Stingray tankmates

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are some tankmates for stingrays? Can hallers, blue dot, and fiddlers stingrays be kept together in a 600 gallon tank? Can any catshark species be kept with them?

Thomashtom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes i have kept bottom dwelling sharks with stingrays and you can do multiple stingrays in that tank. Just no angels, triggers or super aggressive fish.

Kelso

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agreed, also my blue spot would eat anything that would fit into it's mouth, mostly salt water black mollies due to their prolificness, later upgrading to gut loaded fiddler crabs. Also try researching removing the spine barb from the tail.... I did ours with a pair of needle-nose pliers and a quick dab of superglue, but that was many years ago. It was a bit twitchy and restless until the installation of a grounding probe to eliminate stray voltage. It ultimately outgrew the 120g sand bottom tank and was given to the local zoo, in San Antonio, TX for a better living environment. Amazing animals with a wonderful disposition (he/she) would beg for crabs near the surface if I was in the living room moving around, ultimately had to retrofit a better lid to prevent water splashes.

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agreed, also my blue spot would eat anything that would fit into it's mouth, mostly salt water black mollies due to their prolificness, later upgrading to gut loaded fiddler crabs. Also try researching removing the spine barb from the tail.... I did ours with a pair of needle-nose pliers and a quick dab of superglue, but that was many years ago. It was a bit twitchy and restless until the installation of a grounding probe to eliminate stray voltage. It ultimately outgrew the 120g sand bottom tank and was given to the local zoo, in San Antonio, TX for a better living environment. Amazing animals with a wonderful disposition (he/she) would beg for crabs near the surface if I was in the living room moving around, ultimately had to retrofit a better lid to prevent water splashes.
If I had one I would leave the barb in, personally. Even though I’ve been stung three times. Little cruel to just rip out their barbs don’t you think?

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes i have kept bottom dwelling sharks with stingrays and you can do multiple stingrays in that tank. Just no angels, triggers or super aggressive fish.
Thats all I had to know.

Jerry Green

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn't recommend any particular species but a general rule is that the tank mate must be a bigger fish than the stingray, otherwise the ray will just attack them or eat them.

Mfreddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I traded an emporer that outgrew my tank to my LFS. He was in a 700 with a blue spotted stingray. I went in one day and he was laying on the Ray. The owner said he did it all the time

alprazo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful with fast aggressive eaters like groupers. They will out compete for food. I currently have two eagles rays and have taught them to eat from my hand for this reason. They are smart and it is easy to do. I’ve had to separate them from most of my sharks because they were getting accidentally chomped in the feeding frenzy and unlike sharks, their skin is delicate and will tear from the bite of an epaulettes or bamboo shark. I keep them with the bullhead sharks with no problem. I have found lockdowns to be the perfect tankmates if you want fish.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back