here for 3 years, now I have one, as of a month ago.

LgTas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, I'd like to know exactly how old this system is as well. Actual starfish ( not the brittles or serpents) are rather finicky imo, and demand an established tank . Every time I see a Linkia or Fromia in an LFS I say a little prayer, because I know they likely aren't going to live much longer, unless picked up by an experienced reefer with a magic touch....for the record, had 2 Sand sifters here for 3 years, now I have one, as of a month ago.

That's pretty good going with the sand sifters as most perish after a few months (once the sand bed is devoid of life).

I have one sand sifter and one Fromia indica. I spot feed my sand sifter with reef roids and get a good feeding response.

OP
OP
M

Medic3170

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the tank is new, only 6 months old. This guy is fed a dried shrimp once a week and still is eating. The rest of ten time he grazes in sand and on algae on back wall. I'll increase my salinity in my next water change... thanks for the tips

OP
OP
M

Medic3170

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soooo, this tank is about 6mo old, maybe I added him to early but have never had a problem in my old tanks. After an increase in salinity to 1.024 all seams to be well. I have had these stars before and have never had an issue. Thanks for your help

LgTas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soooo, this tank is about 6mo old, maybe I added him to early but have never had a problem in my old tanks. After an increase in salinity to 1.024 all seams to be well. I have had these stars before and have never had an issue. Thanks for your help
Glad to hear it!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back