Sump suggestions for 90 gallon

Chiefmaster30

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just upgraded to a 90 gallon tank. What size sump would you all suggest? I definitely want a refugium section also. Tank can't be drilled so I'm ping to have to go with an overflow box. Also, what size return pump and overflow would you recommend?i am thinking I need 800 Gph turnover. I've never had a sump before so it's all new to me. Any ideas, etc. much appreciated.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just upgraded to a 90 gallon tank. What size sump would you all suggest? I definitely want a refugium section also. Tank can't be drilled so I'm ping to have to go with an overflow box. Also, what size return pump and overflow would you recommend?i am thinking I need 800 Gph turnover. I've never had a sump before so it's all new to me. Any ideas, etc. much appreciated.
I wouldn't go with more than 450 gph. Others disagree but I feel more flow than that is just extra noise.
As for size? Biggest you can fit leaving room for extra equipment

Will2287

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would highly recommend getting a E shop sump I run one on my tank and I love it and it has a built-in refugium and as far as a pump you can use a mag nine . Here's a photo of mine

image.jpg

Will2287

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I buy the same size return pump and overflow?
You decide on which overflow to get based on the size of your aquarium go to E shop.com they sell those as well I'm not sure of the exact one you would need but I know for sure that they will tell you which one for which size aquarium

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You decide on which overflow to get based on the size of your aquarium go to E shop.com they sell those as well I'm not sure of the exact one you would need but I know for sure that they will tell you which one for which size aquarium
You don't have problems with bubbles from your skimmer getting back up into your display? That seems to be a common complaint but I like many of the features the sump offers.
I would go with higher flow with this sump since the refugium and skimmer sections are fed separately. You might want to get closer to that 800gph-900gph flow.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure you can't drill the tank? Most tanks that use tempered glass, usually only temper the bottom. You could go with a "ghost style" overflow and drill the back - if it is not an unusual situation that has a tempered back glass. Definitely check it first. Life will be so much simpler if you don't use a HOB overflow.

As far as a sump goes, 40B are hard to beat. If you want it to look really nice, you could use a kit like this. If you want something nicer, you might want to look at the Elite Aquatics Sumps. That is what I got and I am very pleased with it.

Last edited:

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 40B sump had a sticker like that on the bottom and I drilled about 10 holes in the back glass and one side. Look on YouTube and you can find a video to show you how to use a computer screen, or cell phone, along with some polarized sunglasses to check for tempered glass.

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because, if the HOB ever loses siphon (and they can), there will be nowhere for the water returning from your sump to go - except overflowing the tank and onto your floor. I have never used one, but I have had to baby sit one (135 gallon) a couple of times for a friend of mine when he went out of town. Both times he left me responsible for it, the tank overflowed. HUGE mess. With a drilled overflow, that won't happen. That said, people still continue to use them and while it may work for you most of the time, it is a risk that is really unnecessary these days.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 44 57.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.9%
Back