Stock List Feedback

hannernanner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
New to the hobby, but I've done some research and I'm finally planning my first tank. I'm hoping to go 90 gal minimum, hopefully closer to 110/120, reef tank plus a sump with refugium and skimmer. Corals will be mostly soft ones (not jumping right into SPS or anything). I've gathered a potential stocking list and now I'd love some feedback, see if I'm being realistic!

(In no particular order):
- Clarkii clowns (pair)
- Banggaii cardinal fish (small group?)
- Blue-green chromis (small group?)
- (1) Small, reef safe wrasse (six line or similar)
- Pair of gobies with symbiotic shrimp
- (1) Yellow eye/Kole tang
- A few crabs, shrimp or other inverts

From what I've read, it seems that the chromis and the cardinal fish run the risk of occupying the same "niche", so I wonder about having small groups of both of them in a tank of this size.

Also, how "future proof" is this list? Would it leave room to add anything in the future? Any input would be so appreciated, thanks in advance!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good, personally I’d skip the green chromis. I’m seeing too many health issues with these. One theory is the longer supply chain due to COVID is making them weaker. There are some cool black and white chromis. Be sure to quarantine!
Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Replace chromis with a group of firefish goby ( these guys are jumpers so assure some type of cover on tank)

CCauthers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would agree with crossing out the chromis, I really like lyretail anthias as a semi-schooling active fish

OP
OP
hannernanner

hannernanner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The Banggai don't school - they'll pair off, and pairs can become murderous.

~B.
Interesting! I've seen small groups of them in the wild (which is what I wanted to replicate), but of course everything is different in a box! Do you mean the pair will be aggressive toward other cardinals, or to each other? Would I be safe with two?

Jimmyneptune

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These may not go together well. The wrasse may, most likely, will go after the shrimp.
If you go with a wrasse you may want to pick a different kind and make sure to add him last.
What is your goal with the wrasse? Some others that are just as striking are Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse or McCosker's Flasher Wrasse.

Jimmyneptune

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as the chromis.

daybreaksky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firefish may not work out in that size, it's 1 or mated pair if they get territorial. I've seen cardinals school in 300, a good number too like at least 5 but that tank is spacious.

OP
OP
hannernanner

hannernanner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
These may not go together well. The wrasse may, most likely, will go after the shrimp.
If you go with a wrasse you may want to pick a different kind and make sure to add him last.
What is your goal with the wrasse? Some others that are just as striking are Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse or McCosker's Flasher Wrasse.
I read that wrasse can be helpful by picking away at certain pests in the tank, more of a utilitarian addition to the list for me.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting! I've seen small groups of them in the wild (which is what I wanted to replicate), but of course everything is different in a box! Do you mean the pair will be aggressive toward other cardinals, or to each other? Would I be safe with two?

As juveniles, they'll hang out in groups - but as adults, they tend to separate out. That's fine in the ocean, where each couple can find a place to be - but in aquariums, it's difficult. They're not a fish that changes gender, to my knowledge, but there are ways to sex them. I think that if you Google "sexing banggai cardinals", you should find some images to help.

~B.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my list for my 108gal build.

Livestock Starter Fish:
- Picaso Clown with anemone (Have this in current tank)

Livestock Initial Purchase:
_ Pair of Bella Gobies (Sand Sifting to keep tank sand clean)
- White Tail Bristletooth Tang (Ctenochaetus flavicauda - to keep nuisance algae down)

Livestock +3 Months Purchase
- 2 x Orange Spotted Filefish (Expert only, but I've successfully kept these before)
- 5 x Firefish (mixed colors they look nice in groups)
- Bicolor Blenny (blennies have Glgreat personality)
- Royal Gramma (Love the bright colors)

Livestock +6 Months Purchase
- Blue Mandarin / Target Mandarin (My 2nd favorite fish and i should have a good pod supply by 6 months)
- One Spot Foxface (More algae eaters...)

Livestock +9 Months Purchase
- Hawaiin Cleaner Wrasse (favorite cleaner wrasse)
- Copper Banded Butterfly (always wanted one of these)
- Yellow Corris Wrasse (active yellow in the tank, gets along well with other fish)
- Mystery Wrasse (not sold on this one...)

Livestock +12 Months Purchase
- 3 x Blotched Anthony (May be aggressive...adding them last)
- Candy Basslet (Was supposed to be last, but ended up getting one from a local reefer was breaking down their tank)

Future/Other Considerations:
Powder Brown Tang
Clown Tang
Hippo Tang
Powder Blue Tang
Emperor Angle
Flame Angle
Coral Beauty

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back