OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you explain your process of flushing? Please :)
I make up new salt water (I always have at least 250 gallons made) to match the SG of the nems water they were shipped in.

I then put nems in there and let them sit for a few minutes. They will usually expel old water and then take in new.

Once they sit for a few minutes, I massage (gently squeeze them) to get them to expel more water.

After they expel all they are going to expel, the water gets drained, they sit there 5 minutes with no water and then I drain what they expelled when they balled up due to no water.

I do this 2-3 more times (all depends on what the water looks like after each "flush") Also, you have to give them time once you add new water to open up and take water back in.

On this set of nems, I had 4 release poop and 1 release 3 small shells and poop. While this is really not needed, it gets the nasties out of them and allows them to have water in them with no funk.

I do not recommend the "massage" part for most. You have to be very gentle with them and you may end up with a reaction from touching the nem. I can touch hellfire nems with no issues, have haddonis wrap my arm with no issues and even the NPS (true hunting and eating thing nems) do not cause a reaction. Also, for whatever reason, most nems will not stick to my hands.

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, due to storms, house is running on whole home genny right now. Shouldnt be, as the storm is not bad, but welcome to country living lol.

I will say, while I miss the fish barn. It is nice to not have to run out to it, pull the cover off the genny out there, get it started, make sure full of gas and then hitting the transfer switch for its feed.

Today I did not have to get wet !!!!!

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make up new salt water (I always have at least 250 gallons made) to match the SG of the nems water they were shipped in.

I then put nems in there and let them sit for a few minutes. They will usually expel old water and then take in new.

Once they sit for a few minutes, I massage (gently squeeze them) to get them to expel more water.

After they expel all they are going to expel, the water gets drained, they sit there 5 minutes with no water and then I drain what they expelled when they balled up due to no water.

I do this 2-3 more times (all depends on what the water looks like after each "flush") Also, you have to give them time once you add new water to open up and take water back in.

On this set of nems, I had 4 release poop and 1 release 3 small shells and poop. While this is really not needed, it gets the nasties out of them and allows them to have water in them with no funk.

I do not recommend the "massage" part for most. You have to be very gentle with them and you may end up with a reaction from touching the nem. I can touch hellfire nems with no issues, have haddonis wrap my arm with no issues and even the NPS (true hunting and eating thing nems) do not cause a reaction. Also, for whatever reason, most nems will not stick to my hands.
Thanks! So do everything else but the massage, got it! Judging by how my husband cowers and yells at me when I massage is shoulders, I am assuming a I would do it too hard anyways. :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Thanks for explaining all of this!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Random go get coffee, check on the tank, and take pics of it photo dump.

Everything is looking good after the shuffling of things around last night. Lights have only been on for about 50 minutes, so most everything is open, but not fully. Still annoyed that the steve-a-pora colony was broke in half lol. But at least it was half and not a ton of pieces. Nems and macro doing well in sump.

I also still see a few spaces I could put some small things. Will not doo that though and just let things grow out. Give it 3 months and the hammer garden will look like it did pre-trimming, steve-o-pora will be 2 massive colonies, and the zoas will fill it all in.

IMG_7987.JPG
IMG_7986.JPG
IMG_7985.JPG
IMG_7984.JPG
IMG_7982.JPG
IMG_7981.JPG
IMG_7980.JPG
IMG_7979.JPG
IMG_7978.JPG
IMG_7977.JPG
IMG_7976.JPG
IMG_7975.JPG
IMG_7974.JPG
IMG_7973.JPG
IMG_7972.JPG
IMG_7971.JPG
IMG_7970.JPG

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Existing tunicate feeding. Finally was able to catch it “open” and taking in water.
A753216D-9935-475C-90B8-805BDAF8C320.jpeg
On my Gulf Live Rock, I got several tunicates like this one in shades of pink/red/brown that seem to be surviving well so far. Most of them showed up weeks after I received the rock. I also got one of the large dark red sea squirts about 3" long that is surviving with macroalgae growing out of its side.

It's life forms like this that make me love real ocean rock!

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my Gulf Live Rock, I got several tunicates like this one in shades of pink/red/brown that seem to be surviving well so far. Most of them showed up weeks after I received the rock. I also got one of the large dark red sea squirts about 3" long that is surviving with macroalgae growing out of its side.

It's life forms like this that make me love real ocean rock!
I collected that guy from the root of a mangrove. The blue ones were collected when I harvested my "Dock Rocks".

Dock Rocks - Legal way to make your own live rock. Hang rocks off of a dock and in a crab pot. Let them site for 6-9 months for basic live rock. Let them site for 2 years for awesome rock. As long as the rocks do not touch the bottom and are only use for "weight" to keep a crab pot in place, it is all legal.

