Starting a new Red Sea Max E260

JLandes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today, I finally pulled the trigger on a new Red Sea Max E260 and it should arrive by the end of the week. I really love the all-in-one feel as it is going to be my upgrade from my Coralife Biocube 32. I am looking for ideas and feedback for what to stock in the tank (over time of course). Here is a list, in no particular order, of some of the things that I like (not necessarily set on having in this tank):

Pair of Clownfish
Coral Beauty Angel
Royal Gramma
Six Line Wrasse
Small School of Chromis
Squaretail Bristletooth Tang
Yellow Eye Kole Tang
One Spot Foxface
Mandarin Dragonet
Yellow Watchman Goby
Starry Blenny
Bubble Tip Anemone
Frogspawn Coral
Green Star Polyps
Green Polyp Leather Coral
Devil's Hand Leather Coral
Kenya Tree Coral
Birdsnest Coral
Red and Green War Coral
Various Mushroom Corals
Various Zoanthid Corals
Shortspine or Tuxedo Urchin
Sand Sifting Starfish
Emerald Crab
Blue Leg and Scarlet Hermit Crabs
Turbo Snails
Nassarius Snails
Cerith Snails
Fighting Conch
Cleaner Shrimp

I would love to hear what you all have stocked in your setups and what you think about any of the items on my list. I will likely be setting up with at least 80 lbs of live sand, a mix of dry and live rock, and sticking to mostly all stock equipment to get started. May slowly upgrade equipment over time, so suggestions in that department would be welcome as well. Of course I will post pictures and stuff as I go. Thanks everyone!

Millimylilly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stocking list looks fine, what equipment are you going to be running? What dimensions are the E260?

OP
OP
JLandes

JLandes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stocking list looks fine, what equipment are you going to be running? What dimensions are the E260?
The E260 is 69 gallons (56 Display, 13 Rear Built-in Sump) and is about 36" long. I am going to initially run only the included stock equipment, but will eventually upgrade and add to it over time.

Millimylilly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What equipment comes stock? I have no idea. I just got a reefer170 and I didn’t think it came with anything but the tank and cabinet but I could be wrong

OP
OP
JLandes

JLandes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What equipment comes stock? I have no idea. I just got a reefer170 and I didn’t think it came with anything but the tank and cabinet but I could be wrong
The reefer comes with less equipment included. The Max E260 comes with 2 ReefLED 90's, dual 1100 gph return pumps, a Red Sea E Series Skimmer, and a media rack with Reef-Spec carbon media. Going to setup and start cycling with some live sand, live and dry rock, and just the stock equipment. Any other equipment I should think about adding from the start?

Millimylilly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that comes with a lot! Only thing I think is missing would be a heater. So does the reefer not come with anything? Or just return pump?

OP
OP
JLandes

JLandes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that comes with a lot! Only thing I think is missing would be a heater. So does the reefer not come with anything? Or just return pump?
I am definitely considering a heater for it right away, but haven't decided on which one yet. The Reefer series allows for more customization and does not come with a return pump or skimmer. It also has an in-cabinet sump instead of the Max's built-in sump chamber in the back of the tank (AIO like a Biocube). The reefer usually does not come with lighting either unless the person elected for the deluxe version, which comes with the same ReefLED 90's.

OP
OP
JLandes

JLandes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really should get the additional in cabinet sump kit offered by red sea.
I am considering it as a future upgrade. My wife is already cringing at the money I am dropping on it all. lol

I was actually considering the Reefer 350 at first, but decided on the slightly smaller Max E260 because I tend to move a lot and I liked the plug-n-play aspect since I am used to dealing with Biocubes.

OP
OP
JLandes

JLandes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well guys, it finally happened! I picked up my new Red Sea Max E260 from the LFS, brought it home, and set it all up. I added about 70 lbs of CaribSea Fiji Pink live sand and about 70 lbs of dry rock (25 CaribSea Life Rock Shapes and 45 Marco base and shelf rock). I also pulled a couple of really small rocks from my Biocube. In addition to all of the stock equipment, I added a 200W AquaTop heater and a ReefWave 25 wave maker. Filled it all up with LFS saltwater and now the waiting begins!

I know the pictures aren’t the greatest, but I can never get them to come out good with the lights. I think it might have been a lot of rock but it kinda works, may have to play around with the aquas cape some more but I didn’t want to use any glue/cement at all. I also haven’t dialed in all the equipment to ideal settings yet, but I figured that would come over time.

Anyways, what is everyone’s preferred cycling method (fishless with food, add pure ammonia, add live bacteria, add a cheap fish)? Once the cycle is complete, what are some good livestock options to start out with? Would love to hear all of your feedback, personal experiences, suggestions, and advice. Thank you for the read and hope you all enjoy this process as much as I do!

0BC5C61E-F737-49D1-ADCD-13BCEE7D7AF4.jpeg
8AFE7263-05EB-447F-8E6C-328316474B22.jpeg
C2F34E11-CE4E-464C-B926-44D79AFC94DB.jpeg
0086A583-628F-45AD-B1CE-3BB7F3817823.jpeg
C0E0F886-6A8F-4F59-BE6C-934C30D68BEE.jpeg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back