Sump overflow protection

KenRexford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thoughts on this idea? I am thinking of drilling a small hole just under the top of my sump to attach a bulkhead and pipe or tubing that would run into a collection area. The idea is that, in the event of what would normally be an overflow of the sump (e.g., ATO stuck on), the excess water would flow through the tube into the collection area rather than randomly over the sides of the sump. Not only would it avoid messes, but a leak detector in the collection area could then trigger shutdown of the ATO and whatever else might cause the overflow. My collection area happens to be a gutter behind the tank, fwiw.

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually did that on one of my previous tanks and used the apex leak detector. Luckily it never was used. Only thing is to make sure that the sump overflow is above the water level in the sump when your return pump is off.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Vacuum break holes drilled in my Return lines inside the tank. They are above the water level. Spill Tray in the bottom of the stand, under the Sump, with an alarm.

OP
OP
KenRexford

KenRexford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank is configured correctly, you'll never overflow your sump.
God’s oceans overflow, so I feel ok that I also have occasional mishaps. A defective water level sensor can’t always be avoided.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also you need to limit your ATO source, to keep from killing your tank off from a stuck ATO. I have 1-1/2 Gallon on the 29, 2-1/2 Gallons on the 65 and 5-1/2 Gallons on the 120. Better to burn up a cheap 12v Pump, than kill your tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back