OP
OP
Alenya

Alenya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:) They; along with the Flame Hawk (Scarlet Hawk) have tons of personality and are among the most peaceful of all Hawkfish, but they can still pose a threat to shrimp. They’re both rock dwellers like the Starry Blenny but occupy different niches so they should be fine. In a RSR 250 I’d only do 1 Hawkfish though. Neither the Longnose nor the Flame should bother your wrasses.

I love the Marine Betta! It’s one of the hardiest and most “bulletproof” fish out there, and it’s an absolute beauty. They get to 8” but aren’t too active. Some may require live foods to initiate feeding so it’s best to pick up one that’s eating prepared foods at the LFS, or even better a captive bred one from ORA. I’ve long considered one for my setup but I thought what if I get a specimen that needs live foods for a feeding response I’d be screwed. A great pity. :(

Thank you for the reply!

From doing some reading I think I would love to see a Marine Betta in here. It’s a beautiful fish and I have a fair bit of shelving, and could make things a bit more ‘cavey ‘ if needed. As I have a puffer going into this tank shrimp are off the table anyhow.

There have been a few reports that they would only eat live shrimp in QT but were pigs in the DT; to be honest if it only wanted live I think that would be fine. I have a nano that could hold a good quantity for ready access and no doubt the betta, hawkfish and puffer would appreciate it.

Duly noted re one hawkfish, it would need to be the Longnose since it’s the partner’s choice!

So it looks like a final list:

2 x Percula clownfish
1 x YWG
1 x Valentini puffer
1 x yellow coris wrasse
1 x pintail wrasse
2 x bangai cardinalfish
1 x starry blenny
1 x Longnose hawkfish
1 x marine betta

The tank itself is a LPS/softy with softer flow, I have a large skimmer and a caribsea on this tank so given time to mature and a responsible stocking rate it should hold up long term.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
x2 Percula Clowns

x1 Yellow Watchman Goby (would be better if you could pair it with a Pistol Shrimp!) (It needs some sand, I’d say give it 2-3”)

x1 Saddled Valentini Puffer (one more thing, you need to feed it foods that come with a hard shell because it constantly molts its teeth, if not the teeth will eventually grow too long for it to take food normally and it will starve)

x1 Yellow Coris Wrasse (great for eating worms and other pests, make sure it’s got a sand bed of at least 2 inches as they’re a sand burying kind of wrasse)

x1 Pin Tail Fairy Wrasse (they’re open water swimmers unlike the Yellow Coris, Melanurus, Leopard Wrasses etc.)

x2 Bangaii or Pajama Cardinals (best to make sure the Bangaiis are a mated pair, Pajama should do fine if introduced at the same time as they’re a bit less aggressive than the Bangaiis)

x1 Starry Blenny (nice! Preferably give it some good greens in its diet such as Formula-2 flakes and pellets, Spirulina flakes, Hikari Mega Marine Algae, Hikari Algae Wafers, Seaweed Extreme, Sea Veggies, Spirulina Enriched Brine Shrimp, LRS Herbivore Frenzy or whatever else you can find. Many have remarked that these guys take different foods a lot more readily than their drab cousin the Lawnmower Blenny.)

x1 Longnose / Flame Hawkfish (they’re carnivore so feed them a good selection of meaty foods- Frozen, Flakes, Pellets etc.)

x1 Marine Betta (make sure it’s got a nice cave to call home, don’t be surprised if you don’t see it much in the beginning)

This should be a good start!

As for the Geometric Pygmy Perchlet, I am not sure but I’d be wary of bullying from your husband’s choice: the Longnose Hawk or a Flame Hawk.

Hawkfish comes after the YWG. Make sure you have rockwork to separate them just in case.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Alenya

Alenya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
x2 Percula Clowns

x1 Yellow Watchman Goby (would be better if you could pair it with a Pistol Shrimp!) (It needs some sand, I’d say give it 2-3”)

x1 Saddled Valentini Puffer (one more thing, you need to feed it foods that come with a hard shell because it constantly molts its teeth, if not the teeth will eventually grow too long for it to take food normally and it will starve)

x1 Yellow Coris Wrasse (great for eating worms and other pests, make sure it’s got a sand bed of at least 2 inches as they’re a sand burying kind of wrasse)

x1 Pin Tail Fairy Wrasse (they’re open water swimmers unlike the Yellow Coris, Melanurus, Leopard Wrasses etc.)

x2 Bangaii or Pajama Cardinals (best to make sure the Bangaiis are a mated pair, Pajama should do fine if introduced at the same time as they’re a bit less aggressive than the Bangaiis)

x1 Starry Blenny

x1 Longnose / Flame Hawkfish

x1 Marine Betta (make sure it’s got a nice cave to call home, don’t be surprised if you don’t see it much in the beginning)

This should be a good start!

