Struggling Acros, need help IDing issue

HomeSlizzice

Wrasse/Angelfish nut!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have about a 8 acro frags I’ve had for months now, but I am having issues with 2 newer ones I got at RAP. Please see the attached pics. The only difference between them and my current acros that are doing wel is that these two are on a frag plug without a stem so they slide around my frag rack a bit from snails.

Thanks!

6daf7d430d7c3e546880af0c04986a42.jpg
9a148eff50ad98cd63bc9283dbc354ae.jpg
d82b849f77b234c6019245667ce786bf.jpg
28f97d494a8cbc72763ce7d680ad47ae.jpg

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We’ll need more info about your tank
Parameters, lighting, dosing, nutrient export,etc

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are they on a frag rack and not the reef structure? And without any other amplifying information, we cant assist you with anything.

OP
OP
HomeSlizzice

HomeSlizzice

Wrasse/Angelfish nut!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are on the frag rack for growing out until my new tank is up. From the photos they don't appear to have any pests, like red bugs or AEFW's right??

specs its the following:
25G cube
AI Hydra 26HD with all blues/UV at 75%, White at 18%, and Red and Green at 12%
Frag rack is 5-6" from water surface.
Using Seachem matrix for bio filtration, filter floss for mechanical, and Blue Life USA Clear Fx Pro (Carbon, Phosphate resin, organic scavenger) similar to ChemiPure Elite.

Water Parameters:
Alk: is 7.1 dkh. But I tend to stay up around 8.0, I haven't done a water change for 3 weeks, hence the drop.
Ca idk
Mg idk
Temp 78.8F
Salinity: 1.026
Nitrate: idk
Phosphate: idk

As for buffering, I have a doser adding ESV 2 part once a day.

I'm mainly just making sure it doesn't look like a pest issue. If my levels are a little low, I'll obviously correct that.

speedstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if not bugs of some sort, I have scene high p04 cause that type of tissue loss. I would test it, even though i see your using a remover.

Also you should be dosing 2 part enough to not have a drop like that. Then match you water change water imo

not to come off as mean, but thats alot of idk's for someone wanting to keep sps

OP
OP
HomeSlizzice

HomeSlizzice

Wrasse/Angelfish nut!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if not bugs of some sort, I have scene high p04 cause that type of tissue loss. I would test it, even though i see your using a remover.

Also you should be dosing 2 part enough to not have a drop like that. Then match you water change water imo

not to come off as mean, but thats alot of idk's for someone wanting to keep sps

Yeah like I said, I mainly posted this for wanting to see if anyone could identify any bugs. Higher phosphates wouldn't surprise me right now.

I've added some corals and haven't adjusted the dose accordingly yet, hence the drop.

Lol, no offense taken. I haven't tested the "idk's" in a few weeks so I didn't feel like putting down old numbers because they wouldn't be accurate as of today. I've gotten busy/lazy with the tank recently due to holidays, work travel, etc.. and everything else is doing good (including 8 other acros) other than the 2 corals I shared.

So the main question is does the tissue loss/color loss on these 2 look to be from bugs, or water parameters?

speedstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah like I said, I mainly posted this for wanting to see if anyone could identify any bugs. Higher phosphates wouldn't surprise me right now.

I've added some corals and haven't adjusted the dose accordingly yet, hence the drop.

Lol, no offense taken. I haven't tested the "idk's" in a few weeks so I didn't feel like putting down old numbers because they wouldn't be accurate as of today. I've gotten busy/lazy with the tank recently due to holidays, work travel, etc.. and everything else is doing good (including 8 other acros) other than the 2 corals I shared.

So the main question is does the tissue loss/color loss on these 2 look to be from bugs, or water parameters?

i don't see the typical bite marks of AEFW so thats good. I did see some stn similar from higher po4 and new tank in my case. can;t offer much more of an idea though

OP
OP
HomeSlizzice

HomeSlizzice

Wrasse/Angelfish nut!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i don't see the typical bite marks of AEFW so thats good. I did see some stn similar from higher po4 and new tank in my case. can;t offer much more of an idea though

Thank you, that is similar to my thinking as well. I'm happy to see that you also didn't notice any bite marks. I'll do some testing of the other parameters, a water change, and correct any high po4 levels. I appreciate the help!

