Starfish

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Joined
Mar 27, 2022
Messages
7,146
Reaction score
10,451
Location
Easton
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Has anyone successfully kept a starfish other than a brittle, sand shifting, or asternia starfish in a 20 gallon nano tank long term? I know some can be supplementally fed and they need an established tank. And there’s some small breeds of starfish.
 
Has anyone successfully kept a starfish other than a brittle, sand shifting, or asternia starfish in a 20 gallon nano tank long term? I know some can be supplementally fed and they need an established tank. And there’s some small breeds of starfish.
No, and a sand sifter will likely starve unless it's a very well established 20 gallon.
 
Has anyone successfully kept a starfish other than a brittle, sand shifting, or asternia starfish in a 20 gallon nano tank long term? I know some can be supplementally fed and they need an established tank. And there’s some small breeds of starfish.
I have a cc starfish
Has anyone successfully kept a starfish other than a brittle, sand shifting, or asternia starfish in a 20 gallon nano tank long term? I know some can be supplementally fed and they need an established tank. And there’s some small breeds of starfish.
chocolate chip starfish are great. They are pretty hardy and easy to take care of. Just know they will eat you’re corals and if they grow too big you will need to transfer them to a larger tank. I have one in my 50 gallon tank.
 
It's so weird that you'd make this post right now since me and a few other members were just trying to organize our own lite starfish club :
The Linckia, Fromia, and All Other Amazing Starfish Keeper Club!

I know we need a catchier name haha
 
I have a cc starfish

chocolate chip starfish are great. They are pretty hardy and easy to take care of. Just know they will eat you’re corals and if they grow too big you will need to transfer them to a larger tank. I have one in my 50 gallon tank.
How long have you had it? The fact is, the vast majority of starfish don’t make it past 6 months, their survival rate is so poor long term that they shouldn’t even be collected.
 
Starfish are definitely difficult but the are not impossible to keep. If they shouldn't be collected it's because the shops selling them aren't responsible enough to emphasize what their husbandry entails.
 
Starfish are definitely difficult but the are not impossible to keep. If they shouldn't be collected it's because the shops selling them aren't responsible enough to emphasize what their husbandry entails.
But that is irrelevant if the tank owner doesn't care for the animal accordingly.
 
Has anyone successfully kept a starfish other than a brittle, sand shifting, or asternia starfish in a 20 gallon nano tank long term? I know some can be supplementally fed and they need an established tank. And there’s some small breeds of starfish.
Kind of the same as putting a fish in a small tank it was never designed for. Have to ask yourself why would someone do this knowing it is bad for the animal?
 
Check out the harlequin serpent starfish if your set on having one . I’ve seen them kept in 20 gallon tanks with much success and they don’t look like your typical brittle . Just stay away from the green and brown ones if you plan to have small fish in the tank as well .
 
@AydenLincoln starfish are awesome but why not give your husbandry skills just a little more time to develop...caring for a star in a small tank really takes a lot of work, knowledge, and time that you'd probably rather dedicate to your other inhabitants right now...I can't tell you how much time I spent last night tediously researching everything I could about my Fromia star so I can take the best care of him possible...enjoy the simpler critters first and you'll be ready before you know it!
 
Ive had orange and red sea stars and well as red knobby in smaller tanks but these are also challenging as are linkia stars
 
Ive had orange and red sea stars and well as red knobby in smaller tanks but these are also challenging as are linkia stars
Same here but I'm pretty sure we've both got a little more experience under our belts...
 
@AydenLincoln starfish are awesome but why not give your husbandry skills just a little more time to develop...caring for a star in a small tank really takes a lot of work, knowledge, and time that you'd probably rather dedicate to your other inhabitants right now...I can't tell you how much time I spent last night tediously researching everything I could about my Fromia star so I can take the best care of him possible...enjoy the simpler critters first and you'll be ready before you know it!
Oh I know! It’s not going to be anything soon my tank is only a few months old!
 
Check out the harlequin serpent starfish if your set on having one . I’ve seen them kept in 20 gallon tanks with much success and they don’t look like your typical brittle . Just stay away from the green and brown ones if you plan to have small fish in the tank as well .
Stay away from green brittle stars in general :face-with-spiral-eyes::face-with-spiral-eyes: I have a monster green brittle in my sump after he ate a few fishy friends
 
@AydenLincoln starfish are awesome but why not give your husbandry skills just a little more time to develop...caring for a star in a small tank really takes a lot of work, knowledge, and time that you'd probably rather dedicate to your other inhabitants right now...I can't tell you how much time I spent last night tediously researching everything I could about my Fromia star so I can take the best care of him possible...enjoy the simpler critters first and you'll be ready before you know it!
How long have you been keeping starfish? Have you kept one alive long term (for 2+ years)?
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 5 33.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 20.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 20.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new