Starting a fish room

Chris04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey everyone
Need your advice , finally got the approval from my other half to build my own fish room.

My current tanks is a 210 gallon sps Dominat tank with a 30 gallon frag tank attached and 40 gallon sump

Want to upgrade the frag tank and add in a 150 and run them all off one sump. I already planned out the plumbing and where everything going to be in the room.
Plan on setting up the new sump , frag tank and the new 150 tank in the room and start them cycling. Going to use water from my 210 when I do my weekly water change to help seed it and add a few pieces of rock from it also some sand.
The thing is when I move my 210 to the room I plan on putting my sps into the 150 while I break down the tank and add it all back once set up into the room

Have several thing that I am worried about

- 1 when I set up the 210 and move everything back what’s the chances of losing some sps
- 2. I am now adding about 200 gallons into the system is it going to make it unstable and cause issue like my coral start to rtn
-3 my two part dosing should I just stop for the first week and just hand dose based on my test and what’s needed or just keep my dose the same and same schedule

Any advice to make this move easy would help out allot

P.S. one main reason I am moving the 210 the wall behind it damaged from a old leaking sump and need to be repaired

RamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Pretty good SPS hate change.
2. It makes the system more stable, however, sps are finiky.
3. You consumption should not change, I would change as little as I could.

Your main upset will come from adding new rock. If you can don't change the rock volume, and add dry rock one piece at a time to your sump to get everything seeded.

KCSUMPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hows it coming along? Wondering if you have pics...? Ideas? Learning? I am just beginning the fish room build...

OP
OP
Chris04

Chris04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hows it coming along? Wondering if you have pics...? Ideas? Learning? I am just beginning the fish room build...

Actually never moved my main tank. Worried me to much have to much money in sps to move it and take that risk

KCSUMPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. So do you have a fish room now that is separate from your display for quarantine, etc?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back