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3rd pic looks kind like AEFW bites but Im not seeing any flat worms. I would dip them in revive and frag above the STN. You need to be testing for ca, mg, no and po4. Dial in your dosing to keep alk and ca from dropping.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, that third picture looks like an injury to me as well. could be lots of things.. like your hands.. anything that stings on your frag rack?

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had acros that looked like that because they were starving from not enough light (par and spectrum) from my single hydra and because I was stripping the water with gfo. I think you should ditch the clear fx and check your par.

OP
OP
HomeSlizzice

HomeSlizzice

Wrasse/Angelfish nut!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, that third picture looks like an injury to me as well. could be lots of things.. like your hands.. anything that stings on your frag rack?

The white spot at the base is from super glue and a little nub of the same acros that was placed on the base. The nub broke off. It definitely can run into things in my frag rang because the base doesn't have a plug which sucks...

I had acros that looked like that because they were starving from not enough light (par and spectrum) from my single hydra and because I was stripping the water with gfo. I think you should ditch the clear fx and check your par.

Yeah I'm not really happy with having 1 Hydra26HD on the tank, even on this 18" cube I still get some shadowing with the corals being on the frag rack, but I need them elevated because I don't want to crank the PAR up too much because I have a lot of LPS in the tank too, like rainbow Acan colonies. I'm going to be setting up a SPS focused display, and a tank for my LPS, softies, and flower nems. The cube is temporary.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was refering to the 4th photo actually, sorry about that. the little white stripe, could be a reflection.

a pair of t5 shoukdnt really blast your acans too much if you decide to go that route. For reference my acans seem to do fine around 200 par..which is a little high.

cheers.

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The white spot at the base is from super glue and a little nub of the same acros that was placed on the base. The nub broke off. It definitely can run into things in my frag rang because the base doesn't have a plug which sucks...

Yeah I'm not really happy with having 1 Hydra26HD on the tank, even on this 18" cube I still get some shadowing with the corals being on the frag rack, but I need them elevated because I don't want to crank the PAR up too much because I have a lot of LPS in the tank too, like rainbow Acan colonies. I'm going to be setting up a SPS focused display, and a tank for my LPS, softies, and flower nems. The cube is temporary.
I’ve got 2 52 HD’s above a 50 gallon cube. Par is 600 at the top and 350 on the sanbed. My acans are getting around 400 par.

OP
OP
HomeSlizzice

HomeSlizzice

Wrasse/Angelfish nut!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got 2 52 HD’s above a 50 gallon cube. Par is 600 at the top and 350 on the sanbed. My acans are getting around 400 par.

Dang! That’s so much light! Cool! I have a spare Hydra 26HD I could use on it...

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Y
Dang! That’s so much light! Cool! I have a spare Hydra 26HD I could use on it...
I would absolutely add the second light. You’ll be amazed how much more spread and light the second fixture will add. If I had to do it all over again I would of gone with 2 26’s but I started out with a single 52 hd and had to add more light, spread etc. My lights are 16” above the water and I use the ab+ BRS Radion to hydra program. Acros love it

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not suggesting you should raise your par to what I have mine. I slowly raised my intensity a little each week for 4 months. I also have 4 hour ramps up and down and 4 hours peak

OP
OP
HomeSlizzice

HomeSlizzice

Wrasse/Angelfish nut!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not suggesting you should raise your par to what I have mine. I slowly raised my intensity a little each week for 4 months. I also have 4 hour ramps up and down and 4 hours peak

I appreciate the info. I’ll definitely be looking into adding the 2nd Hydra. I also believe it would help, in addition to the water parameters mentioned earlier lol

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back