stocking my first sw tank

cwetherford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am planning on stocking little by little my new 55g tank and i need help deciding what to stock in it.i know its not technically large enough for a tang or anything like that but i want one centerpiece fish for the tank and im going to do smaller fish too i like firefish and maybe areef safe wrasse and some clowns anything.i want you all to give me some ideas on what to stock and what would be a good active and colorful centerpiece fish also i need you to keep in mind im not using a sump right now i have a fluval c4 hob filter rated for 70g plus 80 lbs of live rock. so please give me ideas on what to do

strange33w

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well depending on what coral you plan on having a Flame Angelfish is nice colorful and pretty active. Another nice little fish is a Six Line Wrasse not a "show piece" but can be a nice addition. Flasher wrasses are also nice looking. Dottyback are another good fish for your size tank. I haver always liked banghi cardinals as well. Lots of good fish out there for a small tank

el richie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 line will be a bully just like damsels. Flashers, fairies or leopard wrasses are nice. Pigmy angels are cool but will nip at some corals

negative44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would skip the leopard wrasse. They are very hard to keep and are not good begginer fish. How about a pair of purple fire fish, starry blenny, royal gramma or a really cool goby and pistol shrimp combo.

2Sunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Top 5.

Really depends on what you like and what type of reef you have or are planning on building.

I second the motion of the folks above. . . my top three for flashy small tank fish . . . probably other folks can find a reason not to get any of these choices, but then I've seen them all do fine in a smaller tank, and even do fine with hard corals in the tank. Just make sure the Angel and Butterfly are eating frozen food before introducing corals (assuming you don't already have corals in the tank). If you do have corals already, I still wouldn't be afraid of giving them a try. I'd just see how it goes and if they don't work take 'em back.

Got any pictures of your tank?

Joe

Flame Angel
flame_angel_fish2213.jpg

Flasher Wrasse
flasher_wrasse_tb.jpg

Auriga Butterfly
pwalshauriga_400.JPG

OP
OP
C

cwetherford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so do you guys think a yellow tang is completely out of the question even if only for a few years? i would really love one and i am very adament on my water changed and keeping quality up

el richie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a purple yellow and blue in a 55 when I started, but later upgraded to a 125 so in the mean time no I see nothing wrong with that as long as its a small one and you sell or upgrade when he gets too big!

strange33w

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you are going to add a yellow get a tiny or small one. I had a 55 gallon with a yellow tank but he was tiny like an inch and a half at most but did good. I upgraded long before he got to big so If your plan is to upgrade in about a year then you should be ok.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!

Back