Straton Pro - Has anyone else caught this teaser?

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was one of the first to get them last time but I paid a small fortune along with the brackets. I can probably get them again depending how deep you want to reach in your wallet…. And your trusting that they do not take you for the cash.

I’ll take 4 of the large panels if you find them
Lol I still can't buy the brackets, even from the EU vendors. They refuse to sell it without selling the profile, but will happily sell brackets only to someone living in DE.

That's the one thing I really don't like about the German brands (and it's not just across this hobby), the order of their focus / release cadence goes DE >> EU >>>>>> NA

These look interesting, Im currently running stratons on my reef and getting good growth but would would possibly switch to Pros if we can get them here.

As @Hydrored said I would love to have a better mounting solution. If there would be some way to use t slot rail that would make them easier to use.
The OEM brackets fit 8020 style profiles, they just won't sell them to anyone across the pond without buying the profile bar to go with them.

I could 3d print brackets up quite easily but I don't trust a rather expensive, all metal, still hard to get fixture to the whims of PETG / ABS layer adhesion if you accidently bump into the lights.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too bad they don't have a light that won't cost the same as my entire tank's initial setup did.

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are you so crazy about these lights, the first one was deceptive,this one seems to be improved a bit,but nothing special apart the marketing.They are actually,no test,no comparison,no long term success story. You jump on every new led that comes each time on the market?

BiGGiePauls33

YT/GreatBeardedReef and IG/GreatBeardedReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are you so crazy about these lights, the first one was deceptive,this one seems to be improved a bit,but nothing special apart the marketing.They are actually,no test,no comparison,no long term success story. You jump on every new led that comes each time on the market?

Dana Riddle did a decent performance test of the light

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dana Riddle did a decent performance test of the light
Is saw them not nice at all and why so many people sell them already?And the coverage should be same t5 what is completely wrong,the comparative test showed it.
The led is ok but nothing incredible or better than some competitor and still far from t5.

Justin Thibodeaux

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Comes down to ACTAUL coverage (T5-like without shadows from point source light), flexibility in both spectrum and strength, and efficiency for me. Closest comparison in regards to coverage are orpheks which have produced some impressive tanks (see robs 400 gallon system), but this light has a terrible disco-ball effect and I've seen many cases where people have issues with them breaking. Lights like Radions would cost an even bigger fortune to get the same blanket coverage (without shadowing). Neptune skys are larger (and supposedly lacks spectrum), but the footprint of the Stratons and spectrum potential is awesome. Also, the Pros run their LEDS at 30% due to the shear number of diodes on the fixture (and use of reflectors sorta like reefi lights) so longevity of the diodes themselves should be solid. It is also silent with no fan. Lastly, it is a very sleek design, but that doesn't matter as much to me as they will be going in a hood.

Another obvious light to compare to are the philips coral care lights. Great lights, but are underpowered for a full SPS 30" deep tank.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another obvious light to compare to are the philips coral care lights. Great lights, but are underpowered for a full SPS 30" deep tank.

What makes you say it is under powered? Don't fall into the BRS investigate trap. The kit will reach 30" just as a similar watt light will. The only reason it wouldn't is if you shut down most of the LEDs to try and achieve a full blue spectrum. Which is what BRS did and said it wouldn't be a good SPS light.

Lights are a lot like tools. There is a right one for a job. Assess your lighting needs, design, corals, spectrum preference, and choose accordingly.

But yes - assuming one prefers AB+ or heavy blue spectrum over their SPS then the Gen 2 wouldn't be a wise choice. More natural looking reef on the other hand it is a wise choice.

Justin Thibodeaux

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What makes you say it is under powered? Don't fall into the BRS investigate trap. The kit will reach 30" just as a similar watt light will. The only reason it wouldn't is if you shut down most of the LEDs to try and achieve a full blue spectrum. Which is what BRS did and said it wouldn't be a good SPS light.

Lights are a lot like tools. There is a right one for a job. Assess your lighting needs, design, corals, spectrum preference, and choose accordingly.

But yes - assuming one prefers AB+ or heavy blue spectrum over their SPS then the Gen 2 wouldn't be a wise choice. More natural looking reef on the other hand it is a wise choice.
Not underpowered for most, but for my goals, yes.

