Starfish recommendations

keddre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a starfish? I would love that classic look in my tank but I don't care for brittles, and with my flame scallops and dusters that sit unguarded, the popular chocolate chip star is out too. Thanks

OP
OP
keddre

keddre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fromia and Linckia.
Red fromia is a cool looking star
These look cool. I'm looking into them now, but only quickly until I get home.

I think links's need an established reef.

Welp, that could be a problem as I don't have a reef on the first place. Do they need something reef specific, like coral, or do you just mean an aged tank in general?

Sponge eaters
I was actually looking at one of those on divers den, which is why I made another post on here asking where I could buy non ornamental sponges. Lol

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These look cool. I'm looking into them now, but only quickly until I get home.

Welp, that could be a problem as I don't have a reef on the first place. Do they need something reef specific, like coral, or do you just mean an aged tank in general?

I was actually looking at one of those on divers den, which is why I made another post on here asking where I could buy non ornamental sponges. Lol
Nice. So good to see research. It's one of those common sales to new tank owners that can go badly.

Take a look at GARF. They sell or will sell a lot of that stuff.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favorite is the Marbled Sea Star or Fromia monilis, I don't have enough room for one right now but it will definitely be in my future 150+ gallon build :)

In Pensacola we have a super cool sand-sifting starfish called the royal sea star, I've always thought that they would be a cool addition to a big tank with a deep sand bed. It's not uncommon for me to find one or two complete specimens while snorkeling at the beach.

OP
OP
keddre

keddre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look at GARF. They sell or will sell a lot of that stuff
Skimming now, if anything I might be contacting to see if they want to hire me as a web developer...sesh

My favorite is the Marbled Sea Star or Fromia monilis
Will look into this as soon as I finish with this GARF site

super cool sand-sifting starfish called the royal sea star
I'll look this up too; however it may be an automatic no, as I shy from sand sifters because of the fact that I do have a DSB. It's not all no though, because I am looking for a sifter that wouldn't kill the sand bed

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the same website as the 9o's

You can find them in FB now too.
The original owner has passed , and his wife is quite elderly. They've had some help keeping things going if late.

A Lot of folks poo poo them. But not when you say GARF Bansai.

OP
OP
keddre

keddre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the same website as the 9o's

You can find them in FB now too.
The original owner has passed , and his wife is quite elderly. They've had some help keeping things going if late.

A Lot of folks poo poo them. But not when you say GARF Bansai.
Well you just made me feel better that I offered to do it for "free."

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would seriously hesitate to get a starfish with flame scallops. It's very common for starfish to eat bivalves.

I have a "common" starfish from KP Aquatics. It's small and hardy but not as spectacular as Fromia. KP is in the keys and has low stock availability right now (due to hurricane damage) but I've always gotten very high quality from them.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would seriously hesitate to get a starfish with flame scallops. It's very common for starfish to eat bivalves.

I have a "common" starfish from KP Aquatics. It's small and hardy but not as spectacular as Fromia. KP is in the keys and has low stock availability right now (due to hurricane damage) but I've always gotten very high quality from them.
Weird. Two years with my scallop and The big star.

Grey Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chocolate Chip star fish are very hardy, but will eat everything in your tank. Don’t know about SPS though.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the various Fromia species. They're gorgeous and quite active even during the daytime, crawling over everything without doing any damage. They don't always travel well though and a very slow acclimation suits them best; even then, they may die or lose a limb within a few days or a week. The most gorgeous of them all, the Tile Star Fromia monilis, also seems to be the most fragile; I've had these arrive literally disintegrating in the bag despite the best possible handling and overnight shipping. My lfs reports similar experiences and only occasionally has any Fromias at all.

SaltLifer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3952.JPG

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 170 72.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.1%
Back