suggestions for 60g stocking list

crocodile receptionist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have had my 60g tank running for about half a year now and I have 2 clownfish and 1 bangeye. I have soft and lps corals and I'm planning on getting some SPS soon. I have not added many fish to this tank yet and I would like to add some more. Would anyone be able to give me some suggestions on what are good fish to add. I'm planning on adding:
1 small yellow tang
1 carpenter wrasse
1 Mandrin in about 6 months when my pod population increases

Please let me know of some suggestions anyone may have, Thanks!!!

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
60g is way small for a tang, less than half the common suggested minimum of a 125. What about a dwarf angel for something with similar body shape and behavior.

Also what about basslets, and gobies to add some life to the rocks and sand bed? I’m quite partial to shrimp goby pairs and liopropoma.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening, hope all is well.

You have a few choices. I have a 60 fowlr right now fairly well stocked running only a wet dry filter. It was built as a throwback tank designed around damsels.

That said, you can have tangs, but more so bristle tooth type. A flame/Tomini is best. I have a scopas. The other variety like the yellow or purple as pcon mentioned you do want to stay away from. I have a flame angel and white tail angel, but be careful they can nip coral. Love gobies. I also have a flame hawk, cinnamon clown, and damsles.

Just research compatibility with each other and coral befor adding.

OP
OP
crocodile receptionist

crocodile receptionist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening, hope all is well.

You have a few choices. I have a 60 fowlr right now fairly well stocked running only a wet dry filter. It was built as a throwback tank designed around damsels.

That said, you can have tangs, but more so bristle tooth type. A flame/Tomini is best. I have a scopas. The other variety like the yellow or purple as pcon mentioned you do want to stay away from. I have a flame angel and white tail angel, but be careful they can nip coral. Love gobies. I also have a flame hawk, cinnamon clown, and damsles.

Just research compatibility with each other and coral befor adding.
thank you so much for the advice!!

OP
OP
crocodile receptionist

crocodile receptionist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
60g is way small for a tang, less than half the common suggested minimum of a 125. What about a dwarf angel for something with similar body shape and behavior.

Also what about basslets, and gobies to add some life to the rocks and sand bed? I’m quite partial to shrimp goby pairs and liopropoma.
Thank you, Ill keep it in mind!

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d skip the Yellow Tang or any Tang in a 60G unless you have a solid upgrade plan in place. If you really want a Tang a smaller Bristletooth COULD be fine in a 60 or 65 but not a cube.

I’m not sure if a 60 would have enough pods to sustain a Mandarin long-term but I’ll let others weigh in. Your best bet would be to get a CB one from ORA.

The Flasher Wrasse would be fine as they don’t get more than 4” I think.

I’d be looking at:

-Pair of Clowns (Ocellaris)

-Shrimp and Goby Pair

-Bangaii or Pajama Cardinal

-Cherub Angel (Flameback, Cherub)

-Royal Gramma or another Basslet / Assessor

-Blennies

-Smaller Fairy and Flasher Wrasses that Max out at 4”, maybe a Halichoeres if your tank isn’t a cube, Pink Streak and Possum Wrasses

-Maybe even a more peaceful species of damsel like a Yellowtail, Azure, Talbot’s, Starcki’s, Springer’s, Rolland’s, Tricincta etc.

Personally I’d do:

-Clownfish pair

-Cherub / Flameback Angel

-Shrimp and Goby Pair

-Basslet or Assessor

The rest can be wrasses or a blenny or even the damsel or maybe a Dragonet.

OP
OP
crocodile receptionist

crocodile receptionist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d skip the Yellow Tang or any Tang in a 60G unless you have a solid upgrade plan in place. If you really want a Tang a smaller Bristletooth COULD be fine in a 60 or 65 but not a cube.

I’m not sure if a 60 would have enough pods to sustain a Mandarin long-term but I’ll let others weigh in. Your best bet would be to get a CB one from ORA.

The Flasher Wrasse would be fine as they don’t get more than 4” I think.

I’d be looking at:

-Pair of Clowns (Ocellaris)

-Shrimp and Goby Pair

-Bangaii or Pajama Cardinal

-Cherub Angel (Flameback, Cherub)

-Royal Gramma or another Basslet / Assessor

-Blennies

-Smaller Fairy and Flasher Wrasses that Max out at 4”, maybe a Halichoeres if your tank isn’t a cube, Pink Streak and Possum Wrasses

-Maybe even a more peaceful species of damsel like a Yellowtail, Azure, Talbot’s, Starcki’s, Springer’s, Rolland’s, Tricincta etc.

Personally I’d do:

-Clownfish pair

-Cherub / Flameback Angel

-Shrimp and Goby Pair

-Basslet or Assessor

The rest can be wrasses or a blenny or even the damsel or maybe a Dragonet.
Thank you so much Zionas, this really helped me narrow my choices down and helped me decide which fish to get. BTW it is a 60 g long tank.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of them are coral eaters, there is a slight risk to shrimp and snails as far as I know but you should be good for the most part. Yellow Coris according resident wrasse expert @evolved is comparatively the safest. You could also look into a Melanurus, Claudia, Silver Belly (Indian ocean counterpart of Yellow Coris with a white belly), Red Lined, Adorned. These are the smaller Halichoeres species with the Claudia being the smallest maxing out at 4” I think while the rest get to about 5”. Iridis for some unknown reason is also a 5” one but according to LiveAquaria it’s listed as “Expert Only.” Not sure why. In terms of availability Melanurus and Yellow Coris would be your safest.

OP
OP
crocodile receptionist

crocodile receptionist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of them are coral eaters, there is a slight risk to shrimp and snails as far as I know but you should be good for the most part. Yellow Coris according resident wrasse expert @evolved is comparatively the safest. You could also look into a Melanurus, Claudia, Silver Belly (Indian ocean counterpart of Yellow Coris with a white belly), Red Lined, Adorned. These are the smaller Halichoeres species with the Claudia being the smallest maxing out at 4” I think while the rest get to about 5”. Iridis for some unknown reason is also a 5” one but according to LiveAquaria it’s listed as “Expert Only.” Not sure why. In terms of availability Melanurus and Yellow Coris would be your safest.
got it! Thank you for the information!!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back