Brian Goldstein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all Reefers!

This will be my first build thread on R2R.

My Red Sea Reefer 170 will be arriving on Tuesday. I plan on documenting everything about the tank and sharing pictures of the overall build and the specimens I put inside. I am in the process of applying to get my Masters Degree in Marine Biology, so I want to make owning the 170 an educational experience as well.

Here is the equipment I will be using for my RSR170:

Filtration: -Vectra S1 Return Pump
-VorTec MP10
-Jebao RW-4 Wavemaker

Skimmer: -Deltec SCA 1351

Lighting: - Kessil A360W-E Tuna Blue (w/ Spectrum Controller) (Kessil Mounting arm)

I will be posting updates with pictures regularly! Let me know if you guys have any comments or advice!

Thanks,
Brian

OP
OP
Brian Goldstein

Brian Goldstein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE:

I had a sudden change of heart. I will be getting the RSR 250 instead of the 170. I know for a fact I am going to regret not going bigger. I also prefer the longer dimensions than the cube dimensions of the 170.
I will be using all of the same equipment, except I will be going with 2 x Kessil A160WE instead of the Kessil A360.

I would love to hear about your experiences with your Reefer.
Will be posting updates/pictures soon!

-BG

OP
OP
Brian Goldstein

Brian Goldstein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Deltec SCA 1351 just came! Wow, what a beautiful piece of equipment.

Getting closer and closer!

IMG_5136.JPG

IMG_5137.JPG

IMG_5138.JPG

IMG_5139.JPG

Kayzah

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Brian,

Your project is shaping up very well. It was a good choice to go for the RSR 250, I think its size is just perfect (I personally own a RSR 170, and I had a RSR 350 in the past but was too big for a beginner like me, I disposed of it after just 5 months).

My only remark is that even though the skimmer DELTEC SC 1351 is well-rated for a RSR 170, do you thing it will keep up with a RSR 250? I would suggest you to inquire about that, so that you can sell your DELTEC SC 1351 while its still new, and get an upper-graded one (e.g. DELTEC SC 1455, Nyos Quantum 160 or else).

Anyway, I'm following your thread. Good luck!

Kay

OP
OP
Brian Goldstein

Brian Goldstein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, thanks so much for taking the time to reply!

I am happy I decided on the 250. How do you like your 170? Do you see yourself upgrading?

According to the research I've been doing, the 1351 is a great skimmer for the 250. It's all I can do right now for my budget unfortunately.

-BG

Hi Brian,

Your project is shaping up very well. It was a good choice to go for the RSR 250, I think its size is just perfect (I personally own a RSR 170, and I had a RSR 350 in the past but was too big for a beginner like me, I disposed of it after just 5 months).

My only remark is that even though the skimmer DELTEC SC 1351 is well-rated for a RSR 170, do you thing it will keep up with a RSR 250? I would suggest you to inquire about that, so that you can sell your DELTEC SC 1351 while its still new, and get an upper-graded one (e.g. DELTEC SC 1455, Nyos Quantum 160 or else).

Anyway, I'm following your thread. Good luck!

Kay

Kayzah

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, my 170 is new. It isn't even filled with water yet.

But I see myself upgrading, yes. I bought the RSR 170 on purpose just to cut my teeth on it. But I had no intention to keep it in the long run. My ultimate objective would be to get a REEFER 425 XL when I'm enough experienced in the hobby.

According to the research I've been doing, the 1351 is a great skimmer for the 250. It's all I can do right now for my budget unfortunately.
Then it's alright!

Trey302

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good choice on the 250! I like the size because it's big enough to grow into, but not big enough to seem overwhelming. I've had mine set up a little over a year and a half and have really enjoyed it. That being said I am currently considering an upgrade to the 425 XL. I love the 4x2 footprint of the 120 I used to have and the 425 is pretty close to that so I may be upgrading in the near future.

