Stray voltage and wife rage - help a guy out?

Jonas Bergkvist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After getting zapped in my finger a couple of times i got myself a voltage meter. Not even sure i'm reading it right. I thought I'd post it here and see what you guys think.

Short back story: my skimmer overflowed and i guess two liters came out in the aquarium stand and out on the parquet floor. Floor is a bit ruined, but my wife hasn't seen it yet :oops: I pulled all but return pump and waves out. At first i did not get any voltage readings so i thought i solved it.

After a day i got another zap. Measured again and nothing....but all of a sudden i got a reading once again. Discovered that when i DID get zapped i stood on the moist parquet. So i measured from the moist spot to various things and YAY.....i still have a problem.

Does this mean that the electricity comes from a pump or something, and when i put my finger in the water the electricity passes through me and down somewhere? Because i act as a ground? Fish seems unaffected - i guess the aquarium is isolated.

I guess next thing is to pull my return pump and work from there. I so hope it's not that pump. Does my measurement mean that it's an AC pump that's broken?

Any help/suggestions is much appreciated - i don't want to get electrocuted and i feel uncomfortable doing this. Wait, wife floor-rage-death or electrified-to-death? ;Blackeye

Voltage DCV
Wood floor to socket ground = 0,3v
Tank water to socket ground = 0,001v
Tank water to wood floor = 1v

And here comes the fun part:
Voltage ACV
Tank water to socket ground = 7,6-9,3v
Wood floor to socket ground = 80,5v
Tank water to wood floor = 110v

IMG-5323.jpg

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a serious problem and it appears that the socket ground is faulty too.
I'd call an electrician to check the socket and house ground.

The issue will be a submerged mains operated device such as a pump or heater.

Unplug each one at a time and test using the meter to determine which device is faulty.

OP
OP
Jonas Bergkvist

Jonas Bergkvist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a UV sterilizer which might have a shattered bulb?
Or one of your heaters (if you have more than one) is leak and has water inside.
I don't have a UV sterilizer but have three heaters that i disconnected. They use the same socket that also controls the heat. I will check again and also take all heaters out and inspect them thanks.

OP
OP
Jonas Bergkvist

Jonas Bergkvist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m gonna guess heater and or wave maker these are usually culprits
Thanks, I'll check the heaters again and tomorrow I'll unplug the wavemakers. The wavemakers are not that old - two of them are maybe six months and the third two months. It's Apex Wavs - lets just hope the warranty is still valid if its one of those. They are so expensive it's crazy.

Honestly, the worst case is if the return pump is the problem here - i'm kind of short of money and as you know a return pump is essential in a reef tank ;Dead

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a faulty heater , in my case the charge would still be in the water for a little bit but the next day after turning off heater / removing I felt no charge/shock. I would replace

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing I would make sure is you fix the ground issues with your electrical then get a grounding probe which is like 15$. No money is worth being killed for a fish tank. Your most likely is one of your powerheads if no heaters are connected.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Do a process of elimination.2
Unplug powerheads and check. If gone, you know the source. If not, leave unplugged then . . .
unplug heater- if gone- heater. if not leave unplugged and unplug next component- you get the drift.

A grounding probe will also help alleviate until you correct issue :

1647384213517.png

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or your tank is grounded through a heater or something and the wood floor installers put a nail in an electric wire.
And here comes the fun part:
Voltage ACV
Tank water to socket ground = 7,6-9,3v Normal
Wood floor to socket ground = 80,5v not normal
Tank water to wood floor = 110v very not normal, something is energized

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unplug powerheads and check. If gone, you know the source. If not, leave unplugged then . . .
unplug heater- if gone- heater. if not leave unplugged and unplug next component- you get the drift.

1647384213517.png
Based on the original post, I believe the outlet ground or building ground to be faulty.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@WVNed pointed out the main issue.....voltage between the ground and wood floor.....ouch!

I'd start by picking up or borrowing an outlet tester. If you need to buy, they are relatively inexpensive. Will test that outlet and let you know if that is the issue. The one problem I see is if that comes back normal I don't know were to start with an energized floor????

Outlet tester.png

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen almost any part of a house energized through a broken ground or a nail or screw contacting an electric wire.
Appliances, floors, heating ducts, a single nail to hang a picture.

If you are seeing 110 V you need an electrician.

Tsquared

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably a good idea to wear rubber sole shoes and rubber gloves if you are testing it or making adjustments.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you had a GFCI outlet like you do in your bathrooms and kitchen.... you'd know immediately which device plugged in is faulty bc the GFCI would trip almost immediately upon plugging it in

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1647384213517.png
If your surge protected power strip already have the 3 pronged plug in your outlet aren't you already grounded?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back