Stocking suggestions!

Leo_ian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys i would like some fish suggestions for my tank. it's about a year old 3ft x 2ft x 2ft with 3 fish right now. A corazon damsel (he likes to bully my cleaner shrimp which is weird), algae blenny and royal gramma. i'd like something that's peaceful, but could hold their own if my damsel decides to murder him. maybe a fish that'll live in a pair or harem?
i'm definitely gonna add a jawfish eventually too
maybe something that'll eat bubble algae too.
(no carib fish bcs freight cost is crazy)
invert list: 2 tiger cone snails, unknown number of turbos, 2 nassaurius, 2 kukenthali shrimp, 1 cleaner shrimp
coral list: green pavona, purple gorg, GSP, leather toadstool, red monti cap, discosoma, gold hammer. + macro algae

OP
OP
L

Leo_ian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anthias and chromis are hearty fish. Flame hawkfish, dottyback, royal gramma...
already have a gramma :) i would love a school of them but freight cost makes them super expensive now...
i'm thinking of trying anthias but the feeding sound like a nightmare
i'm trying to avoid chromis because IME they die easily, and the last one is always super aggressive (maybe i'll try the caribbean ones but then again, they're expensive now)
flame hawks are also somehow super expensive here...
i'd like a dottyback but i'm pretty attached to my gramma too and i don't want any of them to fight...

hm i read somewhere that fang blennies are a good alternative to anthias esp the lyretail species bcs they live in the wild similarly. and i've observed that too so maybe i'll do that?

OP
OP
L

Leo_ian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bump.

i'm looking into anthias, maybe i really like the square spots but they get too big for my liking.

i'm debating between a coral beauty pair/trio or fang blenny trio

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm looking into anthias, maybe i really like the square spots but they get too big for my liking.
i'm debating between a coral beauty pair/trio or fang blenny trio
Anthias - like chromis - are high energy fish. Meaning all they do is swim, swim and swim some more. I have 12 chromis in my tank right now and haven't lost a single one. Why? You need to feed them well and often (same for anthias). I added four lyretail chromis not that long ago and they've been an absolutely joy and breath of fresh air. They're constantly exploring and sleep in barnacles at night. Quite a bit different personality than the typical green chromis you find.

OP
OP
L

Leo_ian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anthias - like chromis - are high energy fish. Meaning all they do is swim, swim and swim some more. I have 12 chromis in my tank right now and haven't lost a single one. Why? You need to feed them well and often (same for anthias). I added four lyretail chromis not that long ago and they've been an absolutely joy and breath of fresh air. They're constantly exploring and sleep in barnacles at night. Quite a bit different personality than the typical green chromis you find.
hm okay, will consider them once i get an auto feeder

OP
OP
L

Leo_ian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kole tang or tomini tang
i actually don't really have a problem with hair algae or diatoms (or similar stuff) because of my algae blenny and urchin. but the only algae he and my urchin doesn't touch is bubble algae. i don't really want a bristletooth tang to compete with my other two grazers.
thanks for the suggestion tho, before my algae blenny i was considering a bristletooth

Rijodan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
coral beauty is an awesome fish just weary on reef caution, you could do a purple firefish, more damsels they chill with multiples

OP
OP
L

Leo_ian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
coral beauty is an awesome fish just weary on reef caution, you could do a purple firefish, more damsels they chill with multiples
from what i've heard, coral beauties are prob the most reef safe so maybe i'll try? would a geniacanthus do well? the other reply said they wouldn't do more than one coral beauty in the tank tho
i'm not really interested in firefishes, from what i've heard they don't have much personality.
i would do more damsels but my corazon killed his counterpart, so i prob wouldn't get more corazon

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
from what i've heard, coral beauties are prob the most reef safe so maybe i'll try? would a geniacanthus do well? the other reply said they wouldn't do more than one coral beauty in the tank tho
i'm not really interested in firefishes, from what i've heard they don't have much personality.
i would do more damsels but my corazon killed his counterpart, so i prob wouldn't get more corazon
I have a domino clown and a frostbite, they are pretty cool. Lots of clowns to choose from! And I disagree whole heartedly with firefish not having a personality. Mine most certainly does now that he is comfortable! Loves to swim around with my tang and foxface! And yes my coral beauty was fine with corals when ai still had her, just would keep it to one dwarf angel in that size thank!

