Stimulating Coral Growth

isufishtank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! I haven't had too much trouble keep coral alive. However, I also haven't experienced much growth and was wondering if anyone had any good advice to grow out LPS coral. For some 20g long tank, all parameters are good:
Calcium: 400ppm
Alk: 9-10dKH
Nitrates, Nitrites, Ammonia, Phosphates: undetectable
pH: 8.2-8.4
I feed fairly regularly with reef-roids and occasionally bigger pieces of meaty foods. I currently have a mixed reef and have growth on SPS but not on LPS, which seems odd. I currently have a Duncan (4 heads), an Acan (3 heads), a Hammer (2 heads), 2 candy canes (1 larger colony and a 2 head) and some kind of Favia. All look health, eat, and have good polyp extension but just don't seem to want to grow. The Alkalinity was very unstable for a period of time until recently -- it dropped as low as 4 until I discovered baking soda. The alk has been at a steady 9-10dKH for a week now. Lighting is probably the hardest thing for me to explain as I have never used a PAR meter so I don't have exact numbers. I can say that the LED lights I have will grow SPS in the top 3-6 inches of the tank. All my LPS is 12-6 inches down.

--note: LPS doesn't seem as "fluffy" as it could be. Each head of the candy cane colony I picked up is noticeably smaller and less puffy than they were in their previous tank. It is a relatively new addition so it could need time to adjust but it is something to note.

I am rather new to reefing so it has been nice to even keep coral alive, but I would like to start seeing some growth of all my LPS. All in all the coral appear to be happy and healthy, just not THRIVING. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! I haven't had too much trouble keep coral alive. However, I also haven't experienced much growth and was wondering if anyone had any good advice to grow out LPS coral. For some 20g long tank, all parameters are good:
Calcium: 400ppm
Alk: 9-10dKH
Nitrates, Nitrites, Ammonia, Phosphates: undetectable
pH: 8.2-8.4
I feed fairly regularly with reef-roids and occasionally bigger pieces of meaty foods. I currently have a mixed reef and have growth on SPS but not on LPS, which seems odd. I currently have a Duncan (4 heads), an Acan (3 heads), a Hammer (2 heads), 2 candy canes (1 larger colony and a 2 head) and some kind of Favia. All look health, eat, and have good polyp extension but just don't seem to want to grow. The Alkalinity was very unstable for a period of time until recently -- it dropped as low as 4 until I discovered baking soda. The alk has been at a steady 9-10dKH for a week now. Lighting is probably the hardest thing for me to explain as I have never used a PAR meter so I don't have exact numbers. I can say that the LED lights I have will grow SPS in the top 3-6 inches of the tank. All my LPS is 12-6 inches down.

--note: LPS doesn't seem as "fluffy" as it could be. Each head of the candy cane colony I picked up is noticeably smaller and less puffy than they were in their previous tank. It is a relatively new addition so it could need time to adjust but it is something to note.

I am rather new to reefing so it has been nice to even keep coral alive, but I would like to start seeing some growth of all my LPS. All in all the coral appear to be happy and healthy, just not THRIVING. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!
What’s your magnesium and what exactly are your lights. Corals also need detectable nitrates and phosphates. Are you using api test kits? They are inaccurate if so.

OP
OP
isufishtank

isufishtank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s your magnesium and what exactly are your lights. Corals also need detectable nitrates and phosphates. Are you using api test kits? They are inaccurate if so.

I am using API, and I've been planning on changing that for a long time as they are notoriously inaccurate. I have had my water tested at multiple LFS at different times to be sure my tests weren't too far off. As far as magnesium and other trace elements, I haven't tested for them. I just started adding some reef complete to add magnesium and strontium to the tank as I don't believe my salt (Reef Crystals) are adding enough. In fact I just added a fair bit to a water change tonight.

As far as lights go, I have one Current USA Orbit Marine LED (newest generation) which is really just to illuminate the whole tank and help with my softies. The bigger light, an older generation Orbit Marine Pro, has much higher claimed PAR (250-400) for the first 6 inches but a far narrower spread of 60 degrees. That light grows SPS well at the top of the tank so i'm ASSUMING it should be sufficient for LPS a little lower.
I actually asked a question regarding the light and did lots of research on it already, so you can find all of that here: LIGHT INFO

Thanks!

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I followed the Red Sea Accelerated growth Program for over 12 months which basically requires higher foundation element and nutrient levels to facilitate growth

Your alkalinity is already there (maybe go to around 12) so you could increase the calcium to around 465 and magnesium to around 1390 but you need nutrients in the water to ‘feed’ the corals. You don’t want sterile water. Magnesium is also vitally important to facilitate the water chemistry

You might find this useful
https://www.redseafish.com/blog/enhanced-coloration-or-accelerated-growth/

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using API, and I've been planning on changing that for a long time as they are notoriously inaccurate. I have had my water tested at multiple LFS at different times to be sure my tests weren't too far off. As far as magnesium and other trace elements, I haven't tested for them. I just started adding some reef complete to add magnesium and strontium to the tank as I don't believe my salt (Reef Crystals) are adding enough. In fact I just added a fair bit to a water change tonight.

As far as lights go, I have one Current USA Orbit Marine LED (newest generation) which is really just to illuminate the whole tank and help with my softies. The bigger light, an older generation Orbit Marine Pro, has much higher claimed PAR (250-400) for the first 6 inches but a far narrower spread of 60 degrees. That light grows SPS well at the top of the tank so i'm ASSUMING it should be sufficient for LPS a little lower.
I actually asked a question regarding the light and did lots of research on it already, so you can find all of that here: LIGHT INFO

Thanks!
How deep is your tank? I know a few people that have that light but they use like 8 of them at 100% and still have trouble getting coral to grow that’s not right on the top.
Grab a mag test kit, if that is low that would explain low to no growth.

OP
OP
isufishtank

isufishtank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I followed the Red Sea Accelerated growth Program for over 12 months which basically requires higher foundation element and nutrient levels to facilitate growth

Your alkalinity is already there (maybe go to around 12) so you could increase the calcium to around 465 and magnesium to around 1390 but you need nutrients in the water to ‘feed’ the corals. You don’t want sterile water. Magnesium is also vitally important to facilitate the water chemistry

You might find this useful
https://www.redseafish.com/blog/enhanced-coloration-or-accelerated-growth/

Should I try achieving this through carbon dosing or increasing how much I feed? What is the best approach for nutrients?

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I try achieving this through carbon dosing or increasing how much I feed? What is the best approach for nutrients?
Feed & maybe amino acids like reef energy a & b or fuel
Carbon dosing reduces nutrients.

OP
OP
isufishtank

isufishtank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed & maybe amino acids like reef energy a & b or fuel
Carbon dosing reduces nutrients.

Just ordered Reef Energy A & B! They have good reviews and were on sale on Amazon. Also just realized I forgot to mention that I have my own custom made HOB refugium that has been working potentially TOO well, so I'll be turning the light schedule on that WAY down. Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it!

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add more fish and feed them, then you’ll be like me and battling to keep them down!

And as already said carbon dosing reduces nutrients and you don’t want that yet.

The Reef Energy will also help your corals feed

OP
OP
isufishtank

isufishtank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add more fish and feed them, then you’ll be like me and battling to keep them down!

And as already said carbon dosing reduces nutrients and you don’t want that yet.

The Reef Energy will also help your corals feed

I am currently waiting to get a Springeri Damsel, fingers crossed one pops up here soon! Unfortunately I can't order livestock because I do not trust my school's postage handling lol. Hopefully the damsel helps because they are quite active and will love the extra food :)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back