If you haven't already check out the thread Broadfield started in the reef forum. It's full of good info on reefer tanks that will be helpful along the way.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/show-off-and-discuss-your-red-sea-reefer-series.219309/

OP
OP
Brian Goldstein

Brian Goldstein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good choice on the 250! I like the size because it's big enough to grow into, but not big enough to seem overwhelming. I've had mine set up a little over a year and a half and have really enjoyed it. That being said I am currently considering an upgrade to the 425 XL. I love the 4x2 footprint of the 120 I used to have and the 425 is pretty close to that so I may be upgrading in the near future.

If you haven't already check out the thread Broadfield started in the reef forum. It's full of good info on reefer tanks that will be helpful along the way.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/show-off-and-discuss-your-red-sea-reefer-series.219309/

Thanks for your reply! Exactly, 55 gallons seems large now, but I know it won't for long.. Would love to see your 250! What lights are you using?

-BG

Trey302

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the tank as it is now. I'm using the Kessil AP700 as you can probably tell. I actually started the tank with 2 A160's but decided to upgrade in case I wanted some higher light corals or upgraded tanks at some point. In some ways I actually liked the simplicity of the 160's with the spectral controller better than the AP700, but I guess you're not as limited on what stuff you can keep with the higher power light. I think you'll be happy with the 160's though.

IMG_5443.jpg

Trey302

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a picture of the tank when I first set it up. One thing I will say is I like the cleaner look of how the AP700 mounts vs the 160's with the gooseneck mounts, but the lights themselves are pretty awesome.

20160617_123441.jpg

OP
OP
Brian Goldstein

Brian Goldstein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the tank as it is now. I'm using the Kessil AP700 as you can probably tell. I actually started the tank with 2 A160's but decided to upgrade in case I wanted some higher light corals or upgraded tanks at some point. In some ways I actually liked the simplicity of the 160's with the spectral controller better than the AP700, but I guess you're not as limited on what stuff you can keep with the higher power light. I think you'll be happy with the 160's though.

IMG_5443.jpg

Wow, you have yourself a beautiful reef, sir. Love the scape and how you decided to go with less rock than more. The 700 really lights the tank up beautifully.

I decided I'm going to use one Kessil A360 to light the tank initially, then upgrade to another A360. What do you think about running 2 360's?

-BG

Trey302

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I know it's really not, but the tank is starting to look a little cluttered to me which is why I'm considering an upgrade. I'd like a lot more open spaces between the rock and more open areas in the sand. I just seem to generally prefer tanks that have more of a minimalist look than ones that are packed full of stuff from top to bottom.

I think 2 360's will be perfect for this tank! Coverage should be great and I don't think you would be limited on what type of corals you could keep with the power of those lights. I definitely think you'll be happy with them!

OP
OP
Brian Goldstein

Brian Goldstein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my 250! It arrived a few days ago and is now built! =D It looks a lot bigger in person =O but its absolutely beautiful. The cabinet doors were a huge pain to get on tight; still tightening them..

Vectra S1 and MP10 will be here tomorrow. I should have water, rock, and sand in the tank by Saturday.

IMG_5146.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brian Goldstein

Brian Goldstein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a RSR 250 too!!! What other equipment are you going to get?

Nice! Feel free to post your build. Here is the equipment I have on the tank right now. It's currently in the midst of cycling.

- Vectra S1 return pump
- 1 x Kessil A360we with controller (will be adding another in the near future)
-Deltec SCA1351 protein skimmer (the skimmer is working very well already)
-Vortech MP10
-Jebao Rw-4 wavemaker

-BG

OP
OP
Brian Goldstein

Brian Goldstein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the tank finally has fish and corals. I waited a few weeks to cycle, but wish I could have waited longer. So far the corals look decent (I just put them in a few hours ago), they're still adjusting. My parameters are in check though. The scape will look a lot nicer once the rocks start growing some algae and they blend better... but its a work in progress. Let me know what you guys think!

IMG_5169.JPG

IMG_5172.JPG

IMG_5173.JPG

Branespikin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful with that nem. It too early to have one in an unestablished tank.
I went from mp10 to mp40s. Much better. Mp10 was spinning on my glass. I actually got 2 one on each side but inly ine is on for now. Turn it on here and there. Definitely need another kessil for coverage. Great tank you will love it

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back