Storage under garage drilling holes?

Jakob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so my house has a large space built under my garage. Acts like a shed. Doesnt get real hot or cold in there. So I am thinking about building a rodi water system in their on the wall adjacent to the house. My question is

Structurally will it be ok to drill 1" hole through the concrete to get a water line through?

Hate to cut up the drywall but would really make it easier than getting a garden hose out...

Another idea I got is to get a 20g brute and put it on a elevated stand with wheels about 2ft off the ground and put a spigot on the bottom, then wheel that into the house and open the valve over the sump and refill the tank that way. Fill the sump up and then use the return pump to fill the tank? Would that work? I would have the spigot going out of the tub about a foot to be able to reach it into the sump. I really dont want soft tubing so it doesn't like fall out while I'm re filling... ideas or comments?

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A rolling bucket could be a disaster waiting to happen.
What are you trying to do, water changes or top off?

OP
OP
Jakob

Jakob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A rolling bucket could be a disaster waiting to happen.
What are you trying to do, water changes or top off?
Looking to do water changes with it. Really don't want to move 5 gallon buckets all over the place and mix everything in diffrent buckets

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I did maintenance we did many water changes from the basement. Not as hard as it seems, either with hard pipe or hose. A 1 inch hole in concrete should not be a problem as long as you insert something in the hole to help keep it rigid, like a piece of sched. 80 pvc or even black pipe. The smaller pipe should be sealed in with something like Great Stuff.

OP
OP
Jakob

Jakob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided what to do. To keep away the possibility of any freezing, I'm going to put my rodi unit in the luandry room about 17 feet away. Run the tube up about 3 feet and over 17 down 2 feet and through a concrete wall into my rodi storage brutes.

20201011_215849.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back