Starting a new tank

cooperdude916

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm new on here and I've decided I wanted to get a little involved while I start a new tank. I've had a couple of basic tanks in the past but this time I decided I want to go with something a little nicer. As of right now I am looking at buying a Waterbox Cube 20. Does anybody here have experience with this tank or something similar? Also, are there any similarly sized tanks around the same price ($200)? Thank you very much! I look forward to this new adventure.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about a biocube 32? They are pretty cheap which leaves you room to upgrade the light if you prefer.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about a biocube 32? They are pretty cheap which leaves you room to upgrade the light if you prefer.

OP
OP
C

cooperdude916

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That biocube is pretty nice. Do you know how the quality compares to the waterbox? Also, I have an AI prime light from my previous tank. Thats partially why I wanna start a cube

Bo.

Impatient as always
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you looked into fijicube?

OP
OP
C

cooperdude916

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you looked into fijicube?

I've never heard of fijicube. That looks very nice. It looks very similar to the waterbox one.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
Both the Waterbox and Figicube seem like great options. I'm leaning toward the Figicube, but not crazy about the wait time. :rolleyes: I have a Biocube 29 sitting empty in my shop. The AIO filter is alright, but I'm not fond of the curved acrylic display. I'd definitely go with flat panel glass. Just personal preference.

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like that dual weir design in the fijicube and the filter sock capability. I modded a basic nano tank with two sumps for this reason. I put an after market HOB fuge initially as my filtration but I didn't like that I could not add a filter sock to remove detritus and that would accumulate in the fuge and since it was a HOB , it wouldn't skim the surface so an oily film would develop.

AIO have the weir to do this, and the fijicube can accommodate filter socks.

So I added a weir and a DIY under the tank sump. But I noticed a lot of the detritus I would stir up wouldn't make it up to the weir, so I lowered in the intake pump a few inched above the sand bed,

The fuji cube as a second weir lower in the tank. Since there is no sump below the tank, overflow is not an issue permitting the use if a lower intake. I love this option.

IMO, that fijicube will do a better job and filtering out the detritus keeping your sand bed cleaner

OP
OP
C

cooperdude916

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
Both the Waterbox and Figicube seem like great options. I'm leaning toward the Figicube, but not crazy about the wait time. :rolleyes: I have a Biocube 29 sitting empty in my shop. The AIO filter is alright, but I'm not fond of the curved acrylic display. I'd definitely go with flat panel glass. Just personal preference.
Yeah I'm in the same boat. One of my LFSs had a 29g biocube set up for awhile and i wasn't too big of a fan of the curved display. I think I might just bite the bullet and buy the waterbox this weekend.

OP
OP
C

cooperdude916

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like that dual weir design in the fijicube and the filter sock capability. I modded a basic nano tank with two sumps for this reason. I put an after market HOB fuge initially as my filtration but I didn't like that I could not add a filter sock to remove detritus and that would accumulate in the fuge and since it was a HOB , it wouldn't skim the surface so an oily film would develop.

AIO have the weir to do this, and the fijicube can accommodate filter socks.

So I added a weir and a DIY under the tank sump. But I noticed a lot of the detritus I would stir up wouldn't make it up to the weir, so I lowered in the intake pump a few inched above the sand bed,

The fuji cube as a second weir lower in the tank. Since there is no sump below the tank, overflow is not an issue permitting the use if a lower intake. I love this option.

IMO, that fijicube will do a better job and filtering out the detritus keeping your sand bed cleaner
How big of a difference will this make over the Waterbox one? I really like the design of both of them but the wait time on the fijicube is quite awhile. I'd really like to get a tank up a little sooner than that.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That biocube is pretty nice. Do you know how the quality compares to the waterbox? Also, I have an AI prime light from my previous tank. Thats partially why I wanna start a cube

I like the biocubes. They aren't as "luxurious" as tanks made by companies like waterbox or red sea in terms of having that ultra low iron glass and rimless look, but they are pretty competitive when it comes to price. I guess it more or less depends how much you want to spend and what kind of look you are going for.

OP
OP
C

cooperdude916

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the biocubes. They aren't as "luxurious" as tanks made by companies like waterbox or red sea in terms of having that ultra low iron glass and rimless look, but they are pretty competitive when it comes to price. I guess it more or less depends how much you want to spend and what kind of look you are going for.
I looked on Amazon earlier today and I couldn't seem to find any of the biocubes for under $360. Im guessing thats way more than they should be as I'm pretty sure I've seen the 32g one for closer to $250 in the past. I did read somewhere earlier that fijicube uses the same supplier as waterbox for the cubes. If that's actually true I might just go with the waterbox since the fijicube is backordered into July.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked on Amazon earlier today and I couldn't seem to find any of the biocubes for under $360. Im guessing thats way more than they should be as I'm pretty sure I've seen the 32g one for closer to $250 in the past. I did read somewhere earlier that fijicube uses the same supplier as waterbox for the cubes. If that's actually true I might just go with the waterbox since the fijicube is backordered into July.

It could be because of the whole covid thing. A lot of things are backed up.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back