Sump/bulkhead questions

Allnewtosaltwater

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 20, 2023
Messages
34
Reaction score
6
Location
ohio
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im sure this has been asked a lot but can’t find all my questions in one post. Fairly new to saltwater but have a 180 gallon tank I want to drill and run pvc for a sump. Do I have to use some type of overflow or can I just run the hole straight to the bulkhead and down to the sump? Also what size pipe/bulkhead for this size tank? Going to find a 75 gallon tank for the sump. Also how should I go about returns? I want it to look nice I’ve seen some people just run a 90 into tank and some nozzles.
 
First and foremost make sure the tank is able to be drilled. Is it acrylic or glass? And if its glass check to make sure its not tempered glass, otherwise when drilling it youre going to have a bad day.
 
It’s definitely able to be drilled 👍🏼
First and foremost make sure the tank is able to be drilled. Is it acrylic or glass? And if its glass check to make sure its not tempered glass, otherwise when drilling it youre going to have a bad day.
 
Im sure this has been asked a lot but can’t find all my questions in one post. Fairly new to saltwater but have a 180 gallon tank I want to drill and run pvc for a sump. Do I have to use some type of overflow or can I just run the hole straight to the bulkhead and down to the sump? Also what size pipe/bulkhead for this size tank? Going to find a 75 gallon tank for the sump. Also how should I go about returns? I want it to look nice I’ve seen some people just run a 90 into tank and some nozzles.
As mentioned make sure the glass can be drilled.
There are several brands of overflow kits, some with the drill bits and bulkheads.
Going with just a hole as a drain will be noisy and just be a pain.
 
As mentioned make sure the glass can be drilled.
There are several brands of overflow kits, some with the drill bits and bulkheads.
Going with just a hole as a drain will be noisy and just be a pain.
Also opens up to fish or snails clogging it up easily by crawling/swimming into it
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 24 18.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 40 31.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 18 14.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new