STOP SWEATING THE SMALL THINGS! KISS FRIENDS! :)

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want to throw this out to all the new and upcoming and learning reefers, because whether it's Cyano, or Diatoms, or Dinos, or or or whatever "popped up in your reef overnight and now you're freaking out" and I see like 15 posts daily about this.

Stop sweating every small thing in your reef. Leave your reef alone. Let it do it's thing. THE UGLIES AND ALGAE ARE PART OF THE OCEAN MAN!

My "uglies" came in Nov 9th on a new transfer build.

They're clearing up and getting better.

What I did. NOTHING.

I actually probably just fed a little less to help "starve it" although going from 3 Cubes a day to 1 is still adding nutrients (As well as AB+ and Phyto) it's LESS!

Stop DOSING AND TINKERING AND ADDING AND FREAKING OUT.

JUST CHILL OUT MAN! :D

Live rock, and Live bacteria are your friends in the beginning, maybe some Carbon & Phosphate removal (I do actually highly suggest running Chemi-Pure for the first 6 months as it has GFO and Carbon) But just leave everything else alone!

That's all. Everything is coming along fine!

NOV 9th
IMG_3211.jpeg

NOV 17th
IMG_3249.jpeg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you do when this happens:

1. the wait time they’re willing to wait passes

2. they want a known completion date where excuses to all viewers can stop

3. their system doesn’t do what yours did

we need to see what you did in six others reefs, not your own.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But what if I like tinkering? ;)
Maintaining a frag tank is one thing. It's an entirely different scenario with an active live reef where you've got 100's of inhabitants all coexisting (hopefully happily interacting). Sometimes you do need to freak out and jump on things (velvet).

OP
OP
terraincognita

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you do when this happens:

1. the wait time they’re willing to wait passes

2. they want a known completion date where excuses to all viewers can stop

3. their system doesn’t do what yours did

we need to see what you did in six others reefs, not your own.

well when that happens you can just tag @brandon429 ;-).

But I think you also agree more OFTEN then not, especially when seeded with live Bac. Things SHOULD not always, but should go along just fine, if you KISS.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m chat I’m working with a three month old nano reef it’s perfect candidate. Asking him to post current status pics we watch for the self balance fix

we were going to use peroxide and an eventual rip clean to fix the challenge, nobody likes those jobs this way can be applied to a current external challenge reef it certainly isnt going to harm anything to try hands off mode a couple weeks.

OP
OP
terraincognita

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But what if I like tinkering? ;)
Maintaining a frag tank is one thing. It's an entirely different scenario with an active live reef where you've got 100's of inhabitants all coexisting (hopefully happily interacting). Sometimes you do need to freak out and jump on things (velvet).
Yes of course 100% agreed.

There's a LOT of things that need immediate attention.

I've lost nems to power heads and, that required IMMEDIATE and a LOT of attention.

There's lots of other situations that are dire as well including Velvet.

This is more of a reminder that things like Cyano, Diatoms, and Dinos will pass and can be treated, and more often than not, it just requires some patience :).

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes of course 100% agreed.
There's a LOT of things that need immediate attention.

I've lost nems to power heads and, that required IMMEDIATE and a LOT of attention.
There's lots of other situations that are dire as well including Velvet.

This is more of a reminder that things like Cyano, Diatoms, and Dinos will pass and can be treated, and more often than not, it just requires some patience :).
My preference is to spend any money that I might have spent on chemicals to expand my cleaning crew. I'm paying good money for them to keep my tank clean dangit!

OP
OP
terraincognita

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m chat I’m working with a three month old nano reef it’s perfect candidate. Asking him to post current status pics we watch for the self balance fix

we were going to use peroxide and an eventual rip clean to fix the challenge, nobody likes those jobs this way can be applied to a current external challenge reef it certainly isnt going to harm anything to try hands off mode a couple weeks.
I'm feeling chatty today, so.... :p

So basically what you're saying is even in points 1, 2 and 3 above just to wait even longer right?

