Strange

SC1000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are these strange tall tubed shaped fosforescents vegetation ?? Good or Bad ??

image.jpg

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is Neomeris, also known as Finger algae, Caterpillar weed, and Spindleweed (but I enjoy calling it Alien fingers). It is a calcified, green macroalgae that usually does not do well in aquariums (however, there is a rare chance they might overrun your aquarium). They are VERY hard to come by in the trade (maybe you could grow your colony and sell off new "shoots"). How did you manage to obtain yours/where did it come from?

OP
OP
SC1000

SC1000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your replies. It actually grew on its own. I had velvet 18 months ago which killed all my fish except a wrasse and I haven’t done anything to the tank since then. During this time it slowly appeared, my corals are growing well and fast . So this algae and the other that has appeared (a type that seems to have leafs on its branches) must have improved my water quality. !

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other algae looks like caleurpa racemosa. Some consider it the devil but I like it. You just have to prune it to make it behave and don't let the holdfasts connect anywhere you don't want it to forever be.

OP
OP
SC1000

SC1000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I will as it is growing fast. I do like it too. I don’t have a refugium but now I do directly in my tank!

Taki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tagging along. I also have Neomeris Annulata. Pretty certain it came on the cured live rock I bought from the lfs or maybe from a coral frag but I doubt it. They’re getting big and starting to spread, ugly too. My question is, can I remove the live rock shortly and pull the fingerweed with tweezers then dab the root area with something strong like bleach or peroxide? Will an urchin eat it?

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tagging along. I also have Neomeris Annulata. Pretty certain it came on the cured live rock I bought from the lfs or maybe from a coral frag but I doubt it. They’re getting big and starting to spread, ugly too. My question is, can I remove the live rock shortly and pull the fingerweed with tweezers then dab the root area with something strong like bleach or peroxide? Will an urchin eat it?
Pictures?

Back