Starfish

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Has anyone successfully kept a starfish other than a brittle, sand shifting, or asternia starfish in a 20 gallon nano tank long term? I know some can be supplementally fed and they need an established tank. And there’s some small breeds of starfish.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone successfully kept a starfish other than a brittle, sand shifting, or asternia starfish in a 20 gallon nano tank long term? I know some can be supplementally fed and they need an established tank. And there’s some small breeds of starfish.
No, and a sand sifter will likely starve unless it's a very well established 20 gallon.

lilly.hall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a cc starfish
chocolate chip starfish are great. They are pretty hardy and easy to take care of. Just know they will eat you’re corals and if they grow too big you will need to transfer them to a larger tank. I have one in my 50 gallon tank.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a cc starfish

chocolate chip starfish are great. They are pretty hardy and easy to take care of. Just know they will eat you’re corals and if they grow too big you will need to transfer them to a larger tank. I have one in my 50 gallon tank.
How long have you had it? The fact is, the vast majority of starfish don’t make it past 6 months, their survival rate is so poor long term that they shouldn’t even be collected.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starfish are definitely difficult but the are not impossible to keep. If they shouldn't be collected it's because the shops selling them aren't responsible enough to emphasize what their husbandry entails.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starfish are definitely difficult but the are not impossible to keep. If they shouldn't be collected it's because the shops selling them aren't responsible enough to emphasize what their husbandry entails.
But that is irrelevant if the tank owner doesn't care for the animal accordingly.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of the same as putting a fish in a small tank it was never designed for. Have to ask yourself why would someone do this knowing it is bad for the animal?

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the harlequin serpent starfish if your set on having one . I’ve seen them kept in 20 gallon tanks with much success and they don’t look like your typical brittle . Just stay away from the green and brown ones if you plan to have small fish in the tank as well .

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@AydenLincoln starfish are awesome but why not give your husbandry skills just a little more time to develop...caring for a star in a small tank really takes a lot of work, knowledge, and time that you'd probably rather dedicate to your other inhabitants right now...I can't tell you how much time I spent last night tediously researching everything I could about my Fromia star so I can take the best care of him possible...enjoy the simpler critters first and you'll be ready before you know it!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ive had orange and red sea stars and well as red knobby in smaller tanks but these are also challenging as are linkia stars

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@AydenLincoln starfish are awesome but why not give your husbandry skills just a little more time to develop...caring for a star in a small tank really takes a lot of work, knowledge, and time that you'd probably rather dedicate to your other inhabitants right now...I can't tell you how much time I spent last night tediously researching everything I could about my Fromia star so I can take the best care of him possible...enjoy the simpler critters first and you'll be ready before you know it!
Oh I know! It’s not going to be anything soon my tank is only a few months old!

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the harlequin serpent starfish if your set on having one . I’ve seen them kept in 20 gallon tanks with much success and they don’t look like your typical brittle . Just stay away from the green and brown ones if you plan to have small fish in the tank as well .
Stay away from green brittle stars in general :face-with-spiral-eyes::face-with-spiral-eyes: I have a monster green brittle in my sump after he ate a few fishy friends

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you been keeping starfish? Have you kept one alive long term (for 2+ years)?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 19.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 40 50.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.1%
Back