If so, I would also agree lol.

Ultimately I think no matter whats going on in your reef, if you take a step back and reduce to the bare minimum again, things will balance out, you may lose more livestock in the process, but eventually you will find a good balance and once you find it if you build on it, you will be fine, but when people stack jenga towers of unbalanced params from the beginning by tinkering (like dosing vibrant since the start up of their tank) I just think it allows for the wrong jenga block to be pulled and finally

New Thread: "HELP! WHAT'S GOING ON?!?"

First Post: Reef's been up for 8 months, been dosing A, b, ,c, , d, e, f, g, h,

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I think brandon is referring to my reef. Looks like I do have an issue with an algae names Dictyota.

Not sure if this will be fixed by itself or maybe a big CuC. Ive heard that algae is a true nightmare…

7CF522F2-60DA-4A1E-87C9-E6FF50610500.jpeg D3A903E3-5C2F-4BB0-B1D3-761591906C3A.jpeg 109A7465-C55F-4BAD-A9B7-2BB99E60BA80.jpeg ABE4FDBD-CE78-48DB-8CDC-21179FDC4FF3.jpeg 28B502EF-FE2C-4F9C-B541-1C7601D16021.jpeg

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post pics, agreed this is not hard to try and we already know peroxide is a big work job done hundreds of times, this way can try new avenues. Post pics and then set a checkpoint follow up timeline to assess better or worse control of the offending mass

OP
OP
terraincognita

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I think brandon is referring to my reef. Looks like I do have an issue with an algae names Dictyota.

Not sure if this will be fixed by itself or maybe a big CuC. Ive heard that algae is a true nightmare…

7CF522F2-60DA-4A1E-87C9-E6FF50610500.jpeg D3A903E3-5C2F-4BB0-B1D3-761591906C3A.jpeg 109A7465-C55F-4BAD-A9B7-2BB99E60BA80.jpeg ABE4FDBD-CE78-48DB-8CDC-21179FDC4FF3.jpeg 28B502EF-FE2C-4F9C-B541-1C7601D16021.jpeg

I can see what you're talking about is the nuisiance Algae

But to me, and probably a lot of people I look at these photos and think "Wait what's the problem?" :p

But, yes there are scenarios where certain algaes will be invasive, but that's not the problem I was trying to comment on :).

Aiptasia needs to be removed or killed, you can't "wait that out" either.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Some get true nuisance algae
Some mismanage the situation
Some use Tap water although we preach RO water
Some do what they want to do because its THEIR tank
Some read a better way in a book published in 1982
Some joy from Panic

OP
OP
terraincognita

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some get true nuisance algae
Some mismanage the situation
Some use Tap water although we preach RO water
Some do what they want to do because its THEIR tank
Some read a better way in a book published in 1982
Some joy from Panic
All True.

Some people do like ice in their soup, haha

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really would be ideal to find control options that don’t remove layers of life from the rocks. Heck it’s so hard to find animal and clean up crew combinations that actually stay on target if any can be matched to this invasion it’s a total win. Being able to match a grazer to a job is very hands off and ideal if it can be harnessed in pattern to a decent degree.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best be sweating your Alk numbers

Too low <7 or too high >11 = your corals suffer

Bicarbonate is the #1 element coral rely on, but just enough, not too little, not too much

Last edited:

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
although I agree with your advise 100%, your example doesnt seem relevant. You're an experienced reefer with what looks like a frag tank, and its a "transfer build" so you had help from an established tank. Those posts you refer to are from newbies starting from scratch with new dry rocks. Its completely different.

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
although I agree with your advise 100%, your example doesnt seem relevant. You're an experienced reefer with what looks like a frag tank, and its a "transfer build" so you had help from an established tank. Those posts you refer to are from newbies starting from scratch with new dry rocks. Its completely different.
I think he covered that when he said live rock is your best friend in a new tank. I do agree they are different but I like the point made that sometimes we over work our issues sometimes. Especially early on

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back