Stocking list for 150

Sprin001

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reefers,
I'm going to be stocking a 150 soon. I have 3 small children (7,6,2) and am hoping to get some things that they can be excited/interested in watching. I have had small tanks for many years but never something bigger than 30 G. I know I'd like clownfish but I'm interested in other fish that people have been surprised at how much they've enjoyed or have liked sharing with young families. I do hope to get a tang gang for algae maintenance so that would be the other thing to keep in mind. If I can get a list together - I can go to my LFS and see if they're able to order and QT and I can add to mine over time. I look forward to seeing what you all come up with. -JS

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My grand kids really like my melanaurus wrasse. Very active and come to the glass whenever anyone approaches (also great for pest management). You might consider one of the more outgoing blennies, like a bi-color or midas. Always visible and again, very attentive. Will this be a reef, or fish only? You have a lot of options with a tank that size.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the dimensions of your tank? If it’s a 6-foot you can have a couple of larger fish. You have a choice with tanks 125 gallons and up: Do I want fewer but larger fish, or do I want mostly smaller fish (6” and under) and a couple of larger fish?

What I can say right off the bat: Get a pair of Ocellaris / Percula Clowns (the best Clowns for a community tank), and for an algae eating Tang get a Yellow / Purple, or one from the Ctenochaetus (Bristletooth) family: Yellow Eye Kole, Spotted (Blue Eye) Bristletooth, Tomini, Square Tail (Indian Ocean) Bristletooth or White Tail. If you want a smaller Acanthurus look into a Mimic Lemon Peel Tang (8”) or Mimic Eibli Tang (10”).

A Foxface of some kind or a Rabbitfish would also make a great algae eater while being more disease resistant than Tangs due to having a thick slime coat.

All gobies, all blennies, All dwarf angels, a group of Anthias, basslets, Assessors, Marine Bettas, Blue Throat Triggers (If your tank is a 6’), Genicanthus angels, Pyramid / Zoster Butterflies, Chrysiptera damsels (Azure, Talbot’s, Springer’s, Rolland’s, Starcki’s) etc. are all options.

CookieRdReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 little ones at my house 6, 4, 2, newborn. The family favorite in my 75g reef is definitely the longnose hawkfish. The way he swims around and perches is fun and different. Kind of a silly fish. Also the boys say he looks like a pterodactyl lol.

OP
OP
Sprin001

Sprin001

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great recommendations. I appreciate it and hadn't though much about the fox fish. Its the innovative marine 150 INT so it's 4ft by 3ft.

OP
OP
Sprin001

Sprin001

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any medications I should keep on hand as I buy them in and quarantine?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back