Stocking idea for 20 gallon tank

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi i will have a 20 gallon aquarium with fish and corals and maybe some other invertebrates. Im looking for any stocking combinations that would be ok in the tank. I dont want any aggresive fish or fish that can in some way harm my tankmates. thanks!

Drew1600

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clown Pair is a classic.
Royal Gramma.
Damsels are small but lean towards semi-agression, though my Blue Devil Damsel leaves the other fish in my 29 DT alone.
Look into Goby species, many options for a nano tank there.
As far as inverts, coral banded shrimp are my favorite. I enjoy emerald crabs as well.
For coral, start with a good selection of softies like toadstools, fingers, kenya trees, even some green star polyps and zoanthids!
Happy reefing :)

OP
OP
Ro Bow

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clown Pair is a classic.
Royal Gramma.
Damsels are small but lean towards semi-agression, though my Blue Devil Damsel leaves the other fish in my 29 DT alone.
Look into Goby species, many options for a nano tank there.
As far as inverts, coral banded shrimp are my favorite. I enjoy emerald crabs as well.
For coral, start with a good selection of softies like toadstools, fingers, kenya trees, even some green star polyps and zoanthids!
Happy reefing :)
can i add all of those?

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd go for species with lots of personality since you can't have that many in a tank. And really, that means gobies and blennies, of which there are many wonderful species. I'd avoid clowns unless you really, really want them, as they tend to be -- and there's no other way to put this -- either dumb or vicious. My skunk clowns are nice, but they just bob and and down over their rock, day in and day out.

-I agree with the pistol/goby pairing. That's always fun.

-Get a tuxedo urchin -- they're great cleaners, and very interesting.

-Get some macro -- not many people, even today, collect any algae, and it can be used for nutrient export while still being decorative.

UkiahTheTurtle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can i add all of those?
I would not add all of them but the clown pair would go well with a royal gramma and a goby you can have more fish but I would not recommend a Damsel they are super aggressive but sometimes they work in larger tanks personally I would add a couple smaller fish like Blennys, firefish and other small gobies

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about a firefish also for a invert idea a skunk cleaner shrimp
I have a purple firefish in my Evo. It's one of the most stunning fish I've ever seen. I'd definitely put one in if I already didn't have it. It shares my tank with an orchid dottyback, a peppermint shrimp, a growing population of snails, and a diamond goby (for now).

UkiahTheTurtle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a purple firefish in my Evo. It's one of the most stunning fish I've ever seen. I'd definitely put one in if I already didn't have it. It shares my tank with an orchid dottyback, a peppermint shrimp, a growing population of snails, and a diamond goby (for now).
i Have a purple firefish too and he is always in the center of the tank

Patrick M Bodega Aquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi i will have a 20 gallon aquarium with fish and corals and maybe some other invertebrates. Im looking for any stocking combinations that would be ok in the tank. I dont want any aggresive fish or fish that can in some way harm my tankmates. thanks!

I had the same question. Would 2 ocellaris clownfish, 1-2 firefish, and either a orchid dottyback or royal gramma be overstocking? Thanks!

Patrick M Bodega Aquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how about 1 royal gramma, 2 ocellaris clownfish, cleaner shrimp, and one firefish? Or would any tankmates for the firefish be in danger?

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
don't do a orchid dotty back they are super aggressive and firefish ave been known to kill each other
This hasn't been my experience. Captive-bred orchid (not purple) dottybacks are peaceful members of my tanks and leave other tankmates alone, although the two dottybacks which are together sometimes to get into fishy drama with each other. I have a purple firefish and orchid dottyback in my Evo, and the firefish keeps the dottyback in line, but hasn't attacked it.

UkiahTheTurtle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This hasn't been my experience. Captive-bred orchid (not purple) dottybacks are peaceful members of my tanks and leave other tankmates alone, although the two dottybacks which are together sometimes to get into fishy drama with each other. I have a purple firefish and orchid dottyback in my Evo, and the firefish keeps the dottyback in line, but hasn't attacked it.
I meant firefish kill each other sometimes not firefish kill orchid dottybacks and I accidentally mistook the orchid dottyback for the purple

iMi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A pistol shrimp/goby pair is always an interesting add. When will you be setting it up?

Pistol shrimp has been very hard to find around where I live for the past six months. This is what I've been told by several local stores. They don't seem to know why either. I've been wanting one for my watchman.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 16 20.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back