Starting a 10 Gallon Nano Reef?

Sway.B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been trying to decide what to do with my fish tank for quite some time now. As it is only a 10 gallon (I've had it for about 5 years), I don't have a ton of choices for fish. As for saltwater, I'm mainly interested in clownfish. Nothing too extravagant. (Not looking into corals right now)

I have been researching for a good while now on nano tanks, but none of the websites seem to give me the whole picture.

What's the best way to start up a 10g a saltwater nano? And, is it safe to use the 10 gallon tank I already have?

GraphicReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 10 gallon for clownfish is pretty undersized. Ive seen it done before but once they get larger it'll be cramped. The cost difference between a 10 and a 30 or 40 gallon tank would be minimal and I think you'd be happier with the outcome. Ive seen some good info on reef keeping nano tanks of YouTube but the Bulk Reef Supply 52 Weeks of Reefing segment they did last year is extremely helpful ( Its on YouTube as well) Its pretty lengthy to watch all of them fully but they have great information. They cover basically all aspects of setting up a reef tank ( though on a larger scale, 160 Gallons I believe ) If you're still wanting a 10 gallon I would suggest smaller nano-fish like gobies.

OP
OP
S

Sway.B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 10 gallon for clownfish is pretty undersized. Ive seen it done before but once they get larger it'll be cramped. The cost difference between a 10 and a 30 or 40 gallon tank would be minimal and I think you'd be happier with the outcome. Ive seen some good info on reef keeping nano tanks of YouTube but the Bulk Reef Supply 52 Weeks of Reefing segment they did last year is extremely helpful ( Its on YouTube as well) Its pretty lengthy to watch all of them fully but they have great information. They cover basically all aspects of setting up a reef tank ( though on a larger scale, 160 Gallons I believe ) If you're still wanting a 10 gallon I would suggest smaller nano-fish like gobies.

Thank you very much! I had read that percula clowns could be kept in a ten gallon, so I'll definitely be doing more research before I decide whether or not I really want to go with SW or not. Unfortunately, I'm stuck with a 10 gallon, because my parents won't let my get another tank. Again, thank you very much! I'll check out YouTube some more, and the ones you mentioned! :)

GraphicReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much! I had read that percula clowns could be kept in a ten gallon, so I'll definitely be doing more research before I decide whether or not I really want to go with SW or not. Unfortunately, I'm stuck with a 10 gallon, because my parents won't let my get another tank. Again, thank you very much! I'll check out YouTube some more, and the ones you mentioned! :)

I mean they can be housed in a 10 gallon but many will agree its not ideal for them. Once you go saltwater you'll be hooked! and yeah YouTube is a great resource for information but try to find videos from reputable people or businesses... It'll go far!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 26.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back