Attachments

• 40F45FBA-22D4-4D56-BB02-F27A7459AF38.jpeg
    40F45FBA-22D4-4D56-BB02-F27A7459AF38.jpeg
    178.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 3DBF2AFD-C6BA-4D3E-9F86-AC6F84FEE7C1.jpeg
    3DBF2AFD-C6BA-4D3E-9F86-AC6F84FEE7C1.jpeg
    175.1 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
L

Leo_ian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a domino clown and a frostbite, they are pretty cool. Lots of clowns to choose from! And I disagree whole heartedly with firefish not having a personality. Mine most certainly does now that he is comfortable! Loves to swim around with my tang and foxface! And yes my coral beauty was fine with corals when ai still had her, just would keep it to one dwarf angel in that size thank!
i'm not really into the morphs, i like the wild species more.
maybe i'll consider firefish... my LFS has a few lavandulas in right now.
any reason why you wouldn't do more than 1 dwarf angel in my tank? aggression or swimming space? i actually would love a spawning pair just to watch the behaviour but maybe i'll just pick another pelagic spawner instead

OP
OP
L

Leo_ian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
some stuff i'm considering now:
moray? (feeding would be difficult tho)
marine betta? (would they be too shy?)
flasher wrasses? (some people say keep males of different species so you can see them flash but now kill each other, i'll def steer clear of similar species though)

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm not really into the morphs, i like the wild species more.
maybe i'll consider firefish... my LFS has a few lavandulas in right now.
any reason why you wouldn't do more than 1 dwarf angel in my tank? aggression or swimming space? i actually would love a spawning pair just to watch the behaviour but maybe i'll just pick another pelagic spawner instead
Swimming space and behavior, you might get lucky with two angels but there also needs to be a mature tank as well. They need to pick stuff off the rocks like algae, if theres not enough for both they might fight. Also its hard to tell genders, from my understanding they are like clowns in that respect then the male becomes bigger. Anyone feel free to correct me if lm wrong! My coral beauty way very happy by herself. She liked to swim with my baby mimic tang but she also got territorial with him too.

OP
OP
L

Leo_ian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swimming space and behavior, you might get lucky with two angels but there also needs to be a mature tank as well. They need to pick stuff off the rocks like algae, if theres not enough for both they might fight. Also its hard to tell genders, from my understanding they are like clowns in that respect then the male becomes bigger. Anyone feel free to correct me if lm wrong! My coral beauty way very happy by herself. She liked to swim with my baby mimic tang but she also got territorial with him too.
hm, i've read that people spawn them in 40 gal barrels so maybe it'll work? pairing from what i've read is picking the smallest fish and the largest in store. they're hemaphrodites too so maybe? hm i'll pick another pelagic spawner then. any recommendations?

Rijodan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
some stuff i'm considering now:
moray? (feeding would be difficult tho)
marine betta? (would they be too shy?)
flasher wrasses? (some people say keep males of different species so you can see them flash but now kill each other, i'll def steer clear of similar species though)
way too small a tank for all but the flashers
same for having multiple tangs have plenty of ways for them to hide and dash around eachother and it should be fine for 2 or 3 flashers if you wanted, even one is real cool

OP
OP
L

Leo_ian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
way too small a tank for all but the flashers
same for having multiple tangs have plenty of ways for them to hide and dash around eachother and it should be fine for 2 or 3 flashers if you wanted, even one is real cool
hm, i'd understand my tank is too small for a moray, but the marine betta? i think there was a user here that breeds them in 40 gallon tanks. i'd do the flashers tho.
what would you recommend for a show fish in my tank?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back