Stored live sand still good?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Briguy350
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Briguy350

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
May 14, 2012
Messages
129
Reaction score
17
Location
St. Paul, Mn
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a used tank and the guy took all his live sand and put it in containers with a little saltwater from the tank he tore down. That sand has been sitting for about 1 1/2 years now. Is it still good to use? I'd hate to have to spend a bunch more money on sand now to. It's a 75 gallon tank.
 
Just rinse and reuse. I just put it in a bucket and a garden house outside and let it run out the top until the water comes out clear. I then rinse with ro/di water after.
 
I would not use it unless you rinse like crazy and let it dry out and probably rinse again....I wouldn't consider it live anymore...at least in a good way.
 
You can use bleach and rinse it real good. :)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new