Starving BTA?

IE Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon reefers, I've been having my 29g for almost a year (April) and I'm experiencing some BTA trouble. Not too long ago my split BTA decided to move about my tank for a new location. During the move they were smaller in size compared to early February. Just recently they found their "spot" (move around in the same area of the tank), but continued to stay small. I wasn't too worried about them at the time, but today one of the half showed signs of starvation (shown in image below on the purple rock). I am looking to purchase some Viparspectra 165w's because I am currently running Current USA Orbit Marine IC LED's and was wondering if that might help them. I normally feed them Benepets while I feed my corals 3x per week (when I first started to use Benepets, they would normally create a web to capture the food, much like how hammers would eat), but the BTAs seem unresponsive.

Setup:
29g DT
~8g Sump w/ refuge and skimmer
1x Current USA Orbit Marine IC LED
1x Current USA Wavepump 660gph
*running carbon through filter sock*

Livestock:
1x Yellow Watchman Goby
1x Ocelaris Clown
2x Green Chromis
1x Mandarin Dragonet
?x Hermit crabs
~2x Margarita snails
?x Baby Margarita snails (I'm not sure yet)

Coral:
Colony of Blue/Brown Palythoas
3x Hammer of God Zoas
2x Blood Sucker Zoas
GSP
2x Orange/Green Florida Ricordea
1x Kenya tree
~5x Green Palythoas
1x Green/Blue Hammer
3x Branching Green Hamorch (Hammer + Torch)

Levels:
Nitrates: Low (Last time I checked at my LRS it was around 0.5ppm (due to water evaporation) and was a couple of weeks ago)
Nitrites: 0ppm
Ammonia: 0ppm
pH: 8.0ppm

IMG_0622[1].JPG IMG_0623[1].JPG IMG_E0624[1].JPG

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates at 0 or really low isn't good. Mine like is around 10 or 15

OP
OP
IE Reefer

IE Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates at 0 or really low isn't good. Mine like is around 10 or 15
After some studying I came to realize that nems like above normal nitrates. What could I do to increase the numbers?

OP
OP
IE Reefer

IE Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can decrease your export methods, feed more, and/or dosing nitrates
I haven't done a water change in a while. I've only have to add RO water bc of evaporation which is my hypothesis on why my nitrates aren't rising. How could I dose nitrates? Any recommended brands?

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't done a water change in a while. I've only have to add RO water bc of evaporation which is my hypothesis on why my nitrates aren't rising. How could I dose nitrates? Any recommended brands?
I use brightwell neonitro and have no complaints. You can also mix your own solution using sodium nitrate (can buy on Amazon) but I’ve never tried that so can’t speak on it much

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Less time with lights on for chaeto, larger feeding, don't use filter socks. All can raise nitrate

OP
OP
IE Reefer

IE Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use brightwell neonitro and have no complaints. You can also mix your own solution using sodium nitrate (can buy on Amazon) but I’ve never tried that so can’t speak on it much
I'll try the brightwell and see how things go. Hopefully everything goes back to normal, thank you!

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree increase nitrate and test for phosphate. Those lights are definitely going to need to be improved on. I personally dont like viparspectra etc as they are chinese black box leds, but yea they do work. Brand names are always better, more proven, and just look way better. Orphek or3 bars are my go to answer to add light cheap as you can buy them one by one if on a budget.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After some studying I came to realize that nems like above normal nitrates. What could I do to increase the numbers?
Above 'normal' how would be my question to you....they in all my days require very clean water, meaning if you are slightly high on nitrates that's ok, beyond that forget about it. Low nitrates they should thrive, I'm curious on the Phos numbers as well? Careful before dosing nitrates....if anything feed a bit more and see what happens short term. Lighting is another factor. The 1x Current USA is maybe a bit 'light' so to speak....it doesn't matter what you feed the nem relatively speaking, a healthy piece of shrimp, mussel or scallop every week or two should hang it in. It's the zooanthylye that will sustain it....
Another thing I see is your coral list is at 29g close to max. That Kenya and Torch are eating nutrients as quick as you add them. Is the Kenya fragging off?