As for the Geometric Pygmy Perchlet, I am not sure but I’d be wary of bullying from your husband’s choice: the Longnose Hawk or a Flame Hawk.

Hawkfish comes after the YWG. Make sure you have rockwork to separate them just in case.

Any other fish will be off the list so this means no additional wrasse, perchlet, or flame hawk.

The puffer will get a steady supplement of little snails to crunch for his little teeth <3

Unfortunately I can’t get another pistol shrimp at the moment as there is a quarantine restriction in the country but I will definitely add one once I can - it’s been a year now and likely another couple years before another crops up.

I will add another inch of sand, will two inches be enough for the wrasse? Or can I build it up in an area for it?

As far as a sequence, as it’s a new tank:

Bangais
Goby
Clowns
Puffer

(All of these will be fine with tank feeding)

Then I think the Betta and the wrasse

Lastly the blenny and hawkfish; the blenny as there should be something to pick at by then, and the hawkfish to avoid territorial meanness.

I don’t have anything really for the sand to maintain it so will have to think about it, 2 inches is a lot to just sit there.

Thanks again :)

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:) 2 inches should enough for both the wrasse and the goby. Which country are you in by the way? I hate how politicians can dictate even our hobby.

For a Pistol Shrimp once you can find one I’d suggest a Randall’s. If not then the Tiger, the Tiger gets to 3” while the Randall’s gets to 2”.

Your sequence sounds great. :) Though I’d probably move the Betta before the Clowns just in case the Clowns get territorial. I’d also put the Bangaiis in a bit later. :)

If you can provide for your Puffer that way you shouldn’t have any issues.

What I would do:

1. Goby (YWG- 4” + Pistol Shrimp later on)

2. Puffer (Valentini- 4.5”)

3. Wrasses (Yellow Coris- 5” + Pin Tail Fairy- 5”, both or separately would work)

4. Marine Betta (8”)

5. Bangaiis (3”)

6. Clowns (True Percula- 4.5”)

7. Blenny (Starry- 5.5”)

8. Hawkfish (Longnose- 5”)

#1-4 are really interchangeable as they’re all fairly peaceful fish. Just depends on what you want to get in there first!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Alenya

Alenya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:) 2 inches should enough for both the wrasse and the goby. Which country are you in by the way? I hate how politicians can dictate even our hobby.

For a Pistol Shrimp once you can find one I’d suggest a Randall’s. If not then the Tiger, the Tiger gets to 3” while the Randall’s gets to 2”.

Your sequence sounds great. :) Though I’d probably move the Betta before the Clowns just in case the Clowns get territorial. I’d also put the Bangaiis in a bit later. :)

If you can provide for your Puffer that way you shouldn’t have any issues.

What I would do:

1. Goby (YWG- 4” + Pistol Shrimp later on)

2. Puffer (Valentini- 4.5”)

3. Wrasses (Yellow Coris- 5” + Pin Tail Fairy- 5”, both or separately would work)

4. Marine Betta (8”)

5. Bangaiis (3”)

6. Clowns (True Percula- 4.5”)

7. Blenny (Starry- 5.5”)

8. Hawkfish (Longnose- 5”)

#1-4 are really interchangeable as they’re all fairly peaceful fish. Just depends on what you want to get in there first!

For once it’s not a political issue, I am in Australia and there is a white spot prawn disease active in the area where most pistol shrimp are caught. We can’t ship to our state as a result.

The percula are about an inch and a half right now, they can stay in the nano until ready :)

Thank you so much again for the help; I’ll be sure to share as they go into the tank!

OP
OP
Alenya

Alenya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like we are pretty low on fish variety in WA so after some checking I made a change and picked up a Laboutei and a Lineatus wrasse which are locals.

1647EB6B-E773-4AFE-951E-F9C741F81F74.jpeg
6ECAA970-AC63-426E-8599-7329DB20ED55.jpeg

Looks like there are no Marine Bettas available so it could be months before one turns up.

OP
OP
Alenya

Alenya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
giphy.gif

those are some really big and really active fish

if you were interested in other cirrhilabrus i would've linked you this..

Oooops

I thought all fairy wrasses were small
And what I read said they were peaceful?? On more than one site. Ugh

How big do they actually get and are they both going to be trouble? I have not had them shipped yet. The only other option is Naoko

Last edited:
OP
OP
Alenya

Alenya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay would a eightlinefin flasher wrasse work? Paracheilinus mccoskeri

They also have Paracheilinus flavianalis and Paracheilinus cyaneus

OP
OP
Alenya

Alenya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re darn lucky. As a Chinese reefer we don’t get many species of Fairy Wrasses and they come in smaller quantities. Enjoy yours!

Laboutei and Lineatus are far enough on the “tree” @evolved so they should get along.

How big are they?

