Stocking captive bred/sustainably caught tank

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just finished cycling my 55g tank that will be a mixed reef setup.

Dimensions are 36x24x15.

My main focus of this setup is to stock it with only captive bred or if necessary sustainably harvested fish and corals.

For example I do want some bangaii cardinals but am only willing to keep captive bred species as their numbers are suffering in the wild and are on the endangered species list.

So besides fish like clowns that are easily found captive bred. Can anyone recommend some other species to keep??

And as it's hard to find info online I'm also open to suggestions of fish that have populations in the wild that are thriving and are sourced responsibly and are fully regulated. For example if I could find some type of documentation showing that firefish numbers are doing very well in the wild and are regulated and sustainably sourced then I'd be willing to keep them.

Here's a list of fish that I'm interested in getting more info on and are on my stocking list:

-2 clown fish (captive bred)
- bengaii cardinal (captive bred)
- yellow damsel (captive bred)
-mandarin dragonet (captive bred or sustainably sourced if possible)
- firefish (captive bred or sustainably harvested)
- wrasse (captive bred or sustainably harvested)
- type of tang (yellow or tomini) that are captive bred or sustainably harvested.
-angel fish such as flame angels or coral beauty that are captive bred or sustainably harvested.
- types of gobies that are captive bred or sustainably harvested.
- types of blennies that are captive bred or sustainability harvested.

This is just a list of some of the fish I'm interested in but I prefer to source captive bred, if not some type of documented source where I know that they are a regulated fish that has a thriving population.

Any advice helps. Thx
I think there is no such a thing as sustainably caught. I feel this is a marketing stunt from the aquarium trade.
it is not sustainable to take anything out of the wild and not putting it back.
there is no such a thing as sustainable fishing/ fish farming and catching

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks. I have been following his breeding threads. He sells them through one of the larger captive breeders if I remember correctly.
Sorry. Thomas is a friend of mine. When he started to raise Marine Betta again, I asked him to save a few for me, so I got these directly from him. I have sell corals and clowns online a long time ago and I can see why he does not want to go through the trouble of individually send them to various buyers.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there is no such a thing as sustainably caught. I feel this is a marketing stunt from the aquarium trade.
IMO, this is a inaccurate and radical views of things.
Definitely there are sustainable wild harvest of various things.

Every living things are self propagated and sustained. If the pressure on the population is not too drastic, the population can self sustained and replace it’s members.

The pressures on the population are different depends on the species but for the great majority of the species, it is really combination of things that cause problem. The change and shrinking in habitat rather than removal of the species from the wild that is the major cause the decline of the great majority of the species on Earth today.
It is naive and simplistic to the point of ignorance to think that wild harvest is the only problem and stop harvest from the wild will solve the stress on wild population of various living organism.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, this is a inaccurate and radical views of things.
Definitely there are sustainable wild harvest of various things.

Every living things are self propagated and sustained. If the pressure on the population is not too drastic, the population can self sustained and replace it’s members.

The pressures on the population are different depends on the species but for the great majority of the species, it is really combination of things that cause problem. The change and shrinking in habitat rather than removal of the species from the wild that is the major cause the decline of the great majority of the species on Earth today.
It is naive and simplistic to the point of ignorance to think that wild harvest is the only problem and stop harvest from the wild will solve the stress on wild population of various living organism.
My opinion might be radical but it do believe we have to do our own part of saving nature in this case the population of fish.
All harvest have its impact (may be little in some cases) on the rest of the environment it is coming from and idealistic to think that yours is ok but the other ones are not.
you have no way to check apart from the word of the person you are sourcing your fish from.
you will never know how many other spices died direct or indirect as a consequence of your order.
since you have no control over these things and you simply can not have accurate information tapping yourself on the back that you have a done the right thing is a lie to yourself to feel better.
have the wild caught fish you want and if the circumstances it gets to your aquarium doesn’t bother you but don’t tell people it is ok to have wild caught anything in your aquarium because it is simply not true.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion might be radical but it do believe we have to do our own part of saving nature in this case the population of fish.
All harvest have its impact (may be little in some cases) on the rest of the environment it is coming from and idealistic to think that yours is ok but the other ones are not.
you have no way to check apart from the word of the person you are sourcing your fish from.
you will never know how many other spices died direct or indirect as a consequence of your order.
since you have no control over these things and you simply can not have accurate information tapping yourself on the back that you have a done the right thing is a lie to yourself to feel better.
have the wild caught fish you want and if the circumstances it gets to your aquarium doesn’t bother you but don’t tell people it is ok to have wild caught anything in your aquarium because it is simply not true.
I always strive to be inform of various issue that I think are important, especially issue that involve my very dear hobby, which is ReefKeeping. However "...there is no such a thing as sustainably caught. I feel this is a marketing stunt from the aquarium trade. It is not sustainable to take anything out of the wild and not putting it back" is just plain wrong.
As I posted earlier in this tread and various other thread.
My captive bred Marine Betta from ThRoewer. Absolutely beautiful pair of Marine Betta.
marinebeta2021033101-jpg.2106496

OP
OP
T

TJ Merrells

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always strive to be inform of various issue that I think are important, especially issue that involve my very dear hobby, which is ReefKeeping. However "...there is no such a thing as sustainably caught. I feel this is a marketing stunt from the aquarium trade. It is not sustainable to take anything out of the wild and not putting it back" is just plain wrong.
My captive bred Marine Betta from ThRoewer. Absolutely beautiful pair of Marine Betta.
I'd love to have those.... Unfortunately not reef safe

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you, but I don't think attiland's argument extends to fish caught...from someone else's tank. :p

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you, but I don't think attiland's argument extends to fish caught...from someone else's tank. :p
I just want to show that I too, love tank raise and want to get tank raise when possible.

Brittanyjo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
? All fish and corals are not taken out of the ocean. We can breed them in captivity.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have just used my beloved expression; “captive bred”. I have no problem whatsoever with that.
Catch a fish to bread in aquarium and you are doing the right thing

OP
OP
T

TJ Merrells

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience is they are reef safe. Mine is pretty large and it does not bother my cleaner shrimp or neon gobies that I have ever seen.
Good to know... I don't mind not being able to keep it with shrimp and but I am wanting some gobies

cd459

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a consumer it's hard to see the bigger picture because you're at the end of a global supply chain. The fishermen who spend their lives harvesting fish for the industry know that if they destroy/pollute the natural habitats their livelihoods would be negatively impacted. Alternatively, if people stop buying their fish they will need to turn to more destructive sources of income. Sustainable means using a resource in a way that doesn't permanently jeopardize the future of that resource. I think you're confusing sustainable with eco friendly. And the truth is that this hobby is not eco friendly.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a consumer it's hard to see the bigger picture because you're at the end of a global supply chain. The fishermen who spend their lives harvesting fish for the industry know that if they destroy/pollute the natural habitats their livelihoods would be negatively impacted. Alternatively, if people stop buying their fish they will need to turn to more destructive sources of income. Sustainable means using a resource in a way that doesn't permanently jeopardize the future of that resource. I think you're confusing sustainable with eco friendly. And the truth is that this hobby is not eco friendly.
If that was true fishermen would not use explosives or cynide to catch fish. Sadly both are still going on in some areas. Very unsustainable!

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No confusion here. Taking out thousands of fish from the sea will never be sustainable.
the only way is taking some and breeding them is the only way to go.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why I avoid certain species if they come from Southeast Asia. If I ever had to get something like a Regal or Emperor, I’d only go for Red Sea, Maldives, Fiji and Australia.

What have your experiences been with cyanide? Which species in your experience are prone to being caught with it?

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%

Back