Starks Damsel safe to add?

aaron186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Sea Reefer 425 (47x22x22) (~90 gal). I have a Starks Damsel in quarantine given to me by a friend. He seems peaceful but it’s in his own 20 gal QT tank. I’m wondering if it’s safe to add as my final fish and wanted to get your opinion on if I should try it.

Current stocking:
White tail bristletooth tang (4 inches)
Small yellow tang from biota
Foxface (3 inches)
Coral beauty
Royal gramma
Melanarus wrasse
Red head salon fairy wrasse
2 x snowflake Clowns
Pink spot watchman
Tiny fire fish that barely comes out
Tiny bicolor blenny that also lives in the rocks

I have an avast marine plank autofeeder that feeds about 3 cubes worth of reef jerky daily split over every 2 hours. My filtration is strong with a filter roller and my nitrates stay stable at 5

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just read this thread https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/starcki-damsel.608416/

and I think it might work but suspect that it could become the dominant fish in your system, and possibly create a bit of a row with the tangs and clown pair to decide who gets to be the boss of the system.

The tank is already full of fish, especially once the current inhabitants grow up. Leaving more room now is a good idea for later. Did you plan on having one more fish, or is it just a fish that came to you for free? The most difficult stocking issue I have encountered in the hobby is to resist adding more fish, one at a time until all hell breaks loose. I don't know if this observation has been documented on here before? Might be a good thread topic, but i digress.

Lets see what other folks say?

OP
OP
A

aaron186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just read this thread https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/starcki-damsel.608416/

and I think it might work but suspect that it could become the dominant fish in your system, and possibly create a bit of a row with the tangs and clown pair to decide who gets to be the boss of the system.

The tank is already full of fish, especially once the current inhabitants grow up. Leaving more room now is a good idea for later. Did you plan on having one more fish, or is it just a fish that came to you for free? The most difficult stocking issue I have encountered in the hobby is to resist adding more fish, one at a time until all hell breaks loose. I don't know if this observation has been documented on here before? Might be a good thread topic, but i digress.

Lets see what other folks say?
I was open to one more as it looks like I have space for it but wasn’t planning on it. But it’s a free expensive fish that’s hard to pass up

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was open to one more as it looks like I have space for it but wasn’t planning on it. But it’s a free expensive fish that’s hard to pass up
Free and expensive, that sounds like the deal I got with my spouce. Man has it ever been expensive! Hope your fish is a model citizen. :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :face-with-hand-over-mouth:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back