Substrate suitable for dwarf seahorses and dwarf pipefish?

salamoonder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I was wondering, because I can't seem to find much information on it from my initial searches/research: do dwarf seahorses and dwarf pipefish make good tankmates? I would think the biggest concern would be if the smaller tank size required for a good food density for the dwarf seahorses would be big enough for the pipefish, and perhaps the dwarf pipefish eating before the seahorses can get a chance.

Provided that they can make good tankmates with the proper care and considerations, what would be a good substrate for both species? How deep of a sandbed would dwarf pipefish be comfortable in, what grain size would work, and does the color matter at all, or would color be purely an aesthetic choice? I would imagine it would be best to start with dry sand in any case to prevent introducing anything harmful to either the pipefish or the seahorses.

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think they could live together fine... especially the little blue striped pipefish... however, dwarf seahorses are ridiculously immobile eaters... they basically just hang on to something and wait for baby brine to come to them. they also cant handle flow... I have mine in a IM 10.. and had to turn the pump down to its lowest setting 13gph and put a micro mesh over the overflow.. these guys have zero ability to push against current (rocks are better swimmers). on the other hand blue stripe pipefish are quite quick and agile.

Last edited:

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.1%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 30 16.2%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 94 50.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back