inletfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a few changes to improve the fish room position so it's now directly behind the tank.

Screen Shot 2020-01-22 at 1.14.30 PM.png

For those of you wondering why I didn't choose an in-wall aquarium, the reason I settled on my current design was due to negotiations with my wife. Since this is going to be a very expensive project, she is concerned about the resale value of the house and return on investment. After consulting with our realtor we decided to have the aquarium free standing so it could be removed easily without requiring major reconstruction. The small bathroom was also a requirement which is why I reduced the original size of the fish room.

Beyond the overall architecture, I haven't yet started the official design process of the fish room. I'm going to leave my mixing station in the garage and run plumbing through the attic into the new fish room for auto water changes and ATO. I also plan to have the sump in the fish room rather than under the tank, along with a frag tank, utility sink, storage cabinets, and a desk for my microscope and where I can do water tests. Of course it will have a floor drain, mildew-resistant drywall, and maybe a dehumidifier. I'll reach out for input once I have a basic plan for the fish room equipment.

Here's a walkthrough video:

second set of steps off of the left side of the lower porch drawing. youll get tired of zig zagging to get into the yard.

awesome plan. im super jelly

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a few changes to improve the fish room position so it's now directly behind the tank.

Screen Shot 2020-01-22 at 1.14.30 PM.png

For those of you wondering why I didn't choose an in-wall aquarium, the reason I settled on my current design was due to negotiations with my wife. Since this is going to be a very expensive project, she is concerned about the resale value of the house and return on investment. After consulting with our realtor we decided to have the aquarium free standing so it could be removed easily without requiring major reconstruction. The small bathroom was also a requirement which is why I reduced the original size of the fish room.

Beyond the overall architecture, I haven't yet started the official design process of the fish room. I'm going to leave my mixing station in the garage and run plumbing through the attic into the new fish room for auto water changes and ATO. I also plan to have the sump in the fish room rather than under the tank, along with a frag tank, utility sink, storage cabinets, and a desk for my microscope and where I can do water tests. Of course it will have a floor drain, mildew-resistant drywall, and maybe a dehumidifier. I'll reach out for input once I have a basic plan for the fish room equipment.

Here's a walkthrough video:

I'm in the process of building a new mixing station in my garage. The details from you mixing station were very helpful in planning the build so thank you. Just curious, how far will the plumbing run be from the garage to the new fish room? I have about 80 feet of horizontal distance so it something I have been thinking about. I was hoping to still use my ATK and was going to employ a second FMM module in the garage and a DOS for automatic water changes.

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of building a new mixing station in my garage. The details from you mixing station were very helpful in planning the build so thank you. Just curious, how far will the plumbing run be from the garage to the new fish room? I have about 80 feet of horizontal distance so it something I have been thinking about. I was hoping to still use my ATK and was going to employ a second FMM module in the garage and a DOS for automatic water changes.

I currently run my DOS and ATK tubing 30 feet from the mixing station in my garage to my sump in the living room. 80 feet should be no problem. The DOS is limited to 24 vertical feet, but practically unlimited horizontal distance since it's a peristaltic pump. The PMUP is rated for 14 vertical feet, but I'm not certain how horizontal distance impacts it. It would be easy to test if you had a 100 foot coil of tubing and just connect the PMUP in a bucket of water to see what happens.

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
second set of steps off of the left side of the lower porch drawing. youll get tired of zig zagging to get into the yard.

awesome plan. im super jelly

Our house is on one acre. That fenced in area around the deck is only for our dog and we don't want him to have unsupervised access outside the fence. We usually go out through the back garage door into the main yard. Here's an aerial view:

Screen Shot 2020-01-22 at 8.34.53 PM.png

Last edited:

inletfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our house is on one acre. That fenced in area around the deck is only for our dog and we don't want him to have unsupervised access outside the fence. We usually go out through the back garage door into the main yard. Here's an aerial view:

Screen Shot 2020-01-22 at 8.34.53 PM.png
nice set up.

i was just throwing it out there because i had a zig zag and it got old quick.

i look forward to seeing your plan come together. looks awesome

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In June 2018 I mounted a NuVision Windows tablet inside my Reefer cabinet door, and left it plugged in and powered on at all times with no screen timeout. Today I found the tablet screen was blank, and upon inspection I found the tablet itself was hot and swollen. The battery is likely damaged and I removed the tablet from the house just in case it catches fire. I'm glad I caught this before I leave today for a week long trip.

68501564_10217127640096332_6653550807096492032_o.jpg

GermanJosh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get a lot of questions about my mixing station, so I'll provide some detail here and a parts list:

A. (qty 2) Norwesco 75 gallon storage tanks with 1.25" threaded bulkheads
B. (qty 1) Mixing pump with 1" male threaded input and output
C. (qty 2) 1.25" threaded male to 1" slip adapters
D. (qty 2) 1" threaded female to 1" slip adapters
E. (qty 5) 1" slip unions
F. (qty 3) 3-way Y fittings
G. (qty 3) 1" T fittings
H. (qty 7) 1" ball valves
I. (qty 4) 1" 90 degree elbow fittings
J. (qty 3) 1" slip bulkheads
K. (qty 2) 1" male slip to 3/4" female threaded adapter
L. (qty 1) 3/4" male threaded to 3/4" camlock female coupler
M. (qty 1) 3/4" camlock male to 3/4" barbed hose adapter
N. (qty 1) 3/4" braided hose
O. (qty 2) Hose clamps
P. (qty 1) 3/4” male threaded to 3/4” barbed hose adapter

Optional parts for Apex automation:
Q. (qty 3) Neptune optical water sensors
R. (qty 2) Magnet mount for optical sensors
S. (qty 1) FMM
T. (qty 1) PM2
U. (qty 1) EB4
V. (qty 1) Heater
W. (qty 1) Temperature probe
X. (qty 1) Salinity probe
Y. (qty 1) DOS
Z. (qty 1) Long AquaBus cable to Apex (if in a different room)

Here are the parts annotated in photos:

Screen Shot 2019-06-15 at 6.29.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-15 at 10.16.53 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-15 at 5.59.48 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-17 at 11.16.21 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-15 at 4.23.25 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-15 at 4.21.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-15 at 4.18.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-15 at 4.07.42 PM.png

IMG_2716.jpg

is there a certain site that you bought all the PVC from? for example, the colored Y fittings?

ReefChef19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is there a certain site that you bought all the PVC from? for example, the colored Y fittings?

Here are a few places you can check out, Amazon being the best usually especially if your a prime member.

Walmart.com
Aquarium specialty.com
Pvcfittingsonline.com
Amazon.com

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just picked up a used Apex Classic along with (2) EB8's , (2) PM2's, (1) PM1, (1) VDM, (1) WXM, (1) ATK, (1) breakout box, (1) display module, and 4 probes which have been stored wet (so they're still usable) from a local reefer for only $300! All my Apex Programming Tutorials were written for the Apex 2016 or Apex-EL, but now I'll finally be able to get some first-hand experience with the older Apex model so I can better answer questions that come up from reefers who haven't yet upgraded.
Uh...me!

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the red match the BRS red? I was going to order a piece to check. This insight will help!

I don't have any red, so I can't give you an answer. All my pipes are orange, and they all match even from different vendors.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She looks surprised that I caught her cheating on the anemone with this goni...

Screen Shot 2020-02-07 at 5.03.59 PM.png
That’s quiet funny the clown actually does look surprised! Lol

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 76.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 6.0%

Back