Cheers! It seems a mixed bag of information between them being generally okay in the tank to being too big and active for the tank - very confusing :)

I bought them from one of our better shops on the other side of the country to ship across - so no idea what size they are right now but ultimately I only want to stock a tank that can hold mature happy fish...

How is China atm? I hope all is well for you there with the current pandemic!

Right now I have a Laboutei, a Lineatus paid for.
These guys get to 5" and apparently a 250L tank is too small for them.

I also have reserved a mccosker flasher wrasse
mccosker flasher_wrasse.jpg

a yellowfin flasher wrasse,
yelowfin flasher.jpg

and a yellow coris wrasse.
Yellow_Coris_Wrasse-1.jpg

These guys get to 3", the coris to 4-5".

So I need to make a decision!!! :D @mattzang

Last edited:

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:) You ordered from across the country eh? How long does the shipping take? I’m glad it’s gone well for you!

The Flashers get to 3”, Yellow Coris you can expect 5”, Laboutei and Lineatus both get to 5”.

Thanks for asking. :) Mostly under control but I’m actually in Taiwan at the moment unable to go back and after my tank, it’s killing me. The Communist government is extremely strict and draconian right now by keeping all foreign passport holders out of the country. I’m Chinese-Canadian.

OP
OP
Alenya

Alenya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:) You ordered from across the country eh? How long does the shipping take? I’m glad it’s gone well for you!

The Flashers get to 3”, Yellow Coris you can expect 5”, Laboutei and Lineatus both get to 5”.

Thanks for asking. :) Mostly under control but I’m actually in Taiwan at the moment unable to go back and after my tank, it’s killing me. The Communist government is extremely strict and draconian right now by keeping all foreign passport holders out of the country. I’m Chinese-Canadian.

Shipping here is airport to airport so it's relatively quick and pretty affordable.

I really don't know what to do about all these wrasses seems I am going from no wrasses to a tankful lol - in all seriousness though it's either the two barrier reef boys or the flashers, both plus the yellow coris.

That's no good about being stuck out of the country, what happened - were you in Taiwan and then they closed the borders? Surely you should be able to get back home, how awful

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oooops

I thought all fairy wrasses were small
And what I read said they were peaceful?? On more than one site. Ugh

How big do they actually get and are they both going to be trouble? I have not had them shipped yet. The only other option is Naoko

well definitely don't get a naoko

the problem is they both get to about 5" and when fairy and flasher wrasses get all flashy they swim around like crazy. one of the issues with wrasses is hitting stuff and breaking their spines which usually results in death.

i had a 50g cube before my new tank and waited until i got the bigger tank to get my fairy wrasse fix :p

if you wait a bit, pintails are pretty commonly available and those are beautiful fish that stay a bit smaller. lubbocks are pretty cool looking too. the magma wrasse stays smaller i believe as well if you're wanting to spend lineatus prices.

whatever you choose i'd run it by the wrasse man @evolved to see what he thinks

in the mean time he gave this talk a few years ago that's definitely worth a listen for the wrasse enthusiast

OP
OP
Alenya

Alenya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well definitely don't get a naoko

the problem is they both get to about 5" and when fairy and flasher wrasses get all flashy they swim around like crazy. one of the issues with wrasses is hitting stuff and breaking their spines which usually results in death.

i had a 50g cube before my new tank and waited until i got the bigger tank to get my fairy wrasse fix :p

if you wait a bit, pintails are pretty commonly available and those are beautiful fish that stay a bit smaller. lubbocks are pretty cool looking too. the magma wrasse stays smaller i believe as well if you're wanting to spend lineatus prices.

whatever you choose i'd run it by the wrasse man @evolved to see what he thinks

in the mean time he gave this talk a few years ago that's definitely worth a listen for the wrasse enthusiast

Thank you, having a listen now

Sounds like wrasse males are like other males we could mention :D

I think at this stage if any go in the tank it will be the flasher wrasses, the build is pretty open so they will have plenty of room to scoot around and beat their chests at other guys (hey,we know its not really about impressing the ladies :) )

OP
OP
Alenya

Alenya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update!
Due to a lot of issue with fish supply we're tending to only see mainly local fish here.

Currently at home:

2 x Percula clowns
1 x YWG
1 x Yellowtail flasher wrasse
1 x Carpenters flasher wrasse
1 x Exquisite wrasse
1 x Valentini puffer

On order:

1 x Leopard wrasse
1 x Marine betta
1 x Golden midas blenny

Hopefully longnose hawkfish may become available...!

Thank you for your help <3

OllieGreen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely recommenced that if you had to pick from your "extras" list to go with the pajama/banggai cardinals or the scarlet/longnose hawkfish.

OP
OP
Alenya

Alenya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely recommenced that if you had to pick from your "extras" list to go with the pajama/banggai cardinals or the scarlet/longnose hawkfish.

Since I added a couple more wrasse I left off the cardinals, I am pretty sure 11 fish is plenty for the tank.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 26.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back