OP
OP
Amantijt

Amantijt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as the drain in the back its going to be impossible to get a good pic of plus im currently at work. I did set it up identical to the image of a single durso drain the top is where the weirs are and its straight piped all 1 1/4"

OP
OP
Amantijt

Amantijt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EC622F2F-02DF-4D1F-BB62-08DE1AF68B3D.jpeg

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as the drain in the back its going to be impossible to get a good pic of plus im currently at work. I did set it up identical to the image of a single durso drain the top is where the weirs are and its straight piped all 1 1/4"
Take some pics of the back when you get home.

Sump levels look ok in the last pic. Just need to figure out the durso part to see if we can come up with something to stop the level changes.

OP
OP
Amantijt

Amantijt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take some pics of the back when you get home.

Sump levels look ok in the last pic. Just need to figure out the durso part to see if we can come up with something to stop the level changes.
ill try its just pretty close to my wall lol and the level is higher now when i took this last night i was messing with it to get what i wanted outa it but woke up this morning all level across the three chambers and overflowing skimmer lol

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ill try its just pretty close to my wall lol and the level is higher now when i took this last night i was messing with it to get what i wanted outa it but woke up this morning all level across the three chambers and overflowing skimmer lol
No worries. Sometime there is just enough info in a crap picture to figure something out.

snowhite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely should have a Gate or Ball Valve on the overflow pipe coming into the pump, down low above the sump where it's easy to get to and adjust.. Personally I do not like them on return pipes with DC pumps as the DC's don't like restricted flow and you can simply adjust them up or down. If an old style pump and not a DC, then IMHO a valve is fine in return piping.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright got some bad pics via FaceTime from the wife on lunch lol

0BB90090-7FB2-49DF-8299-1A39B1429618.jpeg CE6E86FC-502D-41DD-A3BA-342510A43712.jpeg EFE2EED3-FA2E-4B43-B437-9FAB3B83205A.jpeg 72BE720E-9ABC-49FA-B19B-DD0BC00E1CAD.jpeg BBD0A945-063E-465A-A025-AED8B101FC80.jpeg
If the durso does not reduce size at the bulkhead, you may need to make the vent hole larger and insert a piece of small tubing into the hole and then run the tubing down so it is below the water in the pipe. I have had to do this on old Oceanic tanks with dursos in the past. Those tanks did not step down like most Marineland or Aqueon tanks with a durso.

Doing that would allow a siphon break and should smooth out the flow into the sump. It is very possible you are still pulling a siphon and that is why the return chamber level varies.

I will say, as this is my opinion, a valve on a single drain is a bad idea. Too much risk for an overflow of the DT. Single drains need the least amount of restrictions possible. I would also suggest you order a screen for the drain pipe. Keeps snails and such out.

something like this. Just get one that is the same size as your drain pipe.

OP
OP
Amantijt

Amantijt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the durso does not reduce size at the bulkhead, you may need to make the vent hole larger and insert a piece of small tubing into the hole and then run the tubing down so it is below the water in the pipe. I have had to do this on old Oceanic tanks with dursos in the past. Those tanks did not step down like most Marineland or Aqueon tanks with a durso.

Doing that would allow a siphon break and should smooth out the flow into the sump. It is very possible you are still pulling a siphon and that is why the return chamber level varies.

I will say, as this is my opinion, a valve on a single drain is a bad idea. Too much risk for an overflow of the DT. Single drains need the least amount of restrictions possible. I would also suggest you order a screen for the drain pipe. Keeps snails and such out.

Im not quite understanding what you mean by this other than still pulling a syphon lol ive only been reefing for about a year now and this will be the first time i did plumbing myself so kinda lost at the moment lol

OP
OP
Amantijt

Amantijt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not quite understanding what you mean by this other than still pulling a syphon lol ive only been reefing for about a year now and this will be the first time i did plumbing myself so kinda lost at the moment lol
I can say that the bulk head is screw in type through the bulkhead but the rest is 1 1/4" other than that there is zero difference through out the piping of the drain.

OP
OP
Amantijt

Amantijt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can say that the bulk head is screw in type through the bulkhead but the rest is 1 1/4" other than that there is zero difference through out the piping of the drain.
Reason I don’t have one of those yet is they don’t have them in 1 1/4” lol

Kazumi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a piece of vinyl tubing coming off of your return pump going into your PVC? If so, it appears to be kinked and that could be causing part of your problem anyway.

OP
OP
Amantijt

Amantijt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a piece of vinyl tubing coming off of your return pump going into your PVC? If so, it appears to be kinked and that could be causing part of your problem anyway.
It is tubing but it’s not kinked I heated it up and formed it to work without kinking

OP
OP
Amantijt

Amantijt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ive read and tried to comprehend what your saying lol. So my hole may be too small still that i drilled and i need a hose to push through the drilled hole once i make it bigger and put it into the water of the drain ? What i dont understand is what does the tubing have and effect on that would change the way its flowing?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive read and tried to comprehend what your saying lol. So my hole may be too small still that i drilled and i need a hose to push through the drilled hole once i make it bigger and put it into the water of the drain ? What i dont understand is what does the tubing have and effect on that would change the way its flowing?
The tubing allows air to enter the stream of water draining versus just being above the water draining. Air is pulled in by the water running past the end of the hose as well. It’s main goal is to break a siphon.

un5tab1e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there are 3 holes drilled as it looks, one drain and two return. Consider using one return and make a second emergency drain. Gate valve the main and you'll be silent.

OP
OP
Amantijt

Amantijt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tubing allows air to enter the stream of water draining versus just being above the water draining. Air is pulled in by the water running past the end of the hose as well. It’s main goal is to break a siphon.
so just a hole at the top doesnt cut it? Rather odd?

OP
OP
Amantijt

Amantijt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there are 3 holes drilled as it looks, one drain and two return. Consider using one return and make a second emergency drain. Gate valve the main and you'll be silent.
Only reason i havnt done this is its drilled for a 3/4" bulkhead

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back