Stock list - Step by step

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll definitely take that piece of goby-advice into consideration! :)

As for the angelfish- that’s an awful lot of angels ;) Do you have one of them in mind- or all of them?
My plan on the current 200g system is

Majestic
Blueface
Regal
False Personifer Male
Venustus
Flame

OP
OP
CasperOe

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Majestic
Blueface
Regal
False Personifer Male
Venustus
Flame
Sounds pretty awesone, will look forward to following that! :)

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds pretty awesone, will look forward to following that! :)
Also sorry if a lot of us American Donnies are answering you at night time where you are lol

OP
OP
CasperOe

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also sorry if a lot of us American Donnies are answering you at night time where you are lol
I work offshore and I’m off on leave just now! Sleep is overrated anyway, so you‘ll be fine! ;)

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Majestic
Blueface
Regal
False Personifer Male
Venustus
Flame
Are you going to try them out with corals? Or playing it safe? Really good selection, with my favorite being the False Personifer

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You will get mixed answers as many have their own preference. Answering a similar post earlier, add the least aggressive and territorial first and then the least tempermental next followed by territirial or those that will acheive larger size such as tangs last.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Should aggression be an issue, i have a very good LFS who will source all these fish for me. He is willing to take some of them back, replace etc. should we have any issues.

For the antbias’ , the plan is for 6 individuals to have a shoaling kind of feature fish in the tank :)
IMHO - the more anthias, the better - I raise discus as well - and if there is not a 'large' population - one will be the laggard - until it dies, then the next one becomes the laggard, etc. I'm sure others have had different experiences with anthias - but this has been my consistent experience. Like I said - we need that build thread:)

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO - the more anthias, the better - I raise discus as well - and if there is not a 'large' population - one will be the laggard - until it dies, then the next one becomes the laggard, etc. I'm sure others have had different experiences with anthias - but this has been my consistent experience. Like I said - we need that build thread:)
What would you say be the “best” number for Anthias? Of course I’m guessing this applies differently to many species of Anthias?

OP
OP
CasperOe

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might consider upping my anthias’ to x 10 ;)

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity, if you do have a large number of Anthias, would you recommend mix and matching? Say 8 lyretails, 6 Dispar, and 8Bimacs?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Out of curiosity, if you do have a large number of Anthias, would you recommend mix and matching? Say 8 lyretails, 6 Dispar, and 8Bimacs?
I would recommend a school of the same type - others I'm sure have other/different opinions. This is based only on my experience. Besides a school of the same type of fish looks cool - especially anthias which tend to swim at the top of the water column

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you going to try them out with corals? Or playing it safe? Really good selection, with my favorite being the False Personifer

SPS and some euphylias. Maybe some cloves

Staying away from know nippers like Emperor, French. I am taking a risk with the Flame though.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aye, should have included that vital piece of information ;)

It’s quite late in Scotland too mate- the time difference isn’t that big though :p Enjoy your evening;

Cheers!
Forgot you were in Scotland haha,
I’m glad I waited till morning to answer, I read filefish as tilefish.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reefers,

Below stock list has been agreed between my self- and the control tower at home; now it is just a matter of which order to add them to our new tank. Stock and suitability vs. tank size has been extensively discussed in a separate thread.

Any comments on which order to add all these beautiful fish to our new tank? :) I will off course make sure not to go too fast, currently i am planning two weeks between the batches..

EDIT: Tank is measuring 6x2x2’ and will be fish only

1st batch - Tank cycle complete (already have!)

- 2 x Common Clown Fish
- Assorted Clean-up Crew

2nd batch (already have!)
- 1 x Timor Wrasse
- 1 x Lawnmower Blenny

3rd batch (already have!)
- 1 x File Fish

- 4th batch (already have!)
1 x Mandarin Goby
1 x Copperband Butterfly

5th batch
- 1 x Royal Gramma

6th batch
- 1 x Orangeback Fairy Wrasse
- 1 x McCosker’s Flasher Wrasse
- 1 x Wrasse (Which ones TBC)

7th batch
- 1 x Coral Beauty
- 1 x Long Nose Hawk Fish

8th batch
- 1 x Diamond Goby
- 1 x Yellow Watchman Goby
- 1 x Chalk Goby

9th batch
- 6 x Carberryi Anthias

Last batch
- 1 x Yellow Tail Purple Tang
- 1 x White Tail Kole Tang
- 1 x Yellow Sailfin Tang

Cheers!!
The already added fish are a good move, add the RG towards the end, this reduces risk of aggression.
In the 6th batch i’d add another couple of flashers along with some from Macropharyngodon, Anampses and Cirrhilabrus. Before you ask “Wont Macropharyngodon/Anampses out compete the mandy for food?” no. Anampses and Macropharyngodon species can both be fed prepared foods, Mandarins rarely ever can. A Macropharyngodon (or Anampses) species will be easy to care for after you get them passed the issue of internal parasites.

Batch 7 looks good to me, I would add another Angel to the list though. That Angel would be either a Chaetodontoplus melanosoma or a Genicanthus semifasciatus/melanospilos (Or if you’re like me and love both of their colours, then you could add both of them). The long nose hawk could go in a little earlier - If you plan to keep the RG in batch 5 then stick the long nose hawk in with the RG.

