Stocking list for 50G

VladimirE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I currently finishing building my 50 gallons AIO tank, which will be my second saltwater tank after successfully keeping 10G nano cube for 8 months.
Could you please take a look and comment on my fish stocking list?
Display part size is 35 x 14 inches, it will be a mixed reef and I plan to add Maxima clam at some point, so fish should be compatible.
Here's what I have in mind:

Ocellaris Snowflake clown pair — not really sure about these ones. I like the black-white-orange colors, but I'm not planning to keep an anemone, so I kind of afraid they would just hang around in a corner of the tank like clowns do. Maybe swap these to a couple of Yellow Tail damsels?

Yellow Nose goby + Randall's Pistol shrimp — I absolutely want a goby/shrimp pair, and I really like the colors of Yellow Watchman, but I already have one in 10G tank, so Yellow Nose is second best for me.

Tailspot (preferably) or Midas blenny — love how they stick their head out of the holes in live rock.

Longnose Hawkfish — love how it looks and how it perches on a rock.

Red-eye wrasse — I'd like a blue color fish to mix with yellow and red ones.

Ruby Red dragonet — determined to keep this one and ready to supply pods and/or train to eat frozen or massstick.

Yellow tang — this is one I most concerned about. I know that the tank is on a smaller side for this one, but I like how it looks and how it keeps the algae in check.

Thank you in advance for your input!

A sea K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good with the exception of the YT. If you have a decent LFS nearby you could always source a smaller tang and return and repeat as he gets bigger. This method is not for everyone though and can be quite risky if your not skilled with QT. Another yellow option would be a yellow coris wrasse (Halichoeres chrysus ) instead of the tang.

OP
OP
VladimirE

VladimirE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good with the exception of the YT. If you have a decent LFS nearby you could always source a smaller tang and return and repeat as he gets bigger. This method is not for everyone though and can be quite risky if your not skilled with QT. Another yellow option would be a yellow coris wrasse (Halichoeres chrysus ) instead of the tang.
Thanks! Do you think Kole's Tang or Scopas Tang can fit into 50G?

A sea K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Kole might actually be better suited. That said in all honesty a 50 is a bit small for any tang and as I said previously if its not an issue for you just be prepared to return it the lfs and start over with another small one. I will be doing this fairly soon with a rapidly growing foxface in my 80 gal.

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 50g is going to be way too small for that wrasse as well (Cirrhilabrus solorensis, correct?).

It needs much more swimming room. And the lack of swimming room will either stress it out to the point that it hurts itself ... or cause it to become very high-strung and potentially aggressive.

I realize you were looking for blue ... but for a wrasse in a 50g, you'd be much better off looking at one of the pygmy wrasses or a pink-streaked wrasse.

Or, another option for a splash of blue would be a forktail blenny (Meiacanthus atrodorsalis). Great fish, always active throughtout the water column, will get along with a tailspot or midas blenny, and peaceful toward pretty much anything except other fang blennies.

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back