OP
JaaxReef

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weirdest thing is how well some corals are doing and others are showing thin tissue or STN... check out this healthy frag!

IMG_4452.JPG

Chris Spaulding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was following along and I saw that you said you are running Klak in your ago and All-For-Reef Why Both ? I run just All-For Reef and I am loving it as it is a all in one. I does All Cal and Mag. This is why I ask . I also dose K+ . But the all for reef is stand alone and no need for additional Kalk from ATO

OP
OP
JaaxReef

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I originally started the system with Kalk only. It was great coupled with water changes. The uptake was so high that the Kalk didn’t keep up by itself so I added the AFR for quite a while.

Since these issues, the uptake has dropped substantially. I’m now just dosing small amounts of AFR to keep my Alk stable. No more Kalk for now... ha.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been going through something similar with the same salt.. have you tested alk on a fresh batch before water change?

What alk are you getting and where do you want to be at? I get between 6.5-7.5, which is great.

OP
OP
JaaxReef

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been going through something similar with the same salt.. have you tested alk on a fresh batch before water change?

I have. I actually have been evening it out to get 8.0 with a 1/4 cup of Red Sea Coral Pro. That way my alk stays super stable where it is at (7.8-8.0).

OP
OP
JaaxReef

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What alk are you getting and where do you want to be at? I get between 6.5-7.5, which is great.

Right now Alk is at 7.8 and it has been stable between 7.8-8.0 for about two weeks.

OP
OP
JaaxReef

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I was looking at pictures of my tank and my log of parameters and changes to the system. I think I overlooked something based on the timing of when things started to go downhill. I switched from supplementing full strength Kalk with Red Sea two part to supplementing full strength Kalk with Tropic Marin All for Reef in early April. Things started to take a turn later in mid-May. Do you think that change in supplementation could have that much of an impact? Maybe some corals were less sensitive to the change than others and that is why I’m seeing some of them struggle and others are fine?

OP
OP
JaaxReef

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never mind... looking at pictures a few things started receding a bit just a couple weeks prior to that... so it started earlier.

Variant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please keep us posted. I am facing something similar

OP
OP
JaaxReef

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please keep us posted. I am facing something similar

I feel like I’m being annoying with all of my updates but it always bugs be me posts like mine don’t follow through with more information on if the problem continued or what solved it.

So I plan on being obnoxious with my updates until either a complete tank crash or things are back on track! Ha.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All for reef and nopox are both forms of carbon dosing. All for reef is milder but you’re double carbon dosing. Get rid of the nopox.

OP
OP
JaaxReef

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All for reef and nopox are both forms of carbon dosing. All for reef is milder but you’re double carbon dosing. Get rid of the nopox.

I slowly lowered the Nopox dose down by 1/2ml every 4 days the last few weeks. Just went offline yesterday. So we’ll see if that helps in the coming weeks.

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't lose hope. Here are some of my corals after a baffling mishap in late December.

IMG_1801.JPG

IMG_1802.JPG

And here are those same corals today. Pictures were taken two minutes ago.

IMG_1958.JPG

IMG_1959.JPG

OP
OP
JaaxReef

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't lose hope. Here are some of my corals after a baffling mishap in late December.

IMG_1801.JPG

IMG_1802.JPG

And here are those same corals today. Pictures were taken two minutes ago.

IMG_1958.JPG

IMG_1959.JPG

Awesome! Thanks for the encouragement! I honestly was thinking about throwing in the towel and just sticking to easy LPS, but that would definitely make me sad since I’ve had good success with SPS in the past couple of years.

OP
OP
JaaxReef

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a shot from back in January... the Acros and the Rainbow Monti are now showing thin skin and STN today...
7134bcf6a7ea50a28bc0e83264239a9b.jpg

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was following along and I saw that you said you are running Klak in your ago and All-For-Reef Why Both ? I run just All-For Reef and I am loving it as it is a all in one. I does All Cal and Mag. This is why I ask . I also dose K+ . But the all for reef is stand alone and no need for additional Kalk from ATO

I also run AFR in my system. Somewhere on here or RC, there's a post for Randy Holmes-Farley stating that it can act as a carbon source. I had to drastically cut back on my zeovit dosing as my phos and nitrates were absolute zero.

Per previous suggestions, I'd eliminate your nopox dosing completely and do some waterchanges to get everything back.

Also, if you were only using kalk previously, you weren't replacing any trace elements for a while. I think some large water changes would be beneficial as well. AFR has trace elements in it, so it should help if you continue with that going forward.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 93 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back