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So to show you that the straton isn't close to t5,here is a comparative of straton vs t5.Left the T5 ,right the straton.As you can see the reality so that it isn't close at all!
T5 emits the light in a 360-degree angle and an infinite number of points emits the same spectrum. The Straton and even more so the Straton pro, on the other hand, produce light cones, and that too in different colors!

LED spot of this lamp (400 mm x 400 mm) has approx. 1 cm², which makes approx. 150 cm² of radiating surface with approx. 150 spots. With a T5 with 400 mm x 400 mm, on the other hand, you get 160,000 cm² of radiating surface, i.e. about 1000 times as much.

And then there's one thing in particular about LEDs that bothers me a lot, namely that the colors of fish and corals only come across as washed out. The prime example for me is the lemon doctor, which really glows under HQI and T5, and looks like a pale lemon under LED. The same with certain corals. I remember a snow-white SPS many years ago in a dealer's show tank that looked like ivory under HQI and T5, I've never seen anything like it under LED.Or the beautiful pink coral from kz that look same nothing under led.

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2022-04-28 221611.jpg
    Capture d’écran 2022-04-28 221611.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 28
  • Capture d’écran 2022-04-28 221626.jpg
    Capture d’écran 2022-04-28 221626.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 33

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So to show you that the straton isn't close to t5,here is a comparative of straton vs t5.Left the T5 ,right the straton.As you can see the reality so that it isn't close at all!
T5 emits the light in a 360-degree angle and an infinite number of points emits the same spectrum. The Straton and even more so the Straton pro, on the other hand, produce light cones, and that too in different colors!

LED spot of this lamp (400 mm x 400 mm) has approx. 1 cm², which makes approx. 150 cm² of radiating surface with approx. 150 spots. With a T5 with 400 mm x 400 mm, on the other hand, you get 160,000 cm² of radiating surface, i.e. about 1000 times as much.

And then there's one thing in particular about LEDs that bothers me a lot, namely that the colors of fish and corals only come across as washed out. The prime example for me is the lemon doctor, which really glows under HQI and T5, and looks like a pale lemon under LED. The same with certain corals. I remember a snow-white SPS many years ago in a dealer's show tank that looked like ivory under HQI and T5, I've never seen anything like it under LED.Or the beautiful pink coral from kz that look same nothing under led.

While this isn't a t5 vs led thread, I have to point out that you cherry picked the data to look at the spread at 2 INCHES under the water. 6 inches under the surface also isn't very deep, and that would not be unexpected. Simply raising the light up higher will fix this issue.

Also, you third paragraph is not really useable in any argument here because led lights can produce various colors, so what you saw on that was one light with one particular setting. That is a criticism of the specific light and light setting you saw, which is not applicable to any other case.

Again, I just had to point these out because cherry picking data is a serious issue. I don't want to make this another useless debate thread.

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While this isn't a t5 vs led thread, I have to point out that you cherry picked the data to look at the spread at 2 INCHES under the water. 6 inches under the surface also isn't very deep, and that would not be unexpected. Simply raising the light up higher will fix this issue.

Also, you third paragraph is not really useable in any argument here because led lights can produce various colors, so what you saw on that was one light with one particular setting. That is a criticism of the specific light and light setting you saw, which is not applicable to any other case.

Again, I just had to point these out because cherry picking data is a serious issue. I don't want to make this another useless debate thread.
I am not against led as I have myself.It is not cherry picking data ,at any high they are less bad, and I not know a lot of people that want high them on the ceiling sale coral farms do. And this alone show you the led not even come close.Yes people can go with them and maybe be happy, but they should be aware of the reality the advantage and disadvantage of each technology and not be miss leaded by false marketing claims.
Led use less electricity and are programmable,you can have sunrise sunset..yes this I agree,but the spectrum and spread is still behind the older technologies.
I think people should use a mix of the two technologies until we get a led that match them for really.I experimented enough on my one tanks for the difference, and I also see the tanks of my friends before and after, even with the straton.They are reasons why most sell them already..

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

We get it, you don’t like the Stratons. Fact is people will still buy the Stratons no matter what your opinion is. Unless you have used the Stratons, what do you have to offer this thread?

I wouldn’t buy Stratons expecting a T5 replacement, two different technologies.

Last edited:

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We get it, you don’t like the Stratons. Fact is people will still buy the Stratons no matter what your opinion is. Unless you have used the Stratons, what do you have to offer this thread?

Personal bias.

Back