STEEZY’s Nuvo 20 Build

STEEZY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, this is my Nuvo 20 I put together, just poured in some ammonia and Fritz Turbo start today.

This is not my first reef tank but it has been a long time. I had a 38 gallon cube about 11 years ago, but my wife served in the Navy and this required us to move frequently making a reef tank impractical. Now we are settled for a while in Florida and the hobby came back to me as it seems quite popular here.

Here is a list of the gear I have/plan to use:

Innovative Marine Nuvo 20
Radion XR15 G4 (diffuser on the way)
MP10 (Currently on Reef Crest at 70% but welcome to suggestions!!)
Tunze ATO
Inkbird Wifi Controller
Eheim Jager 75w
Kasa (TP link) Smart power strip

18ish pounds of Caribsea Special Grade sand
15ish pounds of Caribsea or Marco Rock
22 1.5” MarinePure spheres
Filter Floss

I have an inTank media basket on the way, not going to put anything in there yet besides filter floss. I also have a UV sterilizer (2 actually) that came with the tank so I’ll probably use one on one end after it’s cycled.

I haven’t really decided on filtration once the tank is cycled, but was planning to keep it simple, just filter floss and maybe Chemipure blue or something not much else. I am hoping to receive some suggestions here, don’t think I want to run a skimmer unless I find it necessary.

Aquascaping
79C244A7-BF37-4176-BF19-4E8838C01EF7.jpeg

Tank setup in progress, before cable management

0ECCA5D1-9121-4E22-9FA6-95AC1CFC4B86.jpeg
AD04ACFB-8CE2-44ED-B0B6-630E5672C532.jpeg

All tidied up and turn the light on for one shot but it is staying off for a while.

B4C3D90C-6C19-4F1A-8269-729204BCFEDB.jpeg
4C62CEC1-5FFC-40D1-B5C1-33C884BB51A5.jpeg
75382F3F-857D-463A-94B0-5BFB57705538.jpeg
0B21CEB4-379D-49E5-9392-4ACC6698BAC3.jpeg

OP
OP
S

STEEZY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A day after I added the Fritz turbo start, my inTank media basket came in the mail so I swapped it instead of the filter sock, put in some filter floss and replaced the filter floss on the other side.

Now I’m wondering if this was a mistake as they were noticeably red/pink and wondering if I removed a lot of the good bacteria?

Should I add another bottle or the Turbo start?

I started with 2ppm Ammonia, currently at .6ppm, this is the 4th day. Nitrites are high, over the 1ppm that the Red Sea test kit maxes out at. I have not bothered testing for Nitrates.

OP
OP
S

STEEZY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CFDE84DE-6785-4D8B-BA4B-F659E88944BE.jpeg

I changed up the aquascape a bit to have the cliff/overhang on the left and think it clears up that side instead of it just being a blob of rock.

Let me know what you guys think! Better, worse, about the same?

OP
OP
S

STEEZY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, what do you have in mind for stocking? I like the overhang on the left side.
I was thinking of doing:

-2 clowns (some type of ocellaris as I’ve read they are the least mean)
-Pink Streaked Wrasse
-Purple firefish or Tailspot Blenny

Do you think that’s too many? Would not add them all at the same time. Want to add clowns first for their hardiness but last to reduce chance of aggression lol.

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of doing:

-Pink Streaked Wrasse

Do you think that’s too many? Would not add them all at the same time. Want to add clowns first for their hardiness but last to reduce chance of aggression lol.
Those are all fish I like, but others will have to tell you if it's too many. It looks like the ends of the rock may be close to the glass. Just a reminder to keep them far enough away so that the glass cleaner will fit through the gap.

OP
OP
S

STEEZY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand this is not the best picture, I am still trying to figure that out!

But I was wondering if anyone could offer input on where I should be pointing the returns and if my MP10 place is good or if I should move it up? The returns are pointed somewhat downward in opposite directions but still create surface agitation.

Oh and if you look closely you can see my first resident! A black ice clown, “Bonnie” or “Clyde” depending on the next clown I add .

92E75F7C-D905-4B4B-92F6-D5A09D065F76.jpeg

zuri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks good for mp10 I prefer my nozzles up to the surface so it rolls back over rockwork

OP
OP
S

STEEZY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks good for mp10 I prefer my nozzles up to the surface so it rolls back over rockwork
Thank you,

I might consider spinstreams or VCA RFGs to have more random flow as well. I was worried the MP10 might create too much of a “racetrack” flow. Although I don’t really want to upgrade the stock pump and I’m not sure it have enough flow with 2 of those.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

STEEZY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am surprised to find that I need to dose 3ml a day of Red Sea alkalinity to maintain my ~7.5 dkh. I was under the impression I wouldn’t have to dose anything for at least a few monthson a new tank. Does anyone have insight on why this would be? If I don’t dose my alkalinity drops about .5 dkh a day.

zuri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how are you cleaning your testing tubes? are you testing calcium aswell? are you dosing 1:1?

OP
OP
S

STEEZY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how are you cleaning your testing tubes? are you testing calcium aswell? are you dosing 1:1?

I rinse with RODI water 3 times, currently not testing calcium as I don’t have a test kit for it. So not dosing it either.

zuri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
make sure an wipe them out not just rinse, do not want residue affecting your testing. personally I add 1ml h202 an swirl it around then rinse, rodi an than wipe. I was taught long ago you dose 1:1 always
you need to test calcium every so often this important alk every day calcium once a week. I only test mag when calcium drops.
an yes the tank can consume large amounts of alk an calcium in a day but with a tank with nothing in it idk really have to go the guru @Randy Holmes-Farley

OP
OP
S

STEEZY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
make sure an wipe them out not just rinse, do not want residue affecting your testing. personally I add 1ml h202 an swirl it around then rinse, rodi an than wipe. I was taught long ago you dose 1:1 always
you need to test calcium every so often this important alk every day calcium once a week. I only test mag when calcium drops.
an yes the tank can consume large amounts of alk an calcium in a day but with a tank with nothing in it idk really have to go the guru @Randy Holmes-Farley
Ok thank you @zuri , I will make sure to get a calcium test soon.

JayA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of doing:

-Pink Streaked Wrasse

I think this looks like a great stocking list, and I would add clowns last.

OP
OP
S

STEEZY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get that stand? =)

I found it on Facebook marketplace for $70 and it’s solid wood and a real marble top! I did spend a week or two lookIng for something that would work but was happy not to pay a ton for it! I did frost the glass to hide the equipment and changed the handles to match our other furniture.

Reefin' Alaska

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I found it on Facebook marketplace for $70 and it’s solid wood and a real marble top! I did spend a week or two lookIng for something that would work but was happy not to pay a ton for it! I did frost the glass to hide the equipment and changed the handles to match our other furniture.
It's really nice. I just use a stand out of 2x4's and have been looking. But nothing yet.

Great set up my guy. =)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back