Sump help!

sternicus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brand new DIY sump I'm building. Do my baffles looks off? I'm only running socks on the left for intake, skimmer in the middle and return on the right.
746120770d3c156a0f6caba048b09881.jpg

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the 2 on the right don't look like they go all the way across...
or it could just be the pic.

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... I mean it will still work. The problem you're going to run into is not having that constant water level in your skimmer chamber that most people look for. But to answer your question, yes they are off. They aren't doing anything for you how they are currently set up.

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It'll pass water from left to right. Aside from that, no real benefit of the baffles as they don't go across the full tank. Plus, those edges look suuuuuper sharp, wouldn't recommend putting hand in for anything. Went to a glass shop and had 5 baffles of 1/4" plate glass cut with beveled edges for under $50. Just had 2 extra in case my plan changed. Here's a pic of my diy sump before equipment added running a leak test.
IMG_7597.JPG

OP
OP
sternicus

sternicus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first one at least looks correct right? I can't seem to cut the acrylic rift with anything. I don't really know how to work with it

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use an acrylic knife to score the acrylic multiple times then snap it along the score mark. and if you are using 1/8" it won't be strong enough to hold back the water, you need 1/4"

146268.jpg

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just get some pre cut glass ones from local glass shop .. ? I would certainly do some more research on baffles in sumps,you can look on here or YouTube .. otherwise just buy a ready made sump ,if you can't afford a new one buy one second hand .

OP
OP
sternicus

sternicus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know of any local glass shops, plus I'd rather take a crack at trying to do it myself

smh254

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first one at least looks correct right? I can't seem to cut the acrylic rift with anything. I don't really know how to work with it

Your first baffle looks correct where water could run under. Your second and third baffle would be fine if they ran all the way across. You'll definitely want to get that second baffle straight so water can flow over it evenly.

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acrylic wont hold to glass long term. That wont hold, promise. If you don't want to buy a baffled set up, just use egg crate, cover it with pet screen from your local hardware store. (not metal, bigger holes) Fasten it with zip ties. That will keep macro out of your skimmer. You can keep the crate steady with water safe magnets.

smh254

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scratch that your third baffle is totally wrong. I think you should have a space at the bottom like your first baffle and it needs to be higher or as high as the second baffle

SJ-reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That acrylic looks way to thin, the water is going to bend them and probably knock them over. You need stability in the baffles so you can maintain your height for your skimmer.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received a sump from a friend who used 1/4" acrylic for a single baffle and it was really freakin' bowed. It appears you used 1/8" acrylic, which is going to be even worse. I just built my 40g breeder sump and had three 1/4" glass baffles with rounded edges and safety beveled made for $34. Google "glass cutting" along with the name of your city, state, ie: "glass cutting clarksville tn", and you will find places you didn't know existed around you that will offer this service.

Also, the silicone will adhere the glass to glass way stronger than acrylic to glass. Also...dude, you need to clean that glass up a bit before you silicone it to even help the silicone to adhere the best it can. Clean the areas that the silicone will touch with some rubbing alcohol. I see there has already been some good advice given for cutting the acrylic straight as well.

Here's a link to a good site showing how to do exactly what you are wanting to do...I used it and my sump turned out really nice! I don't think this is a "competitor" to R2R, but a good article: http://gmacreef.com/reef-tank-sump-diy-glass-baffles/

Don't get discouraged...the first attempt is always the hardest, then it gets easier!!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 151 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%

Back