Trick is it has to be from a dock that you own and on the water lol. It also has to be tagged with your FWC ID.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I collected that guy from the root of a mangrove. The blue ones were collected when I harvested my "Dock Rocks".

Dock Rocks - Legal way to make your own live rock. Hang rocks off of a dock and in a crab pot. Let them site for 6-9 months for basic live rock. Let them site for 2 years for awesome rock. As long as the rocks do not touch the bottom and are only use for "weight" to keep a crab pot in place, it is all legal.

Trick is it has to be from a dock that you own and on the water lol. It also has to be tagged with your FWC ID.
So, do you have ways to hook someone up with an opportunity for crab-pot live rock? I've got extra dry rock that would probably culture even better in such a situation than in my live rock 90-gallon tank with the Gulf Live Rock.

I've got my own ability to culture with this designated tank, but nothing beats ocean-direct in my opinion now. I assume that there would still be the issue of shipping it live after culturing unless the R2R 242 Express is running through at the right time. (Just to be clear, I'm not asking for any favors right now, but I am always on the lookout for good resources when I have the need.)

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, do you have ways to hook someone up with an opportunity for crab-pot live rock? I've got extra dry rock that would probably culture even better in such a situation than in my live rock 90-gallon tank with the Gulf Live Rock.

I've got my own ability to culture with this designated tank, but nothing beats ocean-direct in my opinion now. I assume that there would still be the issue of shipping it live after culturing unless the R2R 242 Express is running through at the right time. (Just to be clear, I'm not asking for any favors right now, but I am always on the lookout for good resources when I have the need.)
Always ways to get things from one place to another.

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not legally.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Random go get coffee, check on the tank, and take pics of it photo dump.

Everything is looking good after the shuffling of things around last night. Lights have only been on for about 50 minutes, so most everything is open, but not fully. Still annoyed that the steve-a-pora colony was broke in half lol. But at least it was half and not a ton of pieces. Nems and macro doing well in sump.

I also still see a few spaces I could put some small things. Will not doo that though and just let things grow out. Give it 3 months and the hammer garden will look like it did pre-trimming, steve-o-pora will be 2 massive colonies, and the zoas will fill it all in.

IMG_7987.JPG
IMG_7986.JPG
IMG_7985.JPG
IMG_7984.JPG
IMG_7982.JPG
IMG_7981.JPG
IMG_7980.JPG
IMG_7979.JPG
IMG_7978.JPG
IMG_7977.JPG
IMG_7976.JPG
IMG_7975.JPG
IMG_7974.JPG
IMG_7973.JPG
IMG_7972.JPG
IMG_7971.JPG
IMG_7970.JPG
I’m a huge fan of the Steve-o-pora.
I got a frag of a few nubs from the frag swap Brendon hosted. This coral really takes off! Everyday it give me something new to look at. It’s getting me really into sticks!

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a frag of a few nubs from the frag swap Brendon hosted. This coral really takes off! Everyday it give me something new to look at. It’s getting me really into sticks!
It is a great peice!

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't it awesome!

Looking back at pics from when I got mine in tank, a week after the swap, It has easily put on an inch... Which is unheard of growth to me.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't it awesome!

Looking back at pics from when I got mine in tank, a week after the swap, It has easily put on an inch... Which is unheard of growth to me.
Yea full blown weed genetics. It’s really fun to watch.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not legally.
Ah, I thought you mentioned it was legal, but now I assume you meant it is legal for your own rock, not for others?
Never mind then, as I'm certainly not interested in bending or breaking the law, especially since I already have a live-rock culture tank from my first order and may order more live rock in the future.

Always ways to get things from one place to another.
Thanks for the confirmation, @F i s h y ! Hopefully some day before too long (it has been slow coming due to other life events/projects), my 125-125 system will be up and running and I'll visit a station on the R2R Express to buy my first corals.

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, I thought you mentioned it was legal, but now I assume you meant it is legal for your own rock, not for others?
Never mind then, as I'm certainly not interested in bending or breaking the law, especially since I already have a live-rock culture tank from my first order and may order more live rock in the future.

Thanks for the confirmation, @F i s h y ! Hopefully some day before too long (it has been slow coming due to other life events/projects), my 125-125 system will be up and running and I'll visit a station on the R2R Express to buy my first corals.
It is a weird loophole. I can put in my tanks, but cannot legally sell it. Even with my SPL and endorsements, Live-Rock requires a lease and license to sell.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a weird loophole. I can put in my tanks, but cannot legally sell it. Even with my SPL and endorsements, Live-Rock requires a lease and license to sell.
If you can’t sell it then use it to fill your goodie bags on your next party.

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who is playing with fire? I am. Yeah baby.

I did have a nice sit down talk with the hammer, torches and LTA. They have agreed to a truce, so as long as I keep feeding the tank as I do and I keep everything stable.

IMG_8005.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back