Batch 8 I have an issue with.
I would consider adding the diamond goby earlier. They are great at turning over the sand and keeping the sand look fresh. You will no doubt have some form of outbreak as you add more fish. Keeping that sand look fresh will help with the control tower from waving you down.
The issue burns down to this comment of “Adding the Diamond Goby in earlier”. Well, first off you have 2 Valenciennea species, Valenciennea puellaris (The infamous Diamond Goby) and Valenciennea sexguttata (The not so well known Chalk Goby). I have an entire article dedicated to these guys against the Cryptocentrus, Stonogobiops and Amblyeleotris genera. The Cryptocentrus cinctus can go in earlier however the two Valenciennea species I can’t really say (I would need to know the sand bed depth and how old the sandbed is). This will also tell me whether your tank is sufficient to keep 1 let alone 2.

Batch 9, I would try to get as many anthias as the tank fits. This is due to most small (Single digit) groups often dwindling down to just 1 or 2. You can also try to keep a single digit group if you have things like damsels keeping them together (Needing the protection of a group). Think about it, in the wild shoaling fish shoal for one reason… defence. Without that threat of predation or death, these fish have no need to shoal and so become aggressive towards eachother for the territory.

Batch 10 is pretty simple. If you have a plan for when the sailfin outgrows the tank (because this WILL occur) then go for it. If you don’t have a plan for it then ditch the sailfin for a smaller tang or maybe a tang of a different genus such as Acanthurus. I would personally swap the Desjardini for an Acanthurus nigricans. Or one of their hybrids, these to me are just more showy with the grey/black background and the hints of gold colour round the fins and tail. The Hybrid Powder Blue is also a stunner, they have a steel blue body that looks even better in person. I’ve never really seen a difference between the Powder Brown hybrids and the powder brown but I’m sure they’re there (I’ve not really seen or cared for that hybrid in person so I can’t tell you much about them). The Achilles Hybrids are probably the nicest IMHO, they’re just expensive when they emerge. Their care is somewhat between an Achilles and a Goldrim. It’s slightly easier long term than the achilles but still needy.

OP
OP
CasperOe

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The already added fish are a good move, add the RG towards the end, this reduces risk of aggression.
In the 6th batch i’d add another couple of flashers along with some from Macropharyngodon, Anampses and Cirrhilabrus. Before you ask “Wont Macropharyngodon/Anampses out compete the mandy for food?” no. Anampses and Macropharyngodon species can both be fed prepared foods, Mandarins rarely ever can. A Macropharyngodon (or Anampses) species will be easy to care for after you get them passed the issue of internal parasites.

Batch 7 looks good to me, I would add another Angel to the list though. That Angel would be either a Chaetodontoplus melanosoma or a Genicanthus semifasciatus/melanospilos (Or if you’re like me and love both of their colours, then you could add both of them). The long nose hawk could go in a little earlier - If you plan to keep the RG in batch 5 then stick the long nose hawk in with the RG.

Batch 8 I have an issue with.

The issue burns down to this comment of “Adding the Diamond Goby in earlier”. Well, first off you have 2 Valenciennea species, Valenciennea puellaris (The infamous Diamond Goby) and Valenciennea sexguttata (The not so well known Chalk Goby). I have an entire article dedicated to these guys against the Cryptocentrus, Stonogobiops and Amblyeleotris genera. The Cryptocentrus cinctus can go in earlier however the two Valenciennea species I can’t really say (I would need to know the sand bed depth and how old the sandbed is). This will also tell me whether your tank is sufficient to keep 1 let alone 2.

Batch 9, I would try to get as many anthias as the tank fits. This is due to most small (Single digit) groups often dwindling down to just 1 or 2. You can also try to keep a single digit group if you have things like damsels keeping them together (Needing the protection of a group). Think about it, in the wild shoaling fish shoal for one reason… defence. Without that threat of predation or death, these fish have no need to shoal and so become aggressive towards eachother for the territory.

Batch 10 is pretty simple. If you have a plan for when the sailfin outgrows the tank (because this WILL occur) then go for it. If you don’t have a plan for it then ditch the sailfin for a smaller tang or maybe a tang of a different genus such as Acanthurus. I would personally swap the Desjardini for an Acanthurus nigricans. Or one of their hybrids, these to me are just more showy with the grey/black background and the hints of gold colour round the fins and tail. The Hybrid Powder Blue is also a stunner, they have a steel blue body that looks even better in person. I’ve never really seen a difference between the Powder Brown hybrids and the powder brown but I’m sure they’re there (I’ve not really seen or cared for that hybrid in person so I can’t tell you much about them). The Achilles Hybrids are probably the nicest IMHO, they’re just expensive when they emerge. Their care is somewhat between an Achilles and a Goldrim. It’s slightly easier long term than the achilles but still needy.
Thank you- now i see why it was better to wait a day or so before writing your reply to my post! ;) Extremely detailed and well informed you are; i appreciate you taking the time!

I take a lot of valid points from your comment and i will definelty look in to adding more anthias‘ to the tank as well as consider my choice of gobys!

For the sailfin tang, he will be rehomed whenever he outgrows the tank, or we will have upgradead yet again by then! An extension to the house will happen in a couple of years incorporating a fish tank and a half :p

Cheers! And happy Sunday!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 64 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back