Last edited:
OP
OP
IE Reefer

IE Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Above 'normal' how would be my question to you....they in all my days require very clean water, meaning if you are slightly high on nitrates that's ok, beyond that forget about it. Low nitrates they should thrive, I'm curious on the Phos numbers as well? Careful before dosing nitrates....if anything feed a bit more and see what happens short term. Lighting is another factor. The 1x Current USA is maybe a bit 'light' so to speak....it doesn't matter what you feed the nem relatively speaking, a healthy piece of shrimp, mussel or scallop every week or two should hang it in. It's the zooanthylye that will sustain it....
Another thing I see is your coral list is at 29g close to max. That Kenya and Torch are eating nutrients as quick as you add them. Is the Kenya fragging off?
Yes, its been almost a month since it started to. I never knew that there was a capacity for corals in a tank, I better lay off the research lol. I think I should have used a different word than "above normal" because people normally run their tanks around 5-10ppm, right? I have the API saltwater test kit (which has a bad rep for bad testing) so I can't give an accurate estimate of my phos.

OP
OP
IE Reefer

IE Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree increase nitrate and test for phosphate. Those lights are definitely going to need to be improved on. I personally dont like viparspectra etc as they are chinese black box leds, but yea they do work. Brand names are always better, more proven, and just look way better. Orphek or3 bars are my go to answer to add light cheap as you can buy them one by one if on a budget.
I would love to buy Primes but its just the cost of them, even $100 lights are a bit pricy for me (I'm using my lawnmowing and recycling money to pay for this hobby). The reason why I'm going for the black box is because they are cheap ($60 on OfferUp) and they give a big bang for your buck.

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon reefers, I've been having my 29g for almost a year (April) and I'm experiencing some BTA trouble. Not too long ago my split BTA decided to move about my tank for a new location. During the move they were smaller in size compared to early February. Just recently they found their "spot" (move around in the same area of the tank), but continued to stay small. I wasn't too worried about them at the time, but today one of the half showed signs of starvation (shown in image below on the purple rock). I am looking to purchase some Viparspectra 165w's because I am currently running Current USA Orbit Marine IC LED's and was wondering if that might help them. I normally feed them Benepets while I feed my corals 3x per week (when I first started to use Benepets, they would normally create a web to capture the food, much like how hammers would eat), but the BTAs seem unresponsive.

Setup:
29g DT
~8g Sump w/ refuge and skimmer
1x Current USA Orbit Marine IC LED
1x Current USA Wavepump 660gph
*running carbon through filter sock*

Livestock:
1x Yellow Watchman Goby
1x Ocelaris Clown
2x Green Chromis
1x Mandarin Dragonet
?x Hermit crabs
~2x Margarita snails
?x Baby Margarita snails (I'm not sure yet)

Coral:
Colony of Blue/Brown Palythoas
3x Hammer of God Zoas
2x Blood Sucker Zoas
GSP
2x Orange/Green Florida Ricordea
1x Kenya tree
~5x Green Palythoas
1x Green/Blue Hammer
3x Branching Green Hamorch (Hammer + Torch)

Levels:
Nitrates: Low (Last time I checked at my LRS it was around 0.5ppm (due to water evaporation) and was a couple of weeks ago)
Nitrites: 0ppm
Ammonia: 0ppm
pH: 8.0ppm

IMG_0622[1].JPG IMG_0623[1].JPG IMG_E0624[1].JPG
I have one of the 300w viparspectras. Moved my bta's from metal halide to this a few years ago and my nems haven't skipped a beat. I've been very happy with the viparspectra personally . Also anemones don't really need supplemental feeding just good light so your isn't likely starving. I've not fed mine in over 5 years and all are larger than my hands.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 111 87.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back