Stomatella snail died from salinity change?

SquidySpecs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My aquarium is brand new, only about 3 days old at this point, and a stomatella snail that hitchhiked from live rock just died. I tested my water at the store today and the results were 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate, 0.5 phosphate, and 1.026 salinity. The lfs worker told me the salinity may be a little high and so I did a tiny water change with freshwater to get it to around 1.025. Could such a tiny change kill a snail if it occurs too quickly? Is the phosphate high enough to be an issue? (They didn't say anything about it) I just feel something must be really wrong if a stomatella snail of all things died.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'd guess it's more likely that the snail died from a lack of food?

Is there algae in the tank? Do you know what the salinity of the water the rock came from was? Is your pH stable? Temperature?

The salinity change shouldn't be enough to have caused the death but the lack of algae can, temperature spikes can, and pH spikes can.

OP
OP
SquidySpecs

SquidySpecs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd guess it's more likely that the snail died from a lack of food?

Is there algae in the tank? Do you know what the salinity of the water the rock came from was? Is your pH stable? Temperature?

The salinity change shouldn't be enough to have caused the death but the lack of algae can, temperature spikes can, and pH spikes can.
pH was around 8.0 and the temperature has been a steady 76°F, there is only one chunk of live rock in the tank, the sand and remaining rock all being dry so maybe it is possible the snail ran out of algae to eat. I assume salinity of the tank the live rock came from was the same as mine since I got my saltwater from the same place, but I can ask the lfs to make sure. If the lack of algae is the cause, hopefully the snail's death can contribute nutrients for algae growth.

OP
OP
SquidySpecs

SquidySpecs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pH was around 8.0 and the temperature has been a steady 76°F, there is only one chunk of live rock in the tank, the sand and remaining rock all being dry so maybe it is possible the snail ran out of algae to eat. I assume salinity of the tank the live rock came from was the same as mine since I got my saltwater from the same place, but I can ask the lfs to make sure. If the lack of algae is the cause, hopefully the snail's death can contribute nutrients for algae growth.
Just found another stomatella snail in the tank alive and well so I don't think water parameters were the cause of death.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 81 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back