Strange Milli Growth

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a red milli from WWC in January. I puttied it down where I wanted it and let it be. In roughly 6.5 months it has not grown up at all, but has encrusted roughly a 3" radius around the base of the frag. Any ideas? What info will help you figure this out? Do i have a "special" milli?

RalphsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the time, they will encrust "out" before they go "up." That way they have a solid base to grow from. Some grow quicker than others.

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alot of millipora will put out a encrusting base to keep them stable and from not moving...if you have alot of flow in your tank,and the millipora was moving a tiny bit,the coral will put out a larger base to resist falling...

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the time, they will encrust "out" before they go "up." That way they have a solid base to grow from. Some grow quicker than others.

+1

You could relate acropora growth to trees, kinda. A tree needs roots to stay balanced and anchored to the ground or it would fall over. So a wider base on the acropora acts like the roots of a tree in the balance-sense.

OP
OP
X

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I figured they would grow up a little bit. It looks like a giant pepperoni with a lump in the middle on my rock. I am just confused. All of my other SPS encrust a little then grow up. I am just confused.

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sooner or later you should start to see little "sprouts" where new branches will form...

kellyjn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hang in there. You will have a TON of vertical growth shortly. Be patient. Have a few that behaved this way.

secretreefer

**MAD PHANTOM SCIENTIST**
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
same here my RP had a large base with a tiny nub. but i just discovered it got caught in my alk swing.....now it's just a tiny nub with no base again.

Nuocmam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My theory is that with a larger base it has a larger surface area with which it can obtain light. With a larger surface area it can feed itself via photosynthesis and eventually grow upwards. Be patient. I've had some sticks sit there and puddle for a year and then all of a sudden start growing. Its part of the fun to watch it do this.

OP
OP
X

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you for the info everyone. I am no longer worried about it and cannot wait for it to start growing up super fast.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pink lemonade encrusted for a year, It finally shot up and just took off after that and hasnt stoped since. Kinda crazy how they lay down a base first.

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first got my RP frag it was three 1- 1 1/2" pieces on some live rock rubble. It encrusted quite a bit then grew like wild fire. It however never grew from the three original pieces, just formed new sprouts and grew from there.

blkhawk10

Big U G baby!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just give it time, I have the same problem with my SPS but it's worth it when they do start shooting up.

Back