Sump for 90 gallon mixed reef

David Whitlock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone I would like some help. I have a 90 gallon tank that is going to be a mixed reef tank. I bought a 20gallon aqueon tank that I was going to make into a sump for it but decided it’s just too small. I want to buy a 100% sure which one I’m going to get. I’ve been considering the trigger systems sapphire 39, Fiji cube 36 advanced reef sump and triton stealth srs36 or a bashsea sump. Does anyone know anything about these sumps or have suggestions on a better sump? Thank you

Last edited:

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They'll all work for your needs. Some are more geared towards "feature" display (open cabinet), so the first thing I'd do is figure out is what all you're going to run for equipment, ie:
* Do you want to run filter socks or a fleece roller (some sumps are designed for the ClariSea)?
* Do you want to run a refugium or more than one return pump (size is important)?
* Do you want to run any reactors (UV) or other gear that might require a manifold (plumbing)?

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t know anything about those sumps however I am also going to do a 90 gal build. I am am going to use the Aqueon 29 gal with the Fiji Cube Sump Kit (cheaper than the big boys) which will allow me some flexibility on compartment sizes. I am also considering doing a separate 5 or 7 gal HOB refugium that would hang on the side of the sump. All in that would be something like a 32 gallon sump. My selection is based on amount of cabinet space and other things I want to keep in the cabinet.

Good luck with your build whatever you decide.

OP
OP
David Whitlock

David Whitlock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They'll all work for your needs. Some are more geared towards "feature" display (open cabinet), so the first thing I'd do is figure out is what all you're going to run for equipment, ie:
* Do you want to run filter socks or a fleece roller (some sumps are designed for the ClariSea)?
* Do you want to run a refugium or more than one return pump (size is important)?
* Do you want to run any reactors (UV) or other gear that might require a manifold (plumbing)?
So I want to do filter socks or cups, a Refugium probably, skimmer, and that’s about it.

OP
OP
David Whitlock

David Whitlock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t know anything about those sumps however I am also going to do a 90 gal build. I am am going to use the Aqueon 29 gal with the Fiji Cube Sump Kit (cheaper than the big boys) which will allow me some flexibility on compartment sizes. I am also considering doing a separate 5 or 7 gal HOB refugium that would hang on the side of the sump. All in that would be something like a 32 gallon sump. My selection is based on amount of cabinet space and other things I want to keep in the cabinet.

Good luck with your build whatever you decide.
Sounds good. Yeah I’m thinking of getting a sump that I could do a refugium in. Thank you. Good luck to you too!

OP
OP
David Whitlock

David Whitlock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the delays everyone it’s been a very long beginning of the year and. Didn’t get to work on the tank much. I had Covid then my wife did. Then my new baby was born. Then I had kidney stones.

I did all the plumbing finally just have to buy